Unlimited access >

Older stubben; not sure about age?

Apologies if this is the wrong category.

I have sent an email to Stubben but after some light research I found that many people are often told that the records don’t go back far enough to give them the info they need…

The number is: 23670
There is a “D” under the serial number on the billet guard

On the back of the cantle the numbers 407580 are stamped

It was made in Switzerland and has silver buttons.

The person I bought it from listed it as an AP. I can very faintly see “II” on the billet guard where the name of the saddle is rubbed off.

Below are photos

Any and all help appreciated!!

20240418_131025|375x500

I’m guessing 1980s-ish. I don’t recall Stubben stamping numbers on the back of the cantle on their saddles. I wonder if a previous owner did that? Is there anything stamped on the underside of the billet guard?

It’s a lovely “minimalist” saddle… look how close to the horse it puts you! No excess padding holding you away from the horse’s sides. Being close to the horse gives your seat security. Padding does the opposite. I have a Stubben Sigfreid II which is a lot like this, but it has slight points in the middle of the flap over the stirrup buckle (which I had never seen before). Dunno if this saddle of yours has that, but if it does, that might be what it is. I had never seen one before I found mine… paid $100 for it, just “because I needed it”.

6 Likes

It It is incredibly minimalist indeed. I’m in love with these older saddles. I like riding with my bareback pad and found the comfort and closeness just wasn’t happening with my dressage saddle…it really did feel like I had so much material propping me up and the saddle had so much influence on my position. The flap on this stubben is a little more forward than I wanted but honestly? It’s all just appearance. It feels very similar to being bareback aside from the tree of course. I think it likely is a siegfried II, but we’ll see what the stubben ppl have to say. I paid $200 for this one which feels like a steal. It also fit my TB perfectly…like it “clicked” in place. Crazy good luck for being a late night ebay purchase :sweat_smile: can’t wait to get this sucker reflocked. Thanks for your response!

4 Likes

Nope, nothing under the billet guard.

Siegfried II is the only model I can think of that ended with the II… it was the close contact version of the usually all-purpose Siegfried. Most of the ones I’ve seen have had the square cantle though, which it appears yours doesn’t. I’ve also never seen numbers stamped in the cantle of any Stubben (and I’ve ridden in many, produced across several decades)… I’m thinking someone did that themselves for ID.

1 Like

I have an Athos II. Don’t know what year it’s from.

Edit: Round cantle.

You might want to get the billets replaced as well as the reflocking. Stitching doesn’t last forever.

1 Like

Wotan (II)?

Pictures I’ve seen look identical to yours…

2 Likes

I had a Portos II, purchased new from Dover in 1985.
Fit every horse I rode, shareboarded or owned until 2010, when my ginormous - 17’3 - WB objected to the fit.
I replaced it with a semi-custom Maestoso with a pencil kneeroll & no thighblocks.
I still have that saddle & TG it fits my current horse: 16h TWH.

1 Like