Unlimited access >

Older horse falling in paddock

Hi everyone,
I have an older mare (36.5!) who otherwise is doing great. She doesn’t have much teeth so it’s been a struggle to keep weight on her but otherwise has a great quality of life. Will run you over for a carrot, as bright as ever and enjoying life. Once last year and then twice in the past 2 months she’s fallen outside (the one time last year she was cast in her stall) and needed assistance to get back up. This has only happened in the stall or paddock, never in the field but the horses have limited access to the field in the winter months.
The first time this year she was near the one small wet area in her paddock and then again yesterday with snow on the ground. Both times she was down for a few hours before she was found but recovered well and was starving when she got up. Her stall is an in and out and we’ve been locking her in at night now. I’d hate to lock her in at any bit of wetness in her paddock since we live in New England and feel that will just contribute to more muscle loss for her. She’s also hate that. I’m trying to think of what else I can do for her. She’s currently barefoot… studded or winter shoes? Trying to figure out how to get cameras that will work that far away at the barn to monitor her more so if she does go down she’s not down as long. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

I don’t think I’d put shoes on a horse that old if they haven’t needed them before.

How large is the paddock? Is she in there alone? I’d consider the footing and amend, if possible, any muddy spots. And keep an eye out for ice - salt/sand as necessary.

Is there an opportunity to move her to a paddock closer to the barn?

1 Like

I think cameras would be a good solution. I agree that you probably don’t want to limit her to her stall too much, or make a super radical change that will upset her. If she falls and stays quiet until help arrives, I would put cameras up and monitor them frequently. If she is thrashing and sweaty/exhausted by the time help arrives-you will need to consider lifestyle changes(ie; in stall more often, new paddock, non slip mats or salt/sand/grit)

1 Like

What about using one of those foaling alert devices that send a signed when the mare lies down?

3 Likes

The Nightwatch alert halter might work.

1 Like

This probably isn’t what you want to hear but I have boarded geriatric retirees for 30 years. When they go down and can’t get back up on their own, it is time to let them go. I try to assist them back up so I can pamper them for a day or two and they can leave in a calm and happy way instead for in terror. Horses are prey animals and it is a terrifying experience for them to go down and not be able to get up. My first pony died that way at 38, and I swore I would never let that happen to another horse if I could prevent it. Better a week/month/however long too soon than a moment too late.

31 Likes

^^ This is the same advice that my vet gave me–when they can’t get up on their own, it’s time. Especially in winter, when they’ll lose body temp more quickly from lying on snow or frozen ground. Once this starts happening, there is going to be a time when you can’t get her up again. And that’s a terrible way to go-- on the cold ground for hours. I’m sensitive on this topic because last winter that’s exactly what happened to the neighbors’ skinny 30+ yr old horse. They called me for help after he’d already been down on the snowy ground for several hours. Horse was violently shaking over his entire body because his body temp was dropping. I tried to get him to stand up for over an hour before I finally convinced the owners to let me call my vet to euthanize. He was on another call so it took him about 90min to get there. I piled multiple horse blankets on him to try to reduce his shivering but nothing worked. That old fella just shouldn’t have had to go through that.

Losing weight and falling down (!) are real clear signs that her quality of life is starting to deteriorate, no matter how much enthusiasm she shows for treats. If we wait until they don’t show any enthusiasm for life, that means we’ve waited far too long. If you are sure that now is not the time, at least take this time to define very clearly in your mind what the specific criteria will be. Not subjective stuff like “still looks happy” and “Enjoying life”. Get quantitative – XX consecutive weeks weight loss. # of times she falls per week. # hours lying down.
Something that will keep you from evaluating her condition through an emotional lens. Your vet will be able to provide guidance on how to know it’s time.

13 Likes

Another way to look at it, you don’t want her last day to be her worst day.

Watching the oldies getting older is just plain hard. Ask yourself if you are keeping her going is for her or for you? I wish I could give you a big hug :cry:

13 Likes

I lost my old guy this summer. He was 36. He had been going down off and on for a while at that point. We had figured out a way to use a tow strap and a tractor to pick him up. We actually got really good at it. Once he was up - he was always hungry and raring to go so it made any “decisions” hard to make because he was so full of life and his eyes were always bright.

We have the “ring” system at the house and had one of the cameras pointed to his paddock just for that reason.

When it started happening we dug his hole in preparation. The hole was dug for a very long time before we actually needed it - but it made that specific day easier.

They say that when it’s time you will know. I never understood what that meant until it was time. He told me.

I wish you luck but I also hope that you can start looking into setting that date or at least preparing for it.

4 Likes

And here is something else you don’t want to hear - what if she goes down in the stall and can’t get up on her own? Much harder to get a horse up in a stall since you don’t have as much room to work in. I have known of people that have fashioned a sling on a tractor bucket and gotten them up that way. You can’t do this in a stall and I feel when they have reached this point it is time to let them go.

1 Like

I put down my beloved retired amateur hunter in early December because this was my nightmare. He was the better part of 1500 pounds and went down in October and again a few weeks later. We got him up but it wasn’t easy. I knew if he went down on a day like today (28 and snowing) I would not forgive myself. Didn’t make it any easier to make “that call” as he also was happy and seemingly thriving otherwise. Oldsters are so tough. Heck horses are tough.

2 Likes

We have a pulley system in one of our stalls. We never had to use it but we put it up that last year of our guy. I don’t think I’ll ever do that again for another horse. He was my first horse and we were together for 33 years. It’s funny how standing back and seeing other people going through it - the right thing to do is so clear. But when you are in that spot… The heart can be so much louder than the mind.

16 Likes

I had an older Arab gelding with EPM that went down twice. He was a smaller horse and 3 people were able to get him up but stacking hay bales so he could lean against them recumbently and we got him up. The second time I knew it was time to let him go because I knew it would get worse. No snow and ice here but it really stressed him out. I couldn’t put him down where I was keeping him so I had to load him up to take him to the vet clinic worrying he would go down in the trailer. I NEVER want to go through this again! But hindsight is 20/20 and it is hard emotionally to make that step.

1 Like

Do you know if she lies down on her own and is able to get up? If so, I agree that improving the footing may help. I agree with comments that a horse downed in a stall is a challenge. I like the one suggestion to set up some sort of pulley system in her stall. I hope you’re able to find a solution to help her!

What makes you think she is falling? Horses need to lie down for a different sleep to standing sleep.

It is time to let her go as others have said. Do not put her in the stable any more. It is easier if they are outside.

Pamper her. Feed her goodies. Let the vet sedate her and you can leave and he/she can do the rest on their own.

2 Likes

This.

I assumed when I responded above that the horse can normally get up from a prone position. If it can’t get up because the ground is too slippery, that’s a different story and is not necessarily a signal that euthanasia is necessary.

My mare got stuck lying down in her stall once - not cast, but it had been freezing rain and the area by the door was icy and she just happened to lie down in an awkward way such that the footing was too slippery. When I put a shovel of bedding over the slippery patch - she got up with no issue.

That said - at her age, you should have a plan for how you will know when it’s time.

Thank you! She never thrashes and is very patient, usually just needs to be flipped over and assisted a little getting up. The footing is stone dust but we can improve it to reduce any puddles for sure. Working on cameras. Thanks so much!

She’s alone with a horse next door (in and out set up). We can open up the back and put them together for more room but this has happened alone. She’s on a 10 acre grass pasture all summer and has never had an issue.

Good idea! I’ll look into it! Thanks.

I think every time it’s happened footing has been an issue, slightly muddy one time, snowy last night. The one time in her stall was when it was raining outside and it’s an in and out and they tend to stand out in the rain an come in soaking wet and drip on to the shavings, so the stall was slippery.