Unlimited access >

Open Horse Show at the PA Farm Show Complex, Harrisburg

A open horse show is being held as part of the Keystone International Livestock Exposition on Sept. 28 & 29. It might be of interest to those who want to get more experience showing at big facilities in a low-pressure situation. The show is at the same facility as the Pennsylvania National Horse Show and it is open to anyone.

It is the 2nd year, and they’ve expanded the hunter classes. Classes are $10, stalls $35.

http://www.keystoneinternational.state.pa.us/page/openhorseshow.aspx

Thanks so much for posting this! If I wasn’t going in for a big surgery the Thursday before, I would so be there with a horse or two. I’ll be looking for this show next year, when I will be able to go! :yes:

we did it last year and the facility was very nice . the classes were very large but at least they split them . The show was a nice way for 4 h ers to get practice for states bc it is held at the HB COMPLEX . The only down side was they last year used same judges for am as in pm and your only hope was to own a western quarter horse ( I like QH’s very versitile ) bc they picked the same horses just changed tack from western to english. The costume class was so cute. Anyway im sure whoever goes will enjoy the show. Fyi even though its not rated make sure you braid as everyone had so we did to when we were there .

This year there are 2 rings running all the time with a separate hunter judge in the hunter ring (Leslie Post on Sat. and Jerre Frankhouser on Sun.) There’s even paybacks in every class through 6th place.

Yeah the judging was my only concern, looks like a really nice show to get my greenie out to, though.

Attended this show last year on Sunday and highly recommend for anyone in the area to go this year. As other’s posted, it was extremly large and ran late/long as they were only using the new arena. However it was a great experience for me & my TB as it was the 1st time we showed indoors and it is so close to home. We worked out of the trailer that day and didn’t have any issues about getting to classes, schooling, or hearing things over the loud speaker. I did not braid even though everyone else was. It wasn’t a deal breaker for me as my horses mane was groomed properly.

People running the show were very nice, answered plenty of questions, and so on. The entry fee is very reasonable and it was great to get some $ back for one of my placings. The check is mailed once the entire KILE show is completed and things are approved in their offices. I think the prize list/break down of classes this year is a great improvement and I’m bummed out that I can’t attend! Hoping my schedule for next year will allow it.

[QUOTE=Wishuponastar;7143838]
This year there are 2 rings running all the time with a separate hunter judge in the hunter ring (Leslie Post on Sat. and Jerre Frankhouser on Sun.) There’s even paybacks in every class through 6th place.[/QUOTE]

Can’t ask for better than that!

Can someone who was there last year please comment: Are the jumps fairly plain or do they have them pretty well decorated like they would have at a rated show? TIA

Last year they were pretty plain, but on the Facebook page (KILE Open Horse Show) it says they’ll have a brand new set of jumps this year, and they look more interesting and varied.

NUmbers for this show

We are showing much later in the class list on Saturday with a young mare who doesn’t wait well. I have called multiple times to the horse show office for numbers but… they are not answering or returning phone messages! Anyone going up for early classes or the whole day who would be willing to text me an idea of numbers for Saturday after they get started? Or maybe have an in with someone so could give me an idea of numbers? TIA!

The show was a lot of fun def recommend for people in 4 h as its a good warm up for states. classes were large but they didsplit them . glad theyhave two judges and rings as last year they did not and seemed they needed it. have a great time good luck to all that are showing

With the jumping classes with two classes for the same class does it matter which one you sign up for?

I have adult friends who showed hunters/eq at KILE last year, stabled overnight, etc. They had a blast. I couldn’t go due to work commitments. They are going back this year, and this time, I’m going too…entries are in, hotel rooms booked. Last time I showed at the Farm Show Complex was 35 years ago, (hey, when I was in 4H!) so this will be hoot. They didn’t say anything about being out pinned by QH/Western/tack changers. Also, the judges this year are regular show hunter folks.