Unlimited access >

Okay, more turnout rug questions; what think we of Schneiders?

https://www.sstack.com/waterproof-horse-turnout-blankets-and-sheets/c/1102/

I have a heavyweight with neck; still going strong after many years - but I don’t use it every season so it’s lasted longer than it normally might.

They are having a sale right now so I thought I might take a chance on one - trying to avoid paying Rambo prices if I can avoid it! My Rambo sheet *finally just disintegrated. It lasted me a LONG time on my older, retired mare who is pretty easy on her clothing (she is on field board, no shelter), but it gave up the ghost at last so has pushed my hand.

Feedback would be appreciated, TIA!

Big fan. Regular Stormshields are what I’ve used most. I don’t see the model I have so they may not make it anymore, but it has the VTek or V-Free wither

A few years ago I got the StormShield Blizzard High Neck, and a couple of StormShield Nordlund High Necks, and so far they are really nice.

I’ve also had their 80gm fill sheets. Looking through things I think maybe what is now Armorflex may be what I used to have.

1 Like

I have the Challenger blankets and sheets and just love them. They’re super waterproof, warm, and fairly indestructible. I do my best to watch sales, and usually get them 1/2 price or less.

1 Like

I have had success with Schneider’s turn-out blankets. Good coverage, comfortable fit and durable ! They also have sizes for all including
Large and Small !

Hijack •
How’s Ella ? And your new puppy = ‘squirrel in the house’ ?

1 Like

My storm shields have lasted forever

1 Like

I love all things Schneiders. Last and last for a great price. There aren’t many things you can say that about. They also have a great selection for different body types, etc.

2 Likes

Schneider’s is all I’ll use. I had a set of Stormshields that are on their 5th year and going strong. I bought them for my senior WB and then they became hand me downs for another boarder after my horse passed.

New OTTB is far more active than my senior horse, and plays ROUGH. I bought a new set of Stormshields for him, but they lasted less than a week. So I tried SmartPak Ultimates - didn’t like the fit and they got torn up like tissue paper.

Finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Schneider’s Warrior turnouts with the VTek adjustable fit. He’s narrow with a shark fin wither, so the VTek makes a huge difference in the fit for him. They have a lifetime warranty, 1680 denier ballistic nylon. So far they’ve held up beautifully. He’s a thin-skinned FL bred that doesn’t tolerate Upstate NY cold well, so I really like that the Schneider’s blankets also come in a bellyband option.

1 Like

I tried that Ultimate one year for my young horse, thinking with a 10 year warranty it must be great. Wear #2 he ripped it along the side, wear #4 he broke the front snaps. He’s been in Schneiders since then, first a hand-me-down, then his own new one, and they’re still going strong.

1 Like

Wow, these reviews seem to be pretty unanimous - all raves! :heart:

I guess my durable, quality heavyweight Schneiders (which is now at least 10 years old) wasn’t a fluke.

Thanks, everyone – I’m going to order a couple tonight :+1:

5 Likes

Wwhoa ! what about Ella ? and your puppy ?

2 Likes

:laughing:

Sorry, @Zuzu! I did mean to respond, but was at a show all day so was posting from my phone on the way home, husband was driving (and finally! got home and am just sitting down to my laptop), thank you AS ALWAYS for thinking of me, you are so kind! :heart:

Both girls are great; puppy is now 9 1/2 months old if you can believe it, and Ella is NINE! Good girls, both of them - the apples of my eye :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you !!! Please remind me of your puppy’s name ~ can’t for the life of me remember and I have not even recently hit my head too hard ! Lol TIA

Hoping Ella was the Blue Ribbon Winner today ! ?! Or were you coaching students ?

adding yes glad your H was driving while you were posting

1 Like

Tea (like Leoni with an accent over the e, but I can’t seem to figure out how to do that on the BB), alas, Ella wasn’t the blue ribbon winner today, LOL (she decided to give me the middle hoof in the dressage ring - despite the fact that she has overall been much more consistent lately! Mares, OY!), but she jumped fantastic as usual to lots of compliments from the crowd; we wound up 6th.

This was a CT but I have my final Horse Trials coming up next Saturday at a venue where she always does well in all phases, so I am optimistic. :wink: (She has a wall full of ribbons, though we have had an abbreviated 2021 season due to me tearing my hamstring tendons partially off my pelvis last November thereby having to recover over the winter/spring, and then the puppy…No, I didn’t fall - I tore it IN THE AIR over a jump, if you can believe it!)

Tea has been through Puppy and Intermediate classes with me (my daughter brought her to my classes), and I’m looking into doing nosework classes and agility now that my season is winding down - and when she gets to be old enough. She turns one year on my birthday (1/9), and of course that’s the middle of winter sigh, so we will have to wait until next spring.

I hope all is well with you and your menagerie! :heart:

2 Likes

Love your update ! 2021 has been a good year for the Dr. and her girls/ apples !

All is fine here !

1 Like

Another Schneiders fan here - I had one that I bought in 2007 and it only just sort of cashed it in last winter. . . I have Stormshields and V-Tek blankets and sheets as well and they’ve held up very well for me. These blankets have features the Rambos do not have: leg straps (I hate tail cords - useless on the windy prairie and they just get pooped on) fleece at the withers, shoulder gussets, matching neck covers, and a variety of cuts to fit a variety of conformations.
I think they’re awsome.

Love the Schneiders blankets. They fit so well and stay waterproof. My mare is a curvy lady and the V-Free style fit her like a glove. I haven’t had a chance to use them a bunch but I would definitely recommend them! Their fly sheets are great too.

For a while, Schneider’s were among the very few with shoulder gussets that were high enough AND in the right place, to actually allow the shoulders to move. Maybe there are more now. But at one point, most had gussets that were short, and so far forward all they did was allow forearm freedom, not the shoulders.

Another Schneiders super fan! I repair blankets in my “spare time” and I have seen about every brand come through including Bucus, Horseware Ireland, Weatherbeater, Rambo, Centaur and more. This month I went through cases of old blankets/sheets, repaired and donated over 40 to two seperate causes.

My geldings are either wearing VTek Warrior midweights (the foam padded wither is a godsend for my old warmblood who is getting a bit sway backed and narrow chested, high withered appendix. The Roly Poly two got new Contour collar extremes for this year.

Of the Scneiders I donated they had 7 patches between them, needed new legstraps, some sunfade and some hardware was corroded. The oldest was purchased in 2001. I kept 4 more SS blankets back, all had done 5+ seasons and needed very little repair. These are for my neighbor who is an idiot :roll_eyes: .

As for the rest of the donation, many were never picked up after repair, I was gifted, etc. These needed dozens of repairs, ripped linings, bent buckles, stitching unraveling, huge tears, etc. The only other brands I would recommend as well as Schneiders is Bucus and the top line Rambo. But those are 3x the price of Schneiders.

No thanks, my party boys
(let me tell you they party hard), will be warm and dry in SS tack blankets until death do them part.

2 Likes

I love Schneider’s too.

This is a small, family company, and I appreciate that. All their products seem to be thoughtfully selected, and are good value for money. Their customer service is great, and their shipping is timely.

Big thumbs up. :+1:

1 Like

Boy, these are some overwhelmingly positive testimonials! You guys sold me :smile::smile:

I got their turnout sheet with neck - paid $7.99 shipping and it was to me in two days. The quality looks great, I haven’t tried it on my horse yet, but it should fit both of my mares. We are expecting rain overnight tonight and all day tomorrow and I have a show on Saturday, so I plan to clean up my mare as well as I can today, and then see how well the sheet does its job :crossed_fingers:

1 Like