Unlimited access >

Older horse with sway back - Half Pad Options??

So my older thoroughbred is in his early to mid twenties and is pretty much retired but I still board him with my other horses and still lightly ride him a few times a month. I have always gotten away with using a beval pad on him, but with age his back started to sway a bit more and I started to not love the way it fit with my saddle anymore. Recently I have been using an ogilvy as I usually use those on my other horses, but I don’t like the way they fit either… I tried regular riser pads (don’t like them either :no: ) With the ogilvy pads, it’s a bit odd. It looks like my entire tack shifts forward an inch but crooked. Probably not explaining that properly…

But anyways, I am looking for an english half pad that might help. I will attach a picture of him in turn out so you can see his back. I’d appreciate any help :slight_smile:

here is picture:

When I ride…trail, pleasure, not show, my old man…I use a big, thick, western, felt, square pad on him. seems to “bridge” the hollow the best and keep him comfortable.

Thanks for the reply. I only ride english so need an english half pad option. :confused:

With my 22 year old that I still ride regularly, I use a Thinline shimmable half pad over a square pad. I also have to use a breast plate because he is REALLY starting to sway and the whole saddle slides back. But he’s happy and loves to work, so that’s what works for me. I also have an ECP shimmable half pad that is MUCH cheaper and is a good alternative. http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/ECP_Correction_Half_Pad_with_Memory_Foam_Inserts/descpage-ECPHALF.html

Wow interesting Pardox… I feel like I need something with more lift though in the back… you don’t use any riser with that and it still fits well with his sway?

You put the shims in the back. :slight_smile: It lifts it nicely. The ECP I actually use two sets of shims. So it rises nicely. I can take a pic of my guy if you want to see what I mean.

[QUOTE=enp082;8315671]
Thanks for the reply. I only ride english so need an english half pad option. :/[/QUOTE]

I only ride English too!! An English saddle fits fine over a western pad if you are looking for comfort for the horse…not for showing.

Ah Gotchya thanks Crosscreek! :slight_smile: By the way I see you breed painted sporthorses… any interesting young sale horses right now? :wink:

& Paradox THANK you i understand !! It comes with all the extra inserts you need? Might try it!

[QUOTE=enp082;8315799]
Ah Gotchya thanks Crosscreek! :slight_smile: By the way I see you breed painted sporthorses… any interesting young sale horses right now? :wink:

We have a couple of nice yearling fillies…no spots out of this group. A lovely dark seal brown pure TB with a star/strip and a 3/4 TB-Irish Sport Horse…bright red chestnut, flaxen mane, blaze and 4 high white stockings. First will probably finish 16.2-16.3 (she is out of a painted TB mare by Rambo) and the flashy chestnut will push 17 hands. We are keeping a HUGE colt with DW characteristics. We’re disappointed that we didn’t get the loud overo markings, but they are all VERY nice with sweet dispositions. One suckling filly is black with a big star and 3 stockings. All are by Challenged. They are on our FB farm page…but I don’t know if I can print “that” without getting punished!! We have added a new stallion to our crew…16.2, Blk/White APHA, double Homozygous tobiano and black!! Now we will be sure of “quality spots”!! He is the sweetest stallion we’ve known in a long time!! And he has already has sired a WC Pinto son.

For that much of a sway, I like the Cashel Swayback pad. It’s thickest in the center, and gradually thins towards the edges. The english shape is pretty bulky, but is easily trimmed with sharp scissors.

http://www.cashelcompany.com/Search.aspx?Search=swayback

Mattes makes a sheepskin pad (and a regular pad) which has a velcro opening down the middle of the pad. You can add foam inserts to ride up the back of the saddle where you need it. It also has pockets to add pads on the front on either side of the withers as well. Most horses with a swayed back have dropped muscle on either side of their withers too, so it’s nice that they have this option to make your saddle fit a bit better.

The pad itself comes with the foam inserts. They are memory foam. Depending on how much the horse’s back has dropped, you can built up with one or two inserts.

Fleeceworks makes one as well but I’m much more partial to the Mattes brand. I think it holds up longer.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/pt/mattes-correction-quilted-half-pad-with-pockets-for-shims-all-purpose--7332

Thanks guys! I’m definitely going to look into all of these options … I agree with Fleeceworks… I tried one of their pads last year and honestly hated it and gave it away… :frowning:

Shimmable would be a good option. The six point saddle pad from total saddle fit has always been a favorite of mine.

I have an OTTB with HUGE withers, who is still working on building up topline after his race letdown. I use THIS pad on him because it relieves the withers, while lifting off them and filling in some space on the back. It’s a thick gel, so it doesn’t give too much, but does great to absorb shock. I’m not sure if it’ll help a ton with a sway back, but for a horse with large withers and a lacking topline it’s done wonders for us. A picture of it in use under my saddle.

I’m going to chime in for the ECP pads. . We sell a ton to swaybacked horse owners. They remove the shims from the front and put them all in the back. Works really well!

Thanks Indy!! I’m going to try the ECP pads … ordering one tonight :smiley: I’ll keep you guys posted !!!

[QUOTE=IndyEquestrian;8317444]
I’m going to chime in for the ECP pads. . We sell a ton to swaybacked horse owners. They remove the shims from the front and put them all in the back. Works really well![/QUOTE]

Yes, this is exactly what I did! :slight_smile:

you can also look for “bridge” pads - they are pads designed for exactly this problem.

It’s more of a western term, but they will work fine on an english saddle

typically they work with a regular pad - here’s one for long shouldered horses

Hey guys! forgot to mention… I tried the ecp pad, only paid like $40 and it actually fits my guy way better than my ogilvy. and tack didn’t shift :smiley: I tried to remove the front shims to the back but they are shaped differently. Was yours the same way? but no big deal its literally just like foam. I’m sure i can find some and cut it myself to fit even better. But, overall, definitely better than before! :slight_smile: Thanks!!

You can probably find replacement back shims, and I’d be inclined to go that route over cutting your own to ensure that you end up with even padding and high-quality foam built for the purpose. Whatever you end up with at the fabric store might end up degrading faster than you want. We learned this the hard way trying to construct a DIY “Cloud Nine” pad (a memory foam pad- not sure if they’re still made.)

On a separate note, you can do your sway-backed senior a big favor by having him do belly lifts every time you see him. This stretch develops the topline as well as the under-line to help the older horses maintain good muscle condition and can help prevent back pain also.