Unlimited access >

Official Tokyo Olympic Eventing Thread

I believe the live stream is going to be on the NBC Sports Network. At least, that was where it was listed a week or so ago. NBC has a complete schedule listing all the events some place on its platform.

2 Likes

I do, and I understand why it’s a huge part of the conversation. It’s just interesting to note, given how many of the high profile (and deadly) mishaps of late have involved schooling accidents, unrecognized shows, and warm up rings.

Thank you for sharing that inside info!

1 Like

Sad info though it is. I feel bad for Japan. They sunk all that money into the games, built a very controversial stadium among so many other things, geared up for years, and now they have the first ever no-spectators (for all practical purposes) Olympic games.

I learned recently that the contract with the host country is unbelievably one-sided, favouring the IOC. Only the IOC can cancel the games without penalty; the host country suffers enormous penalties for breach.

Most shocking from a legal standpoint is that there is no force majeure clause in the contract. I’ve literally never seen a contract in my decade plus of practice that doesn’t have a force majeure clause. The IOC are super bullies and I hope the countries are able to rein them in going forward somehow.

12 Likes

Very interesting article! It’s hard to overstate how oppressive the heat is in Tokyo in the summer. The school year runs into July and I remember walking the kids to school and just feeling like we were on a death march on the surface of the sun. Training in Wellington was no doubt a brilliant plan.

The other weird thing about Tokyo in the summer is that, for a city, the mosquito situation is out of control. I hope all the teams have plenty of DEET!

6 Likes

It seems they are in Germany now and not Wellington, when they should really be in a hot climate preparing. I wonder when they are allowed to move out of Aachen. I’m sure they have all their little tricks planned to get these horses acclimatized…if they don’t, well, its not going to be a good time for those horses.

Sorry, I was referencing the dressage folks mentioned in that article. That was a brilliant strategy, I thought.

oh dont be sorry, Im a dunce for not getting that LOL

1 Like

How quickly do you think they lose acclimatization? While it may not be Tokyo levels, it’s been plenty hot and humid on the east coast this summer where most of the US eventing horses are based.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think a week or two in Germany is going to mess them up when they’ve been in hot humid conditions for the past couple months.

Its not the eventers who were in Wellington, it was the dressage riders. Tokyo is supposedly hotter than Atlanta.

FEI has a good interesting short video series about it;

5 Likes

Useful information about heat and humidity for everyone, not just Olympians in Tokyo. Thank you for posting the videos.

3 Likes

A friend of mine who lived in Tokyo for several years and now lives in Northern Virginia described the climates as very similar.

1 Like

It’s pretty much the same temperature in Unionville as it is in Atlanta these days.

I think its the altitude along with the intense humidity that makes Tokyo that much hotter. I’m just going by what I have been reading/hearing though. The weather doesn’t look too bad per the weather network but the weather apparently typically shifts in the next week or so.

I think the XC being shortened will certainly help. And the stables having A/C will let the horses rest at night.

The humidity is off the charts. Plus, you’re not in N. VA or Unionville. It’s a classic concrete jungle and the heat is oppressive. It doesn’t cool down enough to stop running the A/C and open the windows (and not fear mosquitoes) until well into October. The outdoor pool where we lived closed the first or second week of October b/c it was still so hot and humid.

I’ve lived in the south of India, Hong Kong, and even a brief stint in Singapore and Tokyo was still a shock. Hard to describe. A friend from the Philippines and one from Thailand also say they thought they’d be okay in Tokyo b/c of where they grew up and they were shocked how much they sweat and suffer in the heat there. I grew up were summer highs are in the mid 70s and you wear a jumper to the beach so I was just a melting mess! :rofl:

2 Likes

I actually think the a/c might be a hindrance. In Florida in the the summer the worst thing you can do is go in and out of a/c during the day. It totally wrecks your acclimation depending on what it’s set at. So hopefully it’s just “cooled” and not refrigerated.

8 Likes

Interesting! Im very interested to see what we learn from this experience and how it effects the horses.

We shouldn’t forget the thriving Japanese racing industry. Their specific knowledge and expertise has been part of the planning.

5 Likes