Unlimited access >

Online courses

With the COVID restrictions and four feet of snow on the ground, I am looking for a good online training program that I could launch into with my limited access to arena time for now (might board somewhere in March). Something that could even carry into the riding season. I have a green broke connie/tb that is a sponge right for anything. So, would love something with groundwork, in-hand stuff, communication/relationship building and anything basic with riding (correct biomechanics, etc.). Some of the courses I’ve thought of are Karen Rohlff’s courses, Patrick King, Tristan Tucker, Warwick Schiller. etc. My horse’s main job will hopefully be eventing, but this time around, I want to build a great trusting relationship and be more focused on relaxation. Does anyone have recommendations? Obviously the price difference with some of these is substantial.

Warwick Schiller hands down! The app is inexpensive and he offers approachable exercises that anyone can do in any facility/with simple equipment.

1 Like

Oh Mustang Maddy is a rabbit hole you want to go down. It will tick so many of the boxes you checked.

Looks like you can’t get it right now BUT she has so much to offer for free too on Youtube.

Warwick Schiller!

I have both Tristan Tucker and Warwick Schiller. I strongly prefer WS. TT relies on the premise that a very specific pattern will create the same response in every horse. It kind of messed up my mare and created a patterned response without relaxation. She was featured in one of his webinars and he honestly had no suggestions. In contrast, WS uses very different types of horses and explains why he changes an approach depending on his perception of how the horse may respond and how to pivot when necessary. Also WS has 2/3x the content. If I had a really confident and outgoing horse without baggage I think TT is great, but WS is my choice for more complex horses or ones with baggage.

1 Like

Several options that come to mind:

Noelle Floyd’s Equestrian Masterclass subscription is very good. Tik Maynard (who is wonderful) has a groundwork course and a course on working with young/green horses. Then there’s a lot for ridden work as that progresses, and some great content on rider mindset and competition skills. You will also get a lot out of the jumping courses, as an eventer.

You could also look at DressageTraining.tv, which is the site for Mary Wanless/Ride With Your Mind – I have not subscribed but I have taken some lessons from Ali Wakelin, who is one of the instructors (she is fantastic). I don’t think it’s quite so heavily dressage-focused, but they have groundwork courses and a ton on rider biomechanics. Mary Wanless has a series of podcasts which are free and well worth listening to.

Warwick Schiller is an option and has a lot of value to his approach (I was a disciple for a long time) … for a young/green horse I think it’s really beneficial, just didn’t work well for my horse’s particular issues. Is there something in particular that’s drawing you to the relaxation aspect? (That part was useful for us.)

Then there’s good old-fashioned Parelli. I’ve done a lot of it with my horse and it has been very good. The Parellis themselves get a bad rap for a few things, but the actual exercises and method are really effective, very straightforward, and can be a ton of fun. Their subscription platform has extensive content, and the ridden stuff seems a bit weird/basic at first but really helps you become a more subtle rider and your horse to be more responsive to aids. It all feels a bit hokey, but they make it super simple and clear so you can be more effective with it.