Unlimited access >

Open Front & Back boots appropriate for A-Rated Shows

[QUOTE=Show boots;7499108]
Here’s my thing she wanted something transitional between lessons and shows and many different horses. I’ve ridden with a few trainers and have observed a lot more. I have never seen a horse in leather open front boots to lesson or school in, especially if that rider is on a lesson horse, or barn owned lease horse. Honestly if I saw a rider taking a lesson with leather boots on in most situations, I would feel as though they are trying too hard, or a trainer, or tack store owner took advantage of them to open their wallets.

Here’s my thing a lot of juniors that dream of the equitation need to realize. So long as you are turned out well, and your horse looks well groomed, healthy, judges don’t care what you are wearing. Or what your tack is. Or what boots your horse has on. There are no extra points for spending 500$ on a pair of open fronts or 700$ bridle or 5500$ saddle. I promise you if there were. No judge is so dazzled by expensive tack that they are going to miss that giant chip or missed lead change or that stop.[/QUOTE]

I’m not disagreeing with you. I thought the OP was buying a pair of show boots (for a horse that needed boots). I’ve ridden with a couple different trainers and most of the lesson horses, even the lease horses, come with their own schooling boots and such. I’ve never seen anyone school in super nice leather boots either, but most barns I’ve been to have a sort of pile of boots/polos/etc that are shared with the lesson and lease horses. So I thought the OP was looking to purchase a pair of nicer boots to use in the show ring (due to the fact that her horse needs them for physical reasons (couldn’t think of the word I meant to use - so I hope that makes sense). I don’t think boots are going to make one’s round, no piece of tack is going to do that. I think we are in complete agreement there.

Never seen anyone school with leather open fronts? Really? “Trying too hard” if they do?

That’s kind of whacked.

Both posts reek of the exact kind of elitism she’s claiming other people participate in.

ETA: I school in leather boots sometimes because they’re easy to clean, just pop the liners out and dunk them in the shampoo bucket before bathing the horse. I am not a fancy eq kid however, and I like it that way.

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7499158]
Never seen anyone school with leather open fronts? Really? “Trying too hard” if they do?

That’s kind of whacked.[/QUOTE]

I think you got the wrong takeaway from Show boots’ post. “Don’t buy fancy boots just to fit in with the other eq kids because judges really don’t care what you have on your horse’s legs” is a good message, particularly for this poster.

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7499158]

That’s kind of whacked.[/QUOTE]

Have I ever seen someone taking a lesson at home, at the barn with open front leather boots. No I have not. Have I seen people schooling at shows in them yes. Would it be normal at an equitation barn no. Would it be normal for an equitation barn to expect someone that does not own the horse or does not lease the horse and has no future plans to own a horse to buy a set of leather boots. NO. It is absurd. There is no need to keep up with the jones. The op, her parents, and her trainer need to sit down and go through what this rider actually needs for lessons and for shows. I’ve never met a single equitation trainer who doesn’t have a set of leather open fronts or boots or polo wraps to use for the horses they own.

I am being honest here. Would it be out of place. Yes. Now have I seen people with jumpers do it yeah. I have. Go forth and do what makes you happy. You are also an adult and have likely been around, and know the difference between what you need, what you don’t.

This is a junior rider, with very little horse world experience. While it’s great if you need it but if you want it, junior riders all need to sit back and really think about what is necessary, especially if the riding career is going to end soonish. Leather tack is just like selling a car, once the tags off the value declines, once it’s used its value declines. And unless you are pricing it well, it doesn’t move, and if you consign it it well the house gets a cut, Is spending what could honestly be a semester or 2 worth of books at college for some open front leather boots good decision?

I absolutely love it that we have thread after thread about how the circuit is too image obsessed and the privileged kids with the nicer stuff aren’t any better than the kids with less fancy but clean and workmanlike tack and then as soon as a poster who is in the trenches confirms this she gets jumped all over. The irony is just too much. :smiley: So now we’re just jumping on people because they’re privileged, even if they’re saying what we want to hear? This board is too much. :lol:

FWIW if I was the OP I’d be spending the money on lessons. Check her post history.

Guess I missed something somewhere. I’m not sure how I could be expected to know the OP’s age, financial status or what she is riding from the two posts in this thread.

Have I seen lots of people school at HOME in open front leather boots? Yes. Do I think they are “trying too hard”? No.

The OP asked what kind of open front boots she could get in a specific price range. Wow. Chill. Out.

Leather for sure… your choice if you want the sheepskin, but if you are giong to use them for more than just shows I’d suggest no sheepskin as it is hard to keep clean, Honestly IMHO, I would buy a pair of leather ones for showing and buy some eskadrons for schooling…

I got my leather boots (front and back)_ for $75 … I think at a consignment store…

I’m another equifit person but I bought mine off of ebay :smiley: they were new but didn’t have tags or anything. Sometimes when I’m in the jumpers i use equifit t-sport wraps and they look awesome. The only drawback the the leather wears quickly. The Equifits I believe will last a super long time, my horse’s legs always seem to breathe easy and they’re pretty easy to clean as opposed to other boots. (You could try finding a sale too)

The ThinLine boots are nice and a good price. :slight_smile: The EquiFit T-Boot EXP2s are a bit pricey but IMO, worth it. I’d love to own a pair. :love-struck: Some other good brands that come to mind are Veredus, Pessoa, and Eskadron!

I don’t understand why everyone raves about the equifit boots. I bought a pair, and in under 10 rides the stitching was fraying and the boots were unusually marked up. I thought the liners trapped heat, and sand often made it’s way between the boot and my horses leg, rubbing her raw. They didn’t stay put, and the quality was way to low for what they cost. Thank goodness I bought from smartpak, and they let me exchange.

get what you can for your budget which provides the best protection for your horse’s legs - protective boots are for that reason - don’t worry if they look “weird” or aren’t trending, I would suggest budgeting more for better quality boots for daily use than just for showing.

I have to agree with pacific_jumper- I have gone through a few sets of the Equifit, and I ended up giving up on them. I have the luxe ones, the leather ones, and the liners are frayed around the edges. So, they just sit in my cubby and look pretty now. I like plain leather boots or something sturdier like Veredus or Eskadron- but I do jumpers, not eq.

Glad to hear I’m not alone foursocks!!

[QUOTE=nycequestrian;7499128]
I’m not disagreeing with you. I thought the OP was buying a pair of show boots (for a horse that needed boots). I’ve ridden with a couple different trainers and most of the lesson horses, even the lease horses, come with their own schooling boots and such. I’ve never seen anyone school in super nice leather boots either, but most barns I’ve been to have a sort of pile of boots/polos/etc that are shared with the lesson and lease horses. So I thought the OP was looking to purchase a pair of nicer boots to use in the show ring (due to the fact that her horse needs them for physical reasons (couldn’t think of the word I meant to use - so I hope that makes sense). I don’t think boots are going to make one’s round, no piece of tack is going to do that. I think we are in complete agreement there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I’m buying boots for a horse which needs boots since I am leasing now. My trainer was able to come up with an amazing lease price.

The horse has turn-out boots and bell boots, which are often used by the people who ride them in lessons unless you are a leaser where they rather you have your own gear (boots etc.) if you’re going to be on the horse long-term (as in months).

I don’t think boots are going to make a difference in how I score at shows, but I do like nice things and I’ve heard great things about the comfort and stability which some boots have to offer specifically the EquiFit’s but they are out of my price range so I’m not really looking into them.

I am on a budget, so that’s why I was looking at the Tekna ($80 for front AND backs) and the Eskadrons which come as a value pack and are about $150, but both aren’t necessarily show quality for the A-Circuit. But anything will go right now because of my budget.

Frankly, since I began lease and I’m buying a lot of gear for this one horse, boots will have to wait since I’m paying for lessons, shoes and 1/2 of the lease which my parents are splitting for me.

Thank you all for your commentary and suggestions.
Will take it into consideration when it is actually time for me to get a pair.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7506635]
Yes, I’m buying boots for a horse which needs boots since I am leasing now. My trainer was able to come up with an amazing lease price.

The horse has turn-out boots and bell boots, which are often used by the people who ride them in lessons unless you are a leaser where they rather you have your own gear (boots etc.) if you’re going to be on the horse long-term (as in months).

I don’t think boots are going to make a difference in how I score at shows, but I do like nice things and I’ve heard great things about the comfort and stability which some boots have to offer specifically the EquiFit’s but they are out of my price range so I’m not really looking into them.

I am on a budget, so that’s why I was looking at the Tekna ($80 for front AND backs) and the Eskadrons which come as a value pack and are about $150, but both aren’t necessarily show quality.[/QUOTE]

Myself, I school in polos or the $30 dover fleecy boots and only show in leather because it’s just a lot easier to clean off the dover boots by dunking them in a soapy bucket of water and blasting them with the hose. Plus, cheap, since boots take a lot of beating. That would be my suggestion unless for some reason you need to use fancy boots for lessons. If the boots I just got would fit your horse I’d sell them to you, but I really like them.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;7506639]
Myself, I school in polos or the $30 dover fleecy boots and only show in leather because it’s just a lot easier to clean off the dover boots by dunking them in a soapy bucket of water and blasting them with the hose. Plus, cheap, since boots take a lot of beating. That would be my suggestion unless for some reason you need to use fancy boots for lessons. If the boots I just got would fit your horse I’d sell them to you, but I really like them.[/QUOTE]

Right, well when I’m looking at boots I think I’ll go with the Eskadrons. For shows, I was looking at the Dover Leather Open-Front & Back boots or maybe even just the Tekna’s since they come in brown and they’re cheap enough.

For your needs, I would think the Equifits would be a nice transitional boot. They’re appropriate for jumpers and equitation, are easy enough to keep clean and are appropriate for lessons as well. I keep mine for showing only and use Eskadrons for schooling, but that’s just because I want them to last forever!

I know you’ve mentioned they’re out of your price range, but it’s possible you could find them on eBay or on sale if you keep your eyes open. I managed to find mine when they were on sale and walked out with front and back boots under $250. That was after looking for them very cheaply for a year, though, so you may not have that time to waste :smiley:

I do highly recommend staying away from leather boots; incidentally, a horse I leased came with them and they were impossible. They looked great, but awful to maintain and after a season dealing with them I gave up altogether.

If you cannot find something in your budget, the polos are super easy and cheap…

http://dreamhorsestudios.com/

[QUOTE=Show boots;7499208]
Is spending what could honestly be a semester or 2 worth of books at college for some open front leather boots good decision?[/QUOTE]

Where do you find a semester’s worth of college books that cheap? I certainly never got off that lucky.