One leg longer than other? Stirrups never even..

Hello… I hope I am in the right place to post this it seemed to be the best fit. Im sorry if I am misplaced!

I have an issue that has been really bugging me for over a year now. A Year ago or so I got slammed and trampled by a good sized yearling steer calf during a late branding. Ever since I have had an issue with one of my legs always feeling longer than the other when I ride.

In an English or western saddle, it is the same. My left leg is always longer than the right. Even when stirrups are set even. then if I try and lift the longer leg up a notch it becomes painfully short. Let down my short side and the leg is way too long.

I have tried 3 different western saddles and two English thinking maybe it was the saddle quality (they were not the nicest saddles… and old) However even riding in two pretty much new saddles I have experienced this. I have ridden around for people on 2 different horses all 3 gaits. Both trainers I stopped by to have look at me said I was leaning to the left (longer leg). However I learned my English from both of these trainers, and they said a year and a half ago I had pretty much perfect seat.(Before rouge cow attack). Without stirrups I can be perfectly balanced. But that leg when I have stirrups is tossing me off in a way so far no exercise on balance can help.

It is causing a lot of pain on my left leg as it seems to take a bit more of a hit now. I already have bad knees and would prefer to have it stop as not to make them worse.

Now I have been exploring some ideas on what could have caused this. I have read some people will develop one leg longer than the other, but it seems a bit late in life for that. But I have also read having a thrown out hip can cause this too.

I am just curious if anyone else has had this drastic of a problem? Or had any other ideas?

Thank you all!

Speaking for myself …
No, it wasn’t anything I blamed it on, disbelieving evidence to the contrary for the greater part of my life ------- one leg is shorter than the other!

Get checked out by a chiropractor

I feel your pain! I made the stupid mistake of trying to run a fat, snotty little bully of a pony out of a straight stall and got my pelvis squashed for my trouble. No fractures that I know of, but now the right branch of my ischium is about a quarter in higher than the left. I’m constantly fiddling with my stirrups because it makes my left leg want to sit father back than my right. I’ve had a minimal amount of success with a heel lift in my left boot, but leathers with half-holes were the best solution. It’s easier to fine-tune the length that way.
I’m trying to figure out how to measure exactly where I need holes so I can sweet talk a leather working family friend into helping me make custom ones (to avoid weakening them with scads of random holes.)

I second the chiropractor recommendation, as well as getting an xray if you’re curious. Pelvises (pelvis? Lol), especially the female variety, are prone to separation of the pubic symphisis in squashing-type situations, which could definitely cause disparate leg lengths. There’s no sure-fire cure, but chiro adjustment can help sometimes. Best of luck! :slight_smile:

The most important thing is that your saddle must be even on the horse. It’s ok to use a different hole on one side AS LONG as it’s level on your horse. EX: I wrecked an ankle years ago and stretched out all the tendons/ligaments in one ankle so when I stand in my stirrups - my right ankle collapses more than Left. FEELS like one leg longer but it isn’t. It’s a joint stretched out kinda thing. I have a deep ankle stretch of about one hole on my R.stirrup. I often rode one hole longer on R. With time; the ankle has strengthened and it’s not an issue years later.
As an RN I can not recommend a chiro…at all. A horse oriented PT would be your best bet. They can test you and make recommendations. There’s no “adjustments” that can help here. What the previous poster said is not likely to be the cause. The vast majority of us have side to side irregularities we were born with. We are rarely perfectly even; or perfect for that matter. There can be many causes of the sensation you are feeling. It’s common. One cause is that your horse has less muscle on one side too. I’d also experiement with some high density foam padding to see if that helps both you and the horse stay level. Make SURE your saddle underside is even also. Our english saddles often become squished down on the RIGHT SIDE because we always mount from the left. I’d advocate always using a mounting block or mounting from the off side (which I can NOT do because I’m a klutz!!) . And BESURE to rotate your leathers. The left one stretches more over time because of mounting on left also.
So here’s a few of my thoughts! Good luck! Been there! It’s manageable.

I’ll second the chiro suggestion. I’ve had an ongoing sacroiliac problem that can end up with one leg shorter. Chiro, or yoga helps me keep it mobile and unlocked. Good luck!

I’ve had this issue in the past but with my right leg being longer. Turns out my pelvis was actually tipped foreword and to the right.