Unlimited access >

Older fillies and mares - starting with Monomoy Girl - Swiss Skydiver Showdown

This Saturday, April 17, the Apple Blossom Handicap (G1) at Oaklawn Park. $1M purse for the 1 1/16 handicap for older fillies and mares.

Field of 6, Swiss Skydiver breaking out of gate 2 while Monomoy Girl is outside in gate 6.

First time these two ladies met was interesting BC Distaff in November. Swiss Skydiver stumbled out of the gate and was never really in serious contention.

The Apple Blossom in race 11 on the card with a scheduled 6:09pm local post time.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/247415/1m-purse-sparks-monomoy-girl-swiss-skydiver-showdown

2 Likes

Thanks! That will be a good race. Better than most of the Derby prep races have been.

1 Like

What a fantastic finish.
Well done to Letruska & her connections.
Nice run by Monomoy Girl, missed it by a slim nose.
Nothing from Swiss Skydiver.

2 Likes

That was a good race! I had a feeling about Letruska, and she really dug in to win at the end. Monomoy Girl almost got it, Swiss Skydiver wasnt a big factor once they turned for home.

Awesome race! Determination by Letruska to come back at the end. Monomoy Girl looked good, too, though I thought she may have let her attention wander just a bit when she hit the front. Once she realized the competition, she was digging back in. Swiss Skydiver wasn’t that impressive, but a great race. I look forward to seeing more from these all year.

Enjoyed the race! Monomoy Girl and Swiss Skydiver haven’t run in a while so maybe they both needed a race and they’ll improve off of this (although MG barely missed the win).

Not true. Swiss Skydiver took the Beholder Mile (G1) at Santa Anita on March 13 while Monomoy Girl’s last race was the Bayakoa Stakes (G3) at Oaklawn on February 28.

I thought an excellent race with a thrilling stretch duel. Swiss Skydiver didn’t show up. Letruska showed up in spades with a well deserved win.

1 Like

Interesting how Letruska runs with floppy reins. Great race.

they say Monomoy Girl has a tendency to lose attention in front. Letruska looks like a pretty, big, and solid mare, and hope we see more of her.

1 Like

She (MG) is known to tail off when on the front & only put out enough effort to stay in front.
I think this mentality of hers hurt a bit in this race.
Although I’m Not sure she would have been able to come back & get her nose in front even if the race had been a handful of strides longer.
Letruska was on fire :fire:

Oops! Thanks for correcting me. It’s not the first time I have been wrong and I’m sure it won’t be the last. :wink:

1 Like

I am a proud owner of Monomoy Girl, aka I bought one of the microshares through MyRacehorse :slight_smile:

It was certainly a thrilling stretch run, and you can’t ask for more than that.

I have been a fan of MG for years, and am tickled and amused to be an owner with probably 20,000 or so of my closest friends (ha). Their app is neat, they post regular updates and behind-the-scenes videos for the owners, so it’s really fun. Maybe I’ll be able to actually attend one of the races this year!

2 Likes

MRH is pretty neat!

Monomoy Girl isn’t the only one I have micro shares in. I think MRH does a good job of including the ‘owners’ in what is going on and helping, IMO, to build interest in racing.

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place as I was wanting Swiss Skydiver to win but also wanted Monomoy Girl to win. The stretch duel was great… watching Letruska rally back to win!