Unlimited access >

Older Age 20+ Horses Eventing

He’s not an eventer but my 27 year old former 1.30m jumper is still packing kids and beginner adults around crossrails-2’9. He eats A LOT of food to hold his weight and gets some Equioxx when he gets creaky but he’s so happy being in work. I tried retiring him and he haaaaaated it.

5 Likes

Its totally fine to event older horses. I have a 23yr old connemara pony mare that still events training with me sometimes. I also have a 20yr old OTTB that does novice with me, and a 19yr old Hanoverian that loves to do training. As long as your horse is sound, happy, and willing, you can event with them for a while. My friend has a 25yr old American WB that happily powers through novice still!

1 Like

My kid did his first event on my old Pony Club games pony, who had found his way back to me. The kid was 8, the pony was 28, and the jumps were 12" or less.

4 Likes

Well this pulled up an old thread! LOL! and I still love it. My guy now turns 20 this year and will be out and about on the course.

4 Likes

And so the journey continues. [Sniffles and looks for tissues.] Congratulations!!

2 Likes

I think my friend Caroline McClung (Dowd) competed her great mare Lazy Dot @ Badminton when she was 18? and this was when Eventing was a true 3 day plus she had to wear weights. She finished 26th in a downpour!

2 Likes