Unlimited access >

Okay, more turnout rug questions; what think we of Schneiders?

I’ve been happy with the Schneiders blanket & lined sheet, except for the hardware. Really cheap metal, and I had to replace the clips at the front of the blanket. Not a big deal, just aggravating.
I do think the Schneiders blankets run large, by the way.

Weird, because absolutely none of the hardware on any of my blankets or sheets over the last 15 or so years have been damaged.

I take that back - some of the original leg strap clips did lose their springs, but that can be said of most of the replacements :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been very happy with Schneider’s.
I used to buy Rambo, but I just really felt they were too expensive.
Schneider’s has a blanket that seems to fit my horse well and I haven’t had issues with them not holding up (though my current horse is not super hard on blankets). I wish they came in more colors, but overall I am very happy with them.

I had bought a bunch of blankets from Schneiders on the positive recommendations from folks here. Except it seems something changed since I had issues with every single blanket I got from them. Neck cover, Stormshield VTEK light, medium & heavy plus 2 mini blankets. The Stormshield leaked & didn’t keep my horse dry. She’s a sedate senior with no mobility issues, and I’m still trying to figure out how the lining on the inside of the neck cover disintegrated. One of the blankets soaked through the first time I used it on a cold, rainy day. Took a couple rain storms before the other 2 soaked through. They also got torn up too easily, considering how easy this mare is on blankets. The minis shredded theirs.

By comparison, I have had no durability or waterproofing issues with the old Centaur blanket I have nor the Weatherbeeta & Rambos I got to replace the Schneiders stuff. The Kensington blankets I have for the minis have held up much better too, and are less damaged by those little equine monsters in the past 4 years than the Schneiders took in 1 year.

On a safety note, I am not at all pleased by the proportions of the Schneiders mini blankets. They’re too long on my shortest mini, almost to her knees…which on her is about 6" off the ground.

I also had a bunch of customer service issues, with things covered under warranty. Their sizing is also wildly inconsistent. The neck cover falling apart would’ve been covered under warranty, except for the fact that the replacement neck cover was way too long (almost to her hindquarters) and there was no way to get the snaps & d rings to line up at all. I’m rather mystified by how so many like Schneiders, since what I got was a lot of junk.

If you’re on a budget, look at the Centaur or Weatherbeeeta. Or try to find Rambos on sale. I am extremely happy with how my feed store cheapo Centaur blanket has held up.

2 Likes

Wow that is so frustrating!

Oh dear! :hushed::disappointed_relieved:

I just ordered a high neck midweight for my older retired mare who lives out 24/7 without shelter. (She has an older Rambo midweight which has been cleaned and waterproofed, but it is showing its years so I wanted to get her some thing newer and better.) Right now she is wearing the Rambo sheet that I usually use on her daughter, and I’ve been putting the Schneiders sheet on my younger mare. It kept her dry about a month ago after a significant rain storm, but now I’m worried about this midweight being up to snuff!

:worried:

I was a Schneiders fan until recently. The last two I bought were nothing like the years previous. I was very lucky and tractor supply had 50% off the weatherbeeta comfortec plus. What a bargain, it is so far held up way better than anything else I had, fit is pretty good. But it’s light years better than the Schneiders I purchased for only a little less money. Hardware is a big difference as someone has mentioned.

Yup

I think that there is probably going to be inconsistency with materials and worksmanship in
nearly any brand. . . it’s terribly frustrating. . but for the most part I’ve had very good luck
with Schneiders and I agree with JB - you have to know your horse and get what you think will fit
him/her as company size charts seem a bit wonky to me, for a lot of various horse related items.

Schneiders is my Go TO store for almost everything they carry.

1 Like

Ive tried the V Fee and then recently the VTEK models for my Arabians. The problem I’ve had with Schneiders blankets is that I always have to adjust the too large neck, and it leaves a gap where water and snow gets in. I can never seem to get the fit right between the front buckles and the adjust a neck.

1 Like

This is where the high neck makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Yeah, I got a schneiders blanket for the first time this winter for my new TB. It’s…meh. I don’t like the adjust a neck, unless you have a horse with a big neck, it does leave gaps & awkward material bunching. Also, one of the keepers for the chest straps has already ripped out of its stitching within a month or so (my horses are not generally hard on blankets). That makes me leery of the rest of it, but too soon to tell how that will play out. I will definitely not buy this design again & I wouldn’t recommend them for a smaller bodied horse. Mine is 16.1, but relatively light-bodied.

It’s not 100% bad - I do like the techno-fleece insulation, it’s lighter than regular fill but just as warm. And I appreciate that the chest buckles which I dislike (bolt snaps which are too big & fiddly for winter gloves) are not sewn in so they are able to be easily switched for more user friendly snaps. The chest velcro actually works most of the time & the drape length is good.

It’s not worth trying to return, I live in a rural area, so don’t have convenient ups store. Live & learn. I much prefer both the centaur & smartpak (deluxe & ultimate) blankets I have, they fit my horses better & have had no issues.

2 Likes

I finally got a Schneider’s this year. It’s a Stormshield with the High Neck fit. It’s been a great blanket so far and fits well. It went on sale shortly after I bought it. I caught the sale price and got them to refund me the difference.

Schneider’s prices are also very reasonable, especially for the quality. The Schneider’s blanket replaced a $300 Rambo blanket that I was forced to buy a few years ago. I had tried and returned several blankets through SmartPak and still hadn’t found a new one that fit. The Rambo was the only blanket available in store that fit my horse when there was an incoming strong cold front. The Rambo also had this bizarre single rear strap that the horse just poops on instead of dual straps that you cross through their hind legs.

Now that I know how they fit, Schneider’s are the only blanket I’ll buy unless I find the right one on sale. For example I was able to get my horse a light weight Saxon blanket for $33. It seemed worth it even if it only lasts a couple winters.

1 Like

I thought I liked them. I bought them for a bunch of my horses and haven’t been very happy with them. The waterproofing has failed on a few of them. Others have fallen apart — the binding came off one, the little triangle over the shoulder gusset is peeling off. The “lifetime” warranty is only 3 replacements… my super easy on his blankets horse is on his 3rd in 5 years. Very disappointing.

Also, they’ve rubbed all of my horses which are a variety of shapes and sizes. I’m going to sell them this fall.

i bought 9 turnout rugs since December. 3 Rhinos (hate them) and all the others i got from Chicks. Really deep discount after christmas sale. If i get two years out of those i’ll feel i got my money’s worth. The fit of them is very good.

I liked the ones I got from the recent chick’s sale too. I had a new sales horse in that wore the one size I don’t own, 81. $200 and he was outfitted. I did pick him up a combo neck in the most recent schneider’s sale, and I will say I like it.

The high neck ones seem to fit my horses the best. Something about that high neck keeps the rugs from falling back to the rear and pulling on their chests. Two of the ones i got from Chicks have an incorporated full neck, all the rest of them are just high neck. And i got all of them in 300 and high denier. I think they’re only 79 dollars now. Thinking of buying a couple of extra just to have available.

Another detail I observed recently on the schneiders I have, it’s the vtek (I think, whatever the one is for high withered horses) & it does not have fleece at withers. It rubs out the mane in that area. I’ve never had a blanket do that before (all my other blankets have fleece). I’m not a hair nazi, so I’m not going to lose my mind about it, but thought I’d mention it for the barbie-horse people for whom hair is sacred.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing happening on them in just a couple months. The horses get really wet under them even in moderate rain & they’re literally falling apart even with horses that aren’t rough on them

1 Like