Unlimited access >

Ogilvy vs Prolite Half Pad

I’m looking for a new half pad to use for both my dressage and jumping saddles that will lift my saddle up in the front (shims, etc).

From my research, Ogilvy and Prolite both seem to be good options, however I am trying to figure out which one is better. I am on a budget, however I am willing to spend the $ for whatever is best for my horse.

No one at my barn has these, so I cannot try out someone elses:cry: .

Also, how much coverage do these have? (As in, does it cover the entire weight bearing surface of the saddle, where so many half pads just seem to be abruptly cut off).

I love the Prolite pad (http://lindsayberreth.com/2012/12/11/product-review-prolite-relief-pad/). It doesn’t slip out from under my saddle, which was a problem I was having with my high-withered horse.

It has three pockets for shims, which I’d never seen before, and mine came with a couple of different shims of varying thicknesses. Mine fits well under my 18" jumping saddle, and nearly two years after I bought it, the shims haven’t flattened out, which was something I worried about since they’re sort of like memory foam.

I’ve never tried an Ogilvy, but I see that they have custom options which is neat.

I have prolite pads, but not the shimmable one. I LOVE them. Been using them for many many years.

ETA: mine are the Large size and have ample coverage for my 18 inch jumping saddles and 19 inch dressage saddle.

Thanks for the replies! It seems like people rave over both of them, so it is hard to make a decision. The Prolite seems like it actually has more science behind it. I can see memory foam wearing out.

What I really like about the pro-lite pad is that it doesn’t “squish away to nothing” like memory foam can.

Do those of you that have the Pro-lite and Ogilvy use them both for jumping and dressage? I find my seat aids seem muddled for my Thoroughbred when I use the Thinline, so wondered if it might be the same with these other pads. He seems fine with a Mattes, but now my younger horse whose shape keeps changing could use something, but don’t want to have to buy both a jumping and dressage model. Anyone able to say whether which Ogilvy shape works best with both types of saddles?

I have used the Pro-lite with both jumping and dressage. Don’t notice any lack of feel, etc. :slight_smile:

My Ogilvy raises up the front my saddle very nicely, my saddle fitter said she loves the Ogilvy’s for that reason. I noticed someone said something about the memory foam “squishing away to nothing” which I personally think is better as it doesn’t interfere with saddle fit and gives you a better feel of the horse, unlike other pads.

If you go with the Ogilvy you could get the jumper pad or the dressage one, the only difference is how the front is cut. Take a look at both online to decide which will fit better under both.

One more plus about the Ogilvy’s is that the cover are machine washable and come out SO nicely, basically brand new. No fussing in the bathtub with sheepskin :wink:

If it squishes down to something wafer thin, whats the point of using it? How can it raise your saddle if its so squishy that it becomes like there is virtually nothing there?

People have long since given up on gel pads for the same reason.

In one sentence you say it raises up the front of your saddle and in the other you say it doesn’t interfere with saddle fit. Well, it’s one or the other, it either makes a difference or it does not. And if you don’t want something to alter the fit of your saddle, why use a half pad in the first place?!?!?

I was a little confused by that also…

Have you ever seen one being used or felt one? The memory foam compresses where I sit, and then since their isn’t as much weight at the front it raises up, common physics anyone? Also I’ve used the Ogilvy almost everyday for a year and the foam is still in great shape. I think of the pad as an insole for a shoe, it doesn’t interfere with the fit of the shoe, it just adds comfort, and the case of my horse, a little extra relief in the wither area.

If you think any of this is contradictory of either my other post or what you think or have heard about pad, watch one in action.

Yeah, I still think you are contradicting yourself.

I have felt one, my take was that they aren’t worth the money.

And insoles do interfere (whether for good or bad) with the fit of shoes. They take up space within the shoe.

Common physics: two solid objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

[QUOTE=Jumpthejump;7660770]
Have you ever seen one being used or felt one? The memory foam compresses where I sit, and then since their isn’t as much weight at the front it raises up, common physics anyone? Also I’ve used the Ogilvy almost everyday for a year and the foam is still in great shape. I think of the pad as an insole for a shoe, it doesn’t interfere with the fit of the shoe, it just adds comfort, and the case of my horse, a little extra relief in the wither area.

If you think any of this is contradictory of either my other post or what you think or have heard about pad, watch one in action.[/QUOTE]

There are a ton of Ogilvy pads at my barn, and I’ve ridden many many horses with the Ogilvy half-pad. I agree that it generally raises the pommel, and that the memory foam compresses…but I completely disagree with you regarding the impact on fit.

Even the thinner gummy Ogilvie will affect fit - and this can be a good thing depending on the horse/saddle fit - but the notion that it doesn’t interfere or affect the fit of the saddle is not correct, nor is it logical. Anytime you add pads between the saddle and the horse, you are affecting the fit to some degree - obviously the thinner the pad (ex: baby pad), the less fit is impacted. That isn’t necessary a bad thing - for instance my saddle is a little on the wide side for my guy (a growing nearly 5 year old) so my pad choices are made with that in mind. As he adds muscle/changes shape, I may need to re-think my various pad solutions. By the same token, I do like using a half pad with shock absorbing capabilities and feel that my horse goes better with one, so any future saddles will be bought and fitted with that in mind.