Oh. My. God. Best $15 I ever spent!!

I thought this merited it’s own thread, since soooo many different issues share the same problem with lack of restful sleep due to chronic pain…

On the Fibro thread, someone recommended an air mattress. I have trouble only during flares, but when I have flares… sleep can make things worse rather than better. I also do not wake up refreshed 90% of the time, despite getting 8 or even 9 hrs. of sleep.

Woke up yesterday with a cluster migraine. Drugged up, went to my Doc appt. Had to stop at a discount/clearance store for a dog tieout… and they had air mattresses on sale for $15 with the pump. I’d been eyeballing them for a month since they got them in, they were marked at $25 for a twin. I figured, what the heck. $15 is worth trying. Went for twin size, figuring if I like it, I can go queen size (bed frame is queen) before winter. For summer I don’t want the dogs next to me anyway. :lol:

Inflated it today… couldn’t get it to inflate past a certain point… but when I crawled onto it to test it… OH MY GOD. Immediate bliss. to the point that I literally passed out for an hour and a half nap!! Wasn’t planning THAT! :lol: :sleepy:

Had another couple hours tonight before my graveyard… and it is wonderful. Amazing. NO pressure points. No sore spots. I don’t even think my right arm fell asleep… (which it does, when I’m on my LEFT side… go figure… :uhoh: )

It will need a proper “topper.” At this point I’m looking at real sheepskin. Cool in summer, warm in winter… I dunno.

But it is just SOOOOOOO amazing. CHEAP too. I can’t afford a really good mattress. Even the good memory foam toppers are out of my range… The cheap ones are just throwing away money.

I just put this right on top of my futon mattress. (Futon mattress in a waterbed frame,) Which makes it still firm underneath, if that makes sense. I think you could put it on top of any box spring.

Seriously. I am SO GRATEFUL to whomever suggested it. (Tollertwins? Whicker? I can’t remember… :uhoh: ) and really, truly think it’s worth a try if you can’t afford an uber mattress but are having trouble sleeping well without pain.

I swap out between an air mattress, my couch with a memory foam topper added to it, and our generic memory foam bed with down feather and memory foam topper. The air mattress works best when I don’t sleep with my husband ( I know that sounds horrible) due to having two people on it makes the lighter person be stuck on a firmer side of the mattress.

Glad you found something that works for you : )

:lol: I know what you mean though… that’s why I can’t have a waterbed any more–critters. :stuck_out_tongue:

Claire expressed her approveal while the darn thing was still filling. Seriously, what cat decides to sleep on a mattress while an air compressor is still noisily inflating it?

Good to know about switching out. I have always ADORED my futon mattress… but my hips and even knees ache soooo badly during flares. We’ll see how this does.

Sometimes it IS all about ‘different’ pressure points, isn’t it? What a good point.

I put a snugfleece original over my air mattress. They are not cheap (like $165 for a twin), but are really dense wool fleece pile - MUCH denser than regular sheepskin. And even some of the good memory foam breaks down …

And I have to brush mine up every few days with my fingers.

This is who I got it from…They were having a 20% off sale earlier in the week - the coupon was MOTHER10. Shipping is free, and I believe they have a 30 day send it back policy.

http://dreamsoftbedware.com/coyuchi.html

I think tolertwins is the one to thank, although I appreciate your thinking it was me. I have the tempurpedic foam with a thicker matress pad cover on it than they reccomend. I hate hurting while waiting for it to warm up enough to soften to shape to me.

I am going to look at the topper idea. How is it to wash?

Ironically I was going to have hubby dig out the air mattress for me to try. Since my pathetic preggo self is sooo sore and the regular mattress seems to irritate my legs/hip/back to no end.

I thought the air mattress might be more forgiving. PP your post has convinced me…

My friend and I have air mattresses that we take with us anytime we go anywhere horse related - to inspections, overnight for shows, away clinics, always to Dressage at Devon. We put them on the hotel beds and sleep like babies. The maids do a double take the first night, but we find the beds next night made up beautifully over the air matresses. We always joke that it is amazing that wherever we stay, the beds are always the same. :D:lol::winkgrin::wink: We don’t leave home without 'em.