Unlimited access >

Old HORSES Magazine, circa Judith Spreckels

I scored ten of them from 1967-69 on eBay yesterday! LOVED it when Judith Spreckels had it, LOVED it when the Quirks had it.

Can’t wait until they arrive - quite the trip down memory lane to come, and then I’ll pass them on.

How bizarre! I was just looking for my old copies of that magazine at home. I had 2 or 3 from 88/89, but I can’t find them. I have a horrible feeling I recycled them in a fit of decluttering. :frowning:

One is from 1964. Can’t wait until they arrive. Another gal has ten or so from the 70s and 80s on eBay, but wants $25 each for them. I couldn’t stop laughing.

How much do you think they should go for Coreene? I’m curious.

and I don’t suppose you lend yours out? :wink:

About $15 is the highest I’ve seen them go for (and actually sell). I loaned out a bunch a few years ago, and never saw them again, so no loaning.

I was figuring $10-15. And would pay something around that.

as for your magazines that went walk-about - that would make me so mad! :mad: Sorry that happened to you!

Remarkably I have found some old issues of Horses magazine from the 70’s and 80’s while cleaning up, and I wonder: how much do you think they might be worth?
I have complete years of issues, and they are all in very good condition.
I’d be grateful for your thoughts! Thanks!!

Don’t know! But I want some of the ones from the 80’s if you decide to sell them… :winkgrin:

I think I still have some HorsePlay Magazines somewhere. I used to like that magazine.

[QUOTE=SusieG;8751167]
Remarkably I have found some old issues of Horses magazine from the 70’s and 80’s while cleaning up, and I wonder: how much do you think they might be worth?
I have complete years of issues, and they are all in very good condition.
I’d be grateful for your thoughts! Thanks!![/QUOTE]Check eBay.

[QUOTE=Coreene;5873205]
I scored ten of them from 1967-69 on eBay yesterday! LOVED it when Judith Spreckels had it, LOVED it when the Quirks had it.

Can’t wait until they arrive - quite the trip down memory lane to come, and then I’ll pass them on.[/QUOTE]

I just adored Tish Quirk’s photography. Her pictures hold up against the best of today. Beautiful colors and atmosphere in every one.

2 Likes

I have some from the early 80’s, but most of them are long gone. I sure wish I had kept them

I have a few random issues from the 70’s that I so cherish! And I have kept all of my issues from the 80’, 90’s? Through whenever it became Show Circuit or whatever. How I loved John Quirk’s writing & so loved the old 70’s Judith Spreckels magazines. Such a walk down Memory Lane for me!

I recently found out that my mother had kept issues from the early 70s. The reason was because we advertised my wins in this magazine on a regular basis, just like most barns did back in those days. All the junior riders who qualified for the medal finals advertised wins for several months before the shows in the fall. Supposedly, you wanted the judges to know who you were and who you rode with.

Things haven’t changed all that much. When you think about it, it’s ridiculous that you had to have an advertising budget if you want to ride with the big boys. It’s still true today.

Honestly, even though I was a young/junior rider, Judith Spreckles always left a bad taste in my mouth. She came across to me as a spoiled rich woman who bragged about her wealth and what she could buy and gossiped horribly about trainers, owners and programs. I wasn’t unhappy when my parents chose to move on to reining and cutting shows along with the AQHA shows. These people seemed much more real to me back then.

I had a couple of years worth from the early 70’s, of which I have one left. The others suffered the same fate as many people’s comic books–they were thrown out by my mother. I remember that she thought a subscription was a terrible waste of money when, after all, you could buy a book for what a year’s subscription cost.

I was just refurbishing my den, and I have a ton of HORSES to sell. I couldn’t find any on eBay, I wonder if Etsy is a place to sell them. Any ideas?

I tried to send you a pm but your mailbox is full.

Hi Bumpkin:D long time no hear from.

I’ve kept 2 issues for sentimental reasons but am now ready to part with them. Wow, what a time sink!
Aug 1978 and Dec. 1976. PM me if interested.

I don’t remember this magazine and never heard of Judith Spreckles, one of my favorite magazines was Spur and I have a few of them, saved because of specific articles I wanted to keep in those issues. They are packed away in the basement, I need to go look for them.

1 Like