Unlimited access >

Open Shows and Ranch Classes

I used to show open shows as a kid; they were kind of like a lite version AQHA shows. Most people were showing stock horses. I see the show bills now include the ranch division and I’ve looked up some YouTube videos for examples.

My just turned 6 fjord and I are starting rated working equitation shows this year and train western dressage now. The open shows are a 10 min haul from my barn and I was thinking it might be good for him as a young horse for the show environment exposure. I also like I can play it the weather and can do my entries the day before the show.

I’m keeping him in L1 (walk trot) for WE this year, his canter is coming along but isn’t there yet for the Ease of Handling and would do the open walk trot with him as well.

Attire wise, WE is pretty low key; I will be showing in jeans/boots/black Ariat sunshirt and my helmet. Is that sufficient for ranch/trail at an open show? I’m also considering taking him in the walk trot cross-rails since we do have a jump element in WE, and have all the English gear/show clothes for that.

Not that I care about how we pin in the classes, but out of sheer curiosity, how would a being a fjord play into the ranch judging?

Here is the show bill and the classes I’d consider entering (showmanship was prob my favorite as a kid). Any specifics on what a Discipline Rail class is?

Do you have a picture of the sunshirt? Most Ranch organizations require a button-up (or faux button-up) with long sleeves and a collar. So the shirt may or may not be appropriate. The rest of your attire sounds fine; just make sure your tack is true working western tack (all leather, no to minimal silver, etc.).

The Discipline Rail sounds like it might be a command or “fault and out” type class. I’m not 100% sure on that, though.

2 Likes

I took my Friesian cross to some local open shows and did w/t ranch classes and I think some sort of equitation class in western tack. At any rate, I wore jeans, paddock boots, a button down shirt (purple with an embroidered horse head in the back) and my helmet.

My horse pinned just fine. The judge did remark I had a “very nice English horse” in the line up after the first ranch class. This was a small, rural show and several of the horses in my classes were behaving poorly and / or poorly turned out (scrawny looking). I presume if my classes had been full of pleasantly obedient, nicely turned out “purpose bred” horses that my big moving horse might not have pinned at all. I feel like the pleasantly obedient bit was more important than looks / way of moving.

YMMV

3 Likes

All good on this end; WE and western dressage aren’t suppose to be flashy either.

This is the sunshirt, it’s a quarter zip

The rules just state a long sleeve shirt, not a button up so that should be ok. Should…LOL.

1 Like

If it’s a small show, you’re probably fine, based on the wording there. If you end up liking the Ranch horse thing and want to do more of it in the future, though, just be aware that you’ll need an actual button-up at some point.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll probably end up picking one up!

1 Like

I personally would wear a simple button up shirt for the western classes, but I also don’t think they’ll disqualify you for the sun shirt haha. As far as showing an “off” breed in Ranch classes…I took my Arab (who I showed huntseat the rest of the time) into a Ranch Pleasure class once and ended up 4th in a large group of stock breeds. If you can get a good collected jog and then really extend it out when asked that’ll work well in your favor…pretty sure that’s what helped us a lot.

Discipline Rail is kind of like a slightly more elevated Simon Says (minus getting eliminated immediately if you mess up lol).

4 Likes

Probably is the key word, we attended a non-rated open show held by a local club… several of our class had three world champions of the breed in it

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about being competitive…I said “fine” as in, the OP is unlikely to be disqualified from the class. That’s not the same thing as winning. Having said that, your experience was the exception, not the rule, for these types of shows. When I judge them, I’m happy if all the horses and riders do some approximation of the gaits called for. Tack and attire is the least of my concerns. Lol.

6 Likes

@FjordBCRF you should be okay with that sunshirt, if only because it’s black and it’ll be hard to tell that it lacks a traditional collar. I wouldn’t worry about the half-zip part, because all of my expensive western show shirts are zippered, not buttoned. But for sure, you can’t go wrong with a traditional collared, buttoned western shirt. (You can get a slightly used one pretty cheap on ebay :wink: )

There are Fjords out here, in Arizona, being used on real ranches. They are very hardy and durable. So I think you’ll fit in the ranch classes at a local open show just fine. The ranch rail classes will ask you to jog and then extend the jog (extended trot). They want to see a lengthening of stride plus an increase in pace, and some of those horses really trot out!

The discipline rail is, indeed, kind of a Simon Says thing. Although I’ve seen it judged where riders are eliminated, one by one, for errors, out here it’s pinned like a regular rail class. Besides the gaits, you might also be asked to halt and back, pivot (turn on the haunches) and walk on a loose (draped) rein. Stuff like that. The emphasis is on manners and the horse being a willing partner.

Good luck and I hope you and your beautiful horse have fun!

1 Like

Thanks @Paint_Party! That’s great to hear there are ranch fjords out there. They, mine included, do have impressive motors on them. He is happy to plod along though if not pushed :joy:.

Would I need a show halter for a halter class and showmanship or would a clean leather one and lead be acceptable? That I don’t have, nor a cowboy hat. I’ll have to get that sorted out or just skip those classes.

You don’t need a fancy show halter for halter and showmanship at ranch shows. That is frowned upon. A clean leather one will be perfect, just try to fit it as well as possible. Cheek piece should align with the top of the cheek bone and snug it up (not tight) so it’s not sloppy looking. Don’t let it hang too low down his face.

2 Likes

Great, thank you!!

1 Like

I couldn’t wear a black shirt if the weather was going to be 70° or over; I would get way too hot, since the color black absorbs heat.
It’s an elegant color choice if you’re sure you won’t get over heated

1 Like

I actually just ordered a Wrangler WHITE button up for that very reason! Planning to wear a white tank underneath because it will be a miracle if I can keep it clean it it will only go on right before going in the show pen.

For the halter…I was looking at some photos from an AQHA show. Rope halters are all good? That’s normally what I do groundwork in so that would be ideal. It looks like anything goes for a lead rope too? I have a black rope halter and a black cotton lead with a snap. If I can just use that I will!

Another halter question…the halter classes used to be before the riding classes. The way this show bill is, we would have the riding pattern, the rail, and then the halter class. It’s not looking like it will be too hot…but how do people keep their horses dry if they get any sweat marks on them? Does that matter?

1 Like

If it’s a Ranch conformation class, then rope halters and sweat marks are not only acceptable but almost expected. A “Western” halter class is usually more halter-y, for lack of a better term. But if the show is holding halter after performance, then a few sweat marks should be something the judge can overlook. Just towel or brush the horse dry as best you can.

Ha, no kidding!! Ok, thats great. There is a halter halter and a ranch halter class and I was just going to put him in the ranch halter one. I wish this stuff was around when I was younger, my mare probably would have done much better than in the standard classes.

1 Like

Honestly you could probably find a simple button down at a thrift store (or the back of your closet) to make the look much more Ranchy. If you don’t care all that much, just go with what you have. I’m sure the fjord will be just fine as far as movement etc. have fun!

ETA I found a bunch of Cinch and Wrangler shirts on eBay for a riding trip in Nevada for my daughter where she needed lightweight sun layers and there were a lot of inexpensive ones.

1 Like

HALP!

I just found they post the patterns online ahead of time which is fabulous. For the walk trot trail class…I have a lasso/rope, haven’t thrown it off Charlie yet but will introduce it to him this week…I doubt he will care. Everything else he’s good on.

In the class…what do you do if you rope the steer? Or if you miss it?

Whether you catch or miss after throwing your rope, you will drop the rope and they will give it back to you at the end of your go.

1 Like