Unlimited access >

Open Front & Back boots appropriate for A-Rated Shows

This summer I will be showing on the A Circuit and am looking for a pair of front and back boots that are appropriate.

Any reviews on your likes and dislikes of certain front/back boots would be great.

I’m also looking for a pair that would be transitional: for lessons/hacks and shows. Also a pair that would fit a range of average sized horses; mainly warmbloods.

Jumpers? Eq? Budget?

Although not appropriate for eq (if that’s what you were thinking of) I love love love my veredus boots!!! They have a very nice shape that fits the horses leg well. I have the medium boots, which fit a wide range horse horses. They are super easy to care for, and if I’m lazy I just throw them in the washing machine. They are quite durable. I usually just use mine for clinics and shows, but they will stand up to daily use. My horse gets rubs very easily, but the veredus boots fit so well, it hasn’t been an issue.

Everyone is really into the Equifit T-boots for both eq and jumpers but I’m actually loving the new Eskadron Air boots.

I am seeing less and less leather boots in the eq and more Equifits, Eskadrons, etc. which generally make much better transitional boots since they’re more washable. That said, I find it hard to maintain one set of boots for lessons, hacking and showing. I would recommend getting something nice for showing and a set of Horze or Roma boots for everyday. I know they’re not trendy but I like to keep my nice boots nice for showing.

Eq and $100-$250

[QUOTE=french fry;7498511]
Everyone is really into the Equifit T-boots for both eq and jumpers but I’m actually loving the new Eskadron Air boots.

I am seeing less and less leather boots in the eq and more Equifits, Eskadrons, etc. which generally make much better transitional boots since they’re more washable. That said, I find it hard to maintain one set of boots for lessons, hacking and showing. I would recommend getting something nice for showing and a set of Horze or Roma boots for everyday. I know they’re not trendy but I like to keep my nice boots nice for showing.[/QUOTE]

I really like the EquiFit’s they have a nice look to them and I’ve heard they do a great job of ventilating and protecting the horse. My only problem with them is that they are quite pricey for the pair: front and back. I was thinking of just getting the Open-Front’s and a pair of Eskadron back boots but I feel like it might look weird.

Equifits are really popular, but can be pricey, especially the newer models. The original front boot model is around 130 at SmartPak, I think, which isn’t bad, and would probably be appropriate for you.

I use Eskadrons for schooling, they’re durable, you can just throw them in the washing machine, and you can get a set of front and backs for like $130. I do the hunters, so don’t boot for showing obviously.

Are you required to show in boots? You don’t have to have them if you don’t really need them. I would also check around your barn and see what the other riders use and ask your trainer if they have a preference. Show barns tend to have preferences for what “look” they want their horses to have at shows, and there may be brands/types of boots that they would rather not have you use. You don’t want to go out and buy a nice set of boots and then have your trainer not like them.

I like all of my tack to match, colour-wise, so I prefer to show in leather boots (no sheepskin- yuck yuck yuck never)

http://www.prestigeitaly.com/scheda.asp?menu=accessories&IDproduct=68&LAN=ENG

However, for sake of cleaning, I just have regular old cheapie boots
http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?strilhID=web&strmdNumber=BOE0031&stricSKU=BOE0031

I don’t know how much the Prestiges retail for, but the leather/rubber is very easy to clean, probably easier than my schooling boots

Black polo wraps are always appropriate for the equitation. The black wraps look good on black, bay, chestnut, gray horses, and match all tack. They also fit a much larger variety of horses.

Otherwise the beval open front rubber lined. The issue with boots and warmbloods is what would fit one doesn’t always fit another.

Whatever you decide, SmartPak is having a 20% off sale which would help offset some cost.

I have EquiFits. I use them as every day boots. Once in a while they go in the show ring but usually the horse is bare legged as we do one eq class and then a hunter division afterwards.

If you get them, remember they need to be really snug. I thought my hinds were okay but footing is getting under the boot and rubbing my horse. If I get them again I’ll probably go down a size.

Another thing that might useful for you, if you have the time, would be to head to a tack store and look to see what is on sale. Since you have several examples of the type of boot that is appropriate, look to see if you can find anything that looks similar. A judge won’t really be able to tell if you don’t have that exact brand when your horse is cantering by. As long as the boot is good quality, it doesn’t need to cost upwards of $400.

[QUOTE=nycequestrian;7498702]
Another thing that might useful for you, if you have the time, would be to head to a tack store and look to see what is on sale. Since you have several examples of the type of boot that is appropriate, look to see if you can find anything that looks similar. A judge won’t really be able to tell if you don’t have that exact brand when your horse is cantering by. As long as the boot is good quality, it doesn’t need to cost upwards of $400.[/QUOTE]

A judge does not care what you have on your horses legs at all. So long as it’s neutral. They don’t even care if they have boots on. It’s not like they give you an extra five points for walking in the show ring with leather open front boots on. What they will notice is if those boots are too big or too small, which if you are riding a variety of animals is bound to happen.

Source: ex bigeq kid with multiple equitation horses. I’ve walked into the ring with polo wraps, eskadrons, leather open front and back, and no boots.

I just bought a nice set of english leather open fronts and hinds from Smith Worthington for I think $108 for the set? Including both neoprene and real sheepskin liners.

Mine were on extra sale but they’re still a pretty good deal. I bought the cob size but the horse size would fit pretty well on most normal horses over 16h, I’d think. My guy is 15h on a tall day so they definitely didn’t fit him.

http://www.smithworthington.com/index.php?p=product&id=450

personally though I like polo wraps, I just sprung for these because they were affordable and I can use them with neoprene liners as galloping boots.

I show the equitation and I have a pair of leather Beval boots that are fluffy on the inside. I got them on consignment somewhere, but if that gives you any idea…

I have these and I love them (and the price!):
http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?strilhID=web&strmdNumber=BOE2729&stricSKU=BOE2729

On a horse: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/546484_10152055876725524_1821577228_n.jpg

Wow, soloudinhere, those look like an awesome deal!!! Have you received them yet? Any comments on quality?

[QUOTE=pacific_jumper;7498841]
Wow, soloudinhere, those look like an awesome deal!!! Have you received them yet? Any comments on quality?[/QUOTE]

I bought them in person at the store so yes. I really like them. They’re nice english leather, the liners are thick and fluffy but don’t have so much velcro that they bind. They’re also a nice chocolate color instead of yellow or orange, which is why I grabbed them. I really like them.

You’re making them very hard to resist right now :smiley:

[QUOTE=Show boots;7498726]
A judge does not care what you have on your horses legs at all. So long as it’s neutral. They don’t even care if they have boots on. It’s not like they give you an extra five points for walking in the show ring with leather open front boots on. What they will notice is if those boots are too big or too small, which if you are riding a variety of animals is bound to happen.

Source: ex bigeq kid with multiple equitation horses. I’ve walked into the ring with polo wraps, eskadrons, leather open front and back, and no boots.[/QUOTE]

I agree that a judge doesn’t care what your horse has on its legs, thats not quite what I meant. I wasn’t sure if the OPs horse needed boots for another reason besides style. If that was the case, than I simply was suggesting investing in a pair of boots that will hold up to daily use.

[QUOTE=nycequestrian;7499067]
I agree that a judge doesn’t care what your horse has on its legs, thats not quite what I meant. I wasn’t sure if the OPs horse needed boots for another reason besides style. If that was the case, than I simply was suggesting investing in a pair of boots that will hold up to daily use.[/QUOTE]

Here’s my thing she wanted something transitional between lessons and shows and many different horses. I’ve ridden with a few trainers and have observed a lot more. I have never seen a horse in leather open front boots to lesson or school in, especially if that rider is on a lesson horse, or barn owned lease horse. Honestly if I saw a rider taking a lesson with leather boots on in most situations, I would feel as though they are trying too hard, or a trainer, or tack store owner took advantage of them to open their wallets.

Here’s my thing a lot of juniors that dream of the equitation need to realize. So long as you are turned out well, and your horse looks well groomed, healthy, judges don’t care what you are wearing. Or what your tack is. Or what boots your horse has on. There are no extra points for spending 500$ on a pair of open fronts or 700$ bridle or 5500$ saddle. I promise you if there were. No judge is so dazzled by expensive tack that they are going to miss that giant chip or missed lead change or that stop.