Unlimited access >

Older Age 20+ Horses Eventing

I love this thread!

I have a 17 year old OTTB that has been great for the last 14 years of owning him. I always am told how he’s aging and getting older and need to consider it. Of course age is something to consider, but he will tell me when he’s done, and if anything, he’s getting better and better with age!

This makes me so happy to read all the ‘oldies’ that continues easily into their twenties. Gives me hope to keep at our current goals with his current age.

I didn’t realize you have had him since he was 3! Amazing

Ya!! since he was fresh off the track! Definitely a lot of baggage there as many have seen our ups and downs. But the highs are soooo high because of our baggage and growth. That’s why when I post about our schooling’s and I’m over the moon, people who are new to knowing us think its probably us just gloating, but you have no idea what it took to get here. Only those who have been witnessing the journey.

He’s a cool cat, I’ve been told to sell him in the past, but I promised him forever, so I don’t want to break that.

2 Likes

Thanks! Lol my boots are still damp as well :lol: the one good thing about the rain, it did force me to finally clean my saddle and bridle! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve had my guy since he was about 5 or 6 (so long ago I can’t quite remember). I figure I’ll just keep on going till he tells me he’s had enough; he’s pretty good at letting me know how he feels about things :lol:

3 Likes

Really cool to hear about all these seniors who still have go in them. To @beowulf’s point about management, I’m curious what regimen people are following to keep their older eventers healthy and happy?

I just took over riding our 19yo OTTB since husband got his new baby horse. When we bought him a couple years ago, he had been ridden as a hunter/jumper but was underweight and needed muscle development. We’ve managed to get him to a good weight–our vet praises how good he looks every time she sees him–and he’s developed a better topline, though could still use some bulking up.

We’ve been working with a great trainer who emphasizes a lot of flatwork so he’s gotten much better about learning to carry himself though it’s still a work in progress! We free ride 3 times a week plus 1 flat lesson and 1 jump lesson. When weather and footing cooperate, I try to walk him around the fields on property and go up/down some of the small hills we have. He goes on night turnout.

He still has some stiffness, especially in the polls and one hock. We try to manage with hock injections twice a year and previcoxx everyday day. Last year we started him on pentosan every 4-5 weeks which we just upped to every 3 weeks per vet. We’ve also had him on tri-amino acid and Nutrena Empower Boost. We try to schedule chiro and massages a few times a year as budget allows.

I’m considering splurging on a Back on Track sheet and maybe hock boot before winter to try to help keep him loose.

Husband competed him up to BN last year and I’m hoping to do the same, though just planning to do one Starter this year to get our feet wet. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get him up to Novice as he’ll be 20/21. We want him to retire sound, though every now and then he still shows there’s a race horse in him, so we’ll see!

I am probably a broken record at this point, but since you tagged me, I can tell you what my management has been for both my geriatrics -

• 24/7 turnout with a herd
  • daily access to grass paddock (especially helpful for our toothless wonder 25y/o QH)
  • roundbale 24/7
  • alfalfa pellets + a low NSC, high fat grain
  • light ring work with an emphasis on conditioning outside of the ring
  • jumping 1-2x a week

I really think the biggest factor in both of my senior horses’ health was their lack of being in a stall. The constant movement kept them fit and going… The 25 y/o has never had joint injections, isn’t on any joint supplements, and is friskier than ever. My first OTTB has since passed, but he did not need injections until he was 17, and even then we only did the hocks as he had some old calcification/loss of lubrication there the vet thought was from racing + age.

As far as grain goes… that really depends on the needs of the horse, and your location… but since I’ve started incorporating alfalfa pellets into everyone’s feed they have all just bloomed better than ever.

A few other things, having the right farrier - and I mean really having the right farrier, helps their overall body condition and comfort. I stuck for too long with a farrier that wasn’t doing any of my horses any favors, and they paid the price for it.

7 Likes

I wish we could do 24/7 turnout, but unfortunately night is the best our barn can offer based on available space.

Our barn feeds Nutrena 12% grain. They don’t have free choice hay but the horses get plenty of flakes throughout the day and during turnout. They usually give more to hard keepers especially during winter. I think that’s what helped him a lot when we were working to put on weight.

We had a good farrier who unfortunately retired last year and left the state. His apprentice who took over has had mixed reviews. Fortunately our guy’s feet are pretty good for a TB and hasn’t needed any special work, though we are considering other farriers as options.

I had a 22 year old appendix who was an absolute jumping machine! Never refused and was always a handful on the ground. Got my best placings on that girl in recognized and schooling events. I’d go from DFL after dressage to in the ribbons after xc. Unfortunately, she sustained a career ending injury and wasn’t even sound enough to turn out for retirement and had to put her down. Question, I was perusing dreamhorse the other night and found that her foal (now 14) had been for sale and sounded like a carbon copy of his mama, He was sold to some unknown person, would it be bad for me to ask the former owner the name of the purchaser to see if they’d be interested in selling?

OMG WHY would they want you to sell him?? Hes lovely.

1 Like

I bought the Back on Track sheet for my 20 year old eventer a couple months ago and it does seem to help. He just yawns and yawns with it on and it improves his recovery after competition and longer rides in the trailer.

2 Likes

I would think the current owner would be thrilled if you were able to approach them…even if the horse is not for sale.

1 Like

I’m super happy to hear about all these ponies living into their thirties and forties. The pony I posted about is really my strongest connection to my late Dad, and my heart needs her to live for a lot longer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you using the sheet even when it’s warm outside? I’m curious if it’s OK to use on hotter days–or if it’s even as effective when it’s already warm.

I don’t know if this is considered to be out of line, but it can’t hurt to ask.

I have used it sparingly due to the heat. If it is in the low 70s or below I pop it on overnight. Mid-70s to low 80s I put it on for an hour before I ride. Any hotter than that and you really can’t use it because they just sweat like crazy. My horse gets tight in his lumbar area so I have also folded it up and laid it across that area while he is standing in the cross ties.

1 Like

I contacted the former owner and she wrote back that she was sorry I didn’t see the ad for her sooner. She said the new owner loves the mare and even though she’s a little old lady (owner) (her words) she plans to event her which is right up her alley. The former owner said she would contact her and see if she was willing to sell, which she doubts but doesn’t hurt to ask.

4 Likes

This thread makes me happy. I hope my guy lasts well into his 20s! Right now he is going on 17 and does Prelim.

My guy was doing prelim when he was 17, I got derailed when my work situation changed unfortunately. I figure when he’s ready to step down he’ll let me know!

Not Eventing but the plan is for Ciana our youngest to do Pony Club Championships in Show Jumping with Shiraz next year . The plan was this year but you know what happened. He will be 23 next year and he gets to visit Kentucky again.

6 Likes