Unlimited access >

Ogilvy Baby Pads: Love them or hate them?

Bobbigees are awesome :slight_smile:

Belmont, how thick are those Centaur pads? If you’ve ever tried these…

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-international-baby-saddle-pad/p/X1-1923/?ids=fuoahvivhrgqqg3aboyiaib2

These are my dream thickness. But Dover has such limited colors. If the Centaur are comparable…

I love the Ogilvy baby pads. They don’t slip and wash up like brand new. If you are able to go to Mary’s Tack and Feed in person, they have tons of different color combinations for just $37 (for some reason they only offer black and white online).

I just ordered a custom order direct from Ogilvy - binding and piping, with name embroidered on one side and farm logo on the other - and each pad was $68. And yes, love these pads; great thickness, good shape, and love the lack of girth straps!

[QUOTE=jhg140;8760541]
I just ordered a custom order direct from Ogilvy - binding and piping, with name embroidered on one side and farm logo on the other - and each pad was $68. And yes, love these pads; great thickness, good shape, and love the lack of girth straps![/QUOTE]
Baby pads don’t usually have girth straps. I paid extra to get them on my baby pads because I like a them to help hold a pad in place. :shrug:

I love LOVE :love-struck: the Ogilvy baby pad. I hose my off after each ride and magically, every bit of dirt and sweat magically disappears.

My goal is to get rid of every other pad and only use these. I would use them for show as well.

[QUOTE=RugBug;8760599]
Baby pads don’t usually have girth straps. I paid extra to get them on my baby pads because I like a them to help hold a pad in place. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I know - the Ogilvy “baby pads” are definitely more akin to a thin shaped AP pad, though. They are definitely nowhere close to the traditional thin Wilkers baby pads

I’m not too into the memory foam half-pad myself- I did get a gummy half-pad from them, though, which my horse and I really like! It’s thinner and denser than the memory foam so it feels a little closer and less like a giant pillow under the saddle.

As for the baby pads… my entire pad collection has come home to my garage and I really only use the ogilvy baby pads anymore. You just can’t beat the amazing fit. I love the wither contour, they don’t bunch up and wrinkle under the saddle like some of the plain, straight-backed cheap pads you can get anywhere.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8760456]
Bobbigees are awesome :slight_smile:

Belmont, how thick are those Centaur pads? If you’ve ever tried these…

http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-international-baby-saddle-pad/p/X1-1923/?ids=fuoahvivhrgqqg3aboyiaib2

These are my dream thickness. But Dover has such limited colors. If the Centaur are comparable…[/QUOTE]

I think they are a 1/2" thick. I have a riders international pad, and it MIGHT be a tiny bit thicker, but I honestly don’t use that pad much after getting these.

[QUOTE=Belmont;8760771]
I think they are a 1/2" thick. I have a riders international pad, and it MIGHT be a tiny bit thicker, but I honestly don’t use that pad much after getting these.[/QUOTE]

Darn it. Those ones I linked to are thinner even than a typical rider’s pad and thinner than 1/2". They are the PERFECT THICKNESS, shaped, have girth loops-- perfect in every way except for only coming in 3 colors :frowning:

I have used the Ogilvy baby pads and like them, but for anyone looking for other options, I am a HUGE fan of the SmartPak AP Lite saddle pads (https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smartpak-lite-ap-saddle-pad-9504). Inexpensive, the perfect thickness IMHO, and they have girth straps which are a must for me. Color options are somewhat limited if you like things other than white, but I love having the piping in varying colors while still having the white pad.

I agree! i have several of the Ogilvy pads (which i certainly like), but now have about 10 of the Smartpak AP lite pads, which are just as good, and much cheaper. I use the pad once and wash it after, and so far, they have held up nicely and come out clean. I usually wait for the free monograming from Smartpak and stock up!

[QUOTE=MagicTreehouse;8760852]
I have used the Ogilvy baby pads and like them, but for anyone looking for other options, I am a HUGE fan of the SmartPak AP Lite saddle pads (https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smartpak-lite-ap-saddle-pad-9504). Inexpensive, the perfect thickness IMHO, and they have girth straps which are a must for me. Color options are somewhat limited if you like things other than white, but I love having the piping in varying colors while still having the white pad.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=vxf111;8760826]
Darn it. Those ones I linked to are thinner even than a typical rider’s pad and thinner than 1/2". They are the PERFECT THICKNESS, shaped, have girth loops-- perfect in every way except for only coming in 3 colors :([/QUOTE]

Those lite pads are the perfect thickness!! I loved mine, and they lasted for years and years. I finally retired my last one a few weeks ago; it was probably 10 years old if not more. I’ve never found any others that are that thin-but-still-durable, with a shaped wither, but the Ogilvys are close. And they come in better colors :wink:

I have a couple of the SP lite pads, but they aren’t quite long enough to make it easy to use the girth straps under my length of saddle flap. If I don’t use the straps, the pad definitely moves around. They don’t wash up quite as nice and are thicker than the Ogilvy baby pad but certainly not bad for the price.