Oh well THIS is fun

I’ve been having some pulmonary problems lately and one of the potential diagnoses that I’m looking at is actually tuberculosis (gulp). Very odd that I might be consumptive! I feel like I’m back in the 1800’s. Maybe I should get a white handkerchief and cough into it.

Anyway, anyone here been riding while on those lovely antibiotics for 6 months? How has it been? Have you been able to do what you want? How has your breathing been?

No experience to offer.

I am so sorry for you !

My riding friend is taking the antibiotics. So far so good.

Thanks guys. I had a negative test by one millimeter! Holy crap that was close. Chest x-ray today confirmed that I’m clean too. Whew.

I was going to say - the vacant sanitoriums might be great paces to ride your horse!

Ever wonder how Mimi in La Boheme could sing so well and so looooonnnnggg?

WHEW!!!

Well I’m permanently on antibiotics and have been for 14 years now. I’ve had everything and anything including PCP pneumonia.

I am most relieved it was not TB. Although it is certainly making a come back and is proving very difficult to treat.

Keep riding and active, but within the limitations of your breathing. We don’t want you turning blue and passing out! Don’t stress your lungs with exercise in cold air, which will cause like a mild burn and aggravate the irritation. And most of all, don’t over-exercise and tire yourself out. Your illness is probably doing a fine enough job of tiring you out already!

I might suggest you ride in arenas that aren’t dusty, which will most definitely aggravate your breathing. You could try wearing a mask while grooming (I know, looks silly), but I mean it as a means of testing whether you’re reacting to all the flaky skin and shedding hair that is really prevalent this time of year. Are your Respirologists looking at possible asthma as a cause? My husband has mild asthma. It seems to act up when the horses shed in the spring, and around alfalfa hay. Grass hay baled pre or post bloom he’s totally fine with. And, of course, it acts up if he gets a cold, just to add to the misery. My nephew on the other hand, has severe asthma and life can quickly alternate between fine and dandy, and downright scary when he’s struggling just to breathe.

As for the coughing, it’s extremely annoying. I’m just getting over pneumonia myself, and the irritated, violent, persistent coughing is extraordinarily frustrating - just go away already!!! Nothing but time for the irritation to subside.

Sometimes hot water, a tablespoon of lemon and honey to sweeten to taste helps soothe. Natural Honey also has natural antibiotic properties. Standing in a steamy shower helps clear and soothe the lungs while breathing slowly and deeply. Otherwise, lots of green tea for the antioxidents to boost your immune system, 1000 mg of Vitamin C (not proven, but won’t hurt), and reduce coffee and sodas and drinks scads of water. For whatever reason, the experts seem to say that there are properties in coffee seem to aggravate coughing. Not sure why that is, but I did notice it to be so during my pneumonia. If you’re nauseated because of excessive coughing, peppermint tea will help soothe jumbled intestines, and also Ginger tea or Ginger Ale but the latter in moderation because of the sugar.

Thanks guys. I wasn’t looking forward to having to go around to my acquaintances and say “You know that time I was coughing in the same room as you? Well…” That would make me popular!

I’m seeing a pulmonologist about this whole coughing up blood business. It’s really irritating. Hopefully the new doctors will get me some answers!