Unlimited access >

Ogilvy vs Ecogold Flip Pad (vs Equifit??)

Before anyone says it - I know there has been threads on this, but I didn’t find them very useful.

I have two Ogilvys currently and I like them, but I’m not completely sold. I’m curious to try an Ecogold Flip Pad but since my Ogilvy is doing its job for now I’m looking to get people’s opinions first! Also if anyone has experience with Equifit half pads I’d love to hear about that as well.

The half pad will be used mainly for minor saddle fit corrections. I ride a lot of different horses and want to make them as comfortable as possible in my saddle. Of course, I don’t use my saddle on them if the fit is WAY off.

Thanks !!!

To me, the Ogilvy and the Equifit seem to be very similar, except for the cover. Ecogold seems to have a denser foam.

I have the Ecogold Hunter pad. I bought it to show in because I don’t want the bulk since my saddle is a close fit anyway. My CWD rep told me unless your saddle doesn’t fit correctly you never want to use a 1/2 just makes the saddle fit tighter. Sometimes people just want them for a fashion statement seems like.

I agree with the above poster. I am also not a huge “half pad on every horse I ride” fan. I don’t like the Ogilvys… They’re so thick and I’m not sure I buy into memory foam being used to reduce impact thing. I prefer idea of the ecogold.

I just saw in infrared study that i think eco-gold did for their half pads - let me see if I can find it.

in the meantime, I’ve had great success with the thinline half pads for reducing shock.

[QUOTE=AutumnReign;8483429]
I just saw in infrared study that i think eco-gold did for their half pads - let me see if I can find it.

in the meantime, I’ve had great success with the thinline half pads for reducing shock.[/QUOTE]

got it!

https://ecogold.ca/amazing-results-from-ecogold-saddle-pads-in-pressure-scans/

it was a study for the pressure spots. interesting none the less

There is a cool comparative study on the different pads on Invictus’ page:

http://invictus-equestrian.com/performance/

It basically shows that they are the Ogilvy ones are the best for compression but the Ogilvy ones are much thicker. So it depends on what you want for saddle fit. The Thinline tests significantly worse, and the Equifit worse than the Ogilvy. Doesn’t separate out the Ecogold but I’d say it would be comparable to whatever memory foam one is a similar thickness.

I like my equifit but thats because I got it on clearance at my local tack shop for 50 bucks :smiley:

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;8483471]
There is a cool comparative study on the different pads on Invictus’ page:

http://invictus-equestrian.com/performance/

It basically shows that they are the Ogilvy ones are the best for compression but the Ogilvy ones are much thicker. So it depends on what you want for saddle fit. The Thinline tests significantly worse, and the Equifit worse than the Ogilvy. Doesn’t separate out the Ecogold but I’d say it would be comparable to whatever memory foam one is a similar thickness.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think ecogold is memory foam

Sold my Ogilvy in favor of a cheaper option until I could try an EcoGold. However, my Lami-Cell does the trick.

I have noticed you see a ton of used Ogilvy’s for sale on eBay, FB, etc, and I have only ever seen a handful of used EcoGold half pads for sale.

OP - be aware that the Ecogold flip pads and the triple protection half pads are NOT the same. The triple protection pads are the ones that have had the testing done. Brita Rizzi of Dynamic Equine in NC has done numerous tests with her computer pressure scanning (the one where you put the pad under the saddle and then ride around) and almost always, the Ecogold Triple Protection pad has improved the fit, even those that might be too narrow.

I have sooo many half pads, but I keep coming back to the Ecogold. HTH!

That’s what I’m feeling ! Just not sold on the whole memory foam thing

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;8483315]
I agree with the above poster. I am also not a huge “half pad on every horse I ride” fan. I don’t like the Ogilvys… They’re so thick and I’m not sure I buy into memory foam being used to reduce impact thing. I prefer idea of the ecogold.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I’m feeling! Just not sold on the whole memory foam thing

[QUOTE=eventer_mi;8483978]
OP - be aware that the Ecogold flip pads and the triple protection half pads are NOT the same. The triple protection pads are the ones that have had the testing done. Brita Rizzi of Dynamic Equine in NC has done numerous tests with her computer pressure scanning (the one where you put the pad under the saddle and then ride around) and almost always, the Ecogold Triple Protection pad has improved the fit, even those that might be too narrow.

I have sooo many half pads, but I keep coming back to the Ecogold. HTH![/QUOTE]

Thank you !! I had seen the study but never even thought to find out which pad it was for !

I have always said that someone will have to pry my Ecogold Triple Protection half pad out of my cold, dead hands. That said, they recently started making them in a larger size, so my current pad will go on the market eventually so that I can afford a new one. It has made a hell of a difference on every single horse I’ve put it on.

Just want to clarify that the Ecogold Triple Protection Half Pad does contain memory foam. It uses three types of foam (hence triple in the name), but you wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell by feeling the pad. It feels nothing like an ogilvy. The foam is much firmer. Ecogold pads are excellent quality. I also believe in any products with actual testing behind them. I almost bought into the ogilvy thing, but I need facts to tell me what sets this fad apart from another product.

And forget about equifit, their pad I believe is just claims without any type of science to back it up.

[QUOTE=jen-s;8493205]
I have always said that someone will have to pry my Ecogold Triple Protection half pad out of my cold, dead hands. That said, they recently started making them in a larger size, so my current pad will go on the market eventually so that I can afford a new one. It has made a hell of a difference on every single horse I’ve put it on.[/QUOTE]

LMAO that’s hilarious. I think that will be something I need to invest in!

[QUOTE=shadedingray;8493403]
Just want to clarify that the Ecogold Triple Protection Half Pad does contain memory foam. It uses three types of foam (hence triple in the name), but you wouldn’t necessarily be able to tell by feeling the pad. It feels nothing like an ogilvy. The foam is much firmer. Ecogold pads are excellent quality. I also believe in any products with actual testing behind them. I almost bought into the ogilvy thing, but I need facts to tell me what sets this fad apart from another product.

And forget about equifit, their pad I believe is just claims without any type of science to back it up.[/QUOTE]

I figured it did but I also knew it had more stuff :wink: and yea pretty much! I totally bought into the fad but came to my senses eventually. I am too science-y for that.