Unlimited access >

Offset spurs for folks who simple cannot even

My right toe turns out . It just does. I can straighten it for coming down centerline but after trying for 2 years to have them point forward, I realize I am a lost cause. Recently I have given myself right hip pain that wakes me up at night from trying. It’s just my confirmation. Tom Balding can offset spurs to whatever degree you want. Obviously I want them turned out so I can quit jabbing my horse inadvertently. Anyone do this? Where did you get them from?

Look into western spurs…many of them don’t look “western” with tooling, etching, etc. I used to use offset spurs when I rode reining horses. They were offset to angle in. Bet you could find a plain pair and wear the L spur on your R foot (or vice versa) to get what you want at a non-custom price.

5 Likes

FWIW they would probably not be legal to show

2 Likes

Your toes do not have to point completely forward.

You do not have to wear spurs to ride dressage.

5 Likes

Interesting. Had not thought of that. I am an eventer so not sure if that matters. I could school in the offset and show in the reg if I had to.

Oh I do with my lazy boy! My issue is I am giving him spur rubs. I could wear a spur guard around his belly.

work on him being quicker off the leg with the whip?

7 Likes

If you show PSG and up in the US, you do have to have spurs on in the show ring. I believe at CDIs you also have to have spurs on.

2 Likes

I thought the spurs for those levels it can be dummy spurs- basically a piece of metal that goes around the heel but no bump out for the spur.

1 Like

What if you place the spur lower on your heel, as far down as it can go. This way it won’t be rubbing as easily with your heel down.

1 Like

Yes, dummy spurs allowed at FEI and USDF upper levels (and all USDF levels)
OP - you might want to try a couple different styles of spur - maybe one would rub less. My current horse gets rubs from ones that have a flat end or a rounded metal end. He does not get rubs from rowels that have an edge like a dime. Dont know why… Also different length of spur shaft may make a difference. Another thought might be to change your stirrups a hole one way or another.
Last thought is to think about a different stirrup. Perhaps an offset stirrup?

We worked on this today and the trainer taking him in Jan said the same thing. Ask with the leg then correct quickly with the whip if the response wasn’t what was asked.

2 Likes

I used to give my lease horse rubs. Then I started to learn what being in front of the leg actually is. Now we don’t have rubs and I don’t need spurs.

1 Like

I had a trainer do this with my horse, he is now petrified of a dressage whip :frowning: It was an ask, cluck and then smack if no response from asking with leg.

1 Like

Yikes…a smack isn’t it lol. It should be a simple tap.

1 Like

Yup, it was a smack, not even a tickle :frowning: Difficult now that I have a true dressage coach and we could utilize a tickle every so often. Slowly working at getting him to trust it.

1 Like