Unlimited access >

Olympic Show Jumping Thread

We sent four to Tokyo. I wonder when USEF will name the three that will actually compete.
Does Ward’s horse Contagious have as good a record for clear rounds as the other horses?

I think anything McLain rides goes clear much of the time. :slight_smile: It must be so stressful waiting to find out which 3 will ride, they are all so good.

2 Likes

After looking around a bit I see that he had eight faults in the second round at Rotterdam., but he was double clear in Rome.

There’s a special topic for the Olympics. Here’s the link to the show jumping one: Show Jumping

I noticed that after I posted. The mods set it up just yesterday.

1 Like

As usual we’ll be all over the place with Olympic threads. :nerd_face:

1 Like

This article:
https://www.worldofshowjumping.com/Olympic-Games/Jumping-looks-set-to-be-a-testing-thriller.html?fbclid=IwAR15n5yr9bEVYcN9L__pkdwKSIqjS3ILQEhAuSWcRPQJgp9WrWWVhNfrTHg

Lists Mclain as the alternate, but I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

I think it is a wise decision to give the younger rider a chance.

1 Like

Whuuut?!?

1 Like

Maybe his horse is not adapting as well to the travel and the weather. There could be many reasons for the selection of other riders/horses.

Whomever is riding, I wish the best for them.

Re-reading the article, I noticed that our team is listed in alphabetical order. Since USEF has been quiet about the subject, might WOSJ have just assumed that Ward was the alternate since he was listed last when the team was announced?

3 Likes

That theory makes more sense than most other possibilities. Lol.

Let’s hope that’s the case!

No Karen Polle for Japan?

No. She retired her horse Wings. He is 18.

That’s kind of a terrible name for a horse. :wink:

6 Likes

I think I read that McLain acquired him before the pandemic, just poor timing with the name.

2 Likes

Contagious was Reed Kessler’s horse before he went to Mclain; here is a link to the horse’s story:

https://www.worldofshowjumping.com/WoSJ-Exclusive-interviews/From-youngster-to-international-Grand-Prix-horse-Contagious.html

I believe he was riding him as early as late 2018, so it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

That’s the article I was referring to.