Unlimited access >

Opinion of Michael Phelps from :( to :)

Laughing and sticking out his tongue during the National Anthem. That’s it for him in my opinion. :mad:

He has previously looked like an ape when he cheers for himself. He made a monkey of himself just now on the podium.

What is he doing at the Olympics? Winning medals, duh. But the Olympics are supposed to be about good sportsmanship, and he doesn’t have it. I’d rather have class on my team.

It looked to me as though he started laughing at himself for starting to tear up right before that. I don’t get the tongue out, though…

Looked as though someone in the stands was making him laugh. I’m sure we’ll get the story tomorrow.
I wouldn’t be too hard on him for that. I’ve never seen him fail to congratulate or console an opponent - he even gave a hug to the South African who had trash-talked him prior to the race. Said South African finished fourth.

I can kinda relate. Though none of my outbursts have occurred in front of a world wide audience, I’m awful about situationally inappropriate laughter.

Nicolas Astier was picking his nose during La Marseillaise so what?!!

Phelps is one of the greatest athlete of all time, like it or not his presence on the podium is well deserved.

He’s an amazing swimmer. Amazing. And it looks like he’s getting his life together after going off the rails a bit after his early success.

“My boys from Baltimore were down at the other end,” Phelps told NBC Sports. “Back in Maryland we say ‘O’ for the Orioles during that part of the national anthem. And all of a sudden I hear them roar ‘O’ and I knew exactly where it came from and I lost it. Those guys came down from Baltimore and New York City to be here. Just special to see those guys in the stands.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/rio-olympics-2016-michael-phelps-cracks-up-during-national-anthem-because-of-an-orioles-tradition/166lyrpixbenxzcji0q2cp6on

Not to mention that even winning as many medals as he has, emotions have got to be running high. Especially with the history he has had. I see it less as disrespectful and more as overwhelming emotions.

[QUOTE=Rackonteur;8789093]
Laughing and sticking out his tongue during the National Anthem. That’s it for him in my opinion. :mad:

He has previously looked like an ape when he cheers for himself. He made a monkey of himself just now on the podium.[/QUOTE]

Phelps was relentlessly bullied as a kid by classmates, and was called ape for his big ears and long arms. Odd that your mind runs that way, now.

I got that someone in the crowd was making him laugh, maybe not intentionally but you know how there are those times when you get the giggles and can’t stop, usually at times that are not appropriate. Give him a pass, it was just one of those moments.

[QUOTE=Zonderpaard;8789300]
http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/rio-olympics-2016-michael-phelps-cracks-up-during-national-anthem-because-of-an-orioles-tradition/166lyrpixbenxzcji0q2cp6on[/QUOTE]

As an Orioles fan, and someone who attended games at Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards, I have to bite my tongue to not yell out “O” during the national anthem.

[QUOTE=JJ’sLuckyTrain;8789376]
As an Orioles fan, and someone who attended games at Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards, I have to bite my tongue to not yell out “O” during the national anthem.[/QUOTE]

I’m not a Phelps fan, but as a Marylander I understand the reaction to the O’s yell. That’s “I’m on the worldwide stage right now, but people from home are here cheering from me.” I’d probably bawl. In the joy of the moment, he laughed.

[QUOTE=Mara;8789162]
I’ve never seen him fail to congratulate or console an opponent - he even gave a hug to the South African who had trash-talked him prior to the race. Said South African finished fourth.
.[/QUOTE]

I keep hearing that Chad Le Clos trash-talked Michael Phelps; what exactly did he say? Or is everyone referring to what happened before the semi-finals?

As far as I can tell, it may be 20% true and 80% a media created feud because it makes good tv.

I did wonder about the licking… nervous habit maybe. I noticed he does it quite a bit.

He’s been through a lot and proven the adage ‘Hard work beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard’ by being the example. Maturing before our very eyes.

[QUOTE=Firebug;8789401]
I keep hearing that Chad Le Clos trash-talked Michael Phelps; what exactly did he say? Or is everyone referring to what happened before the semi-finals?[/QUOTE]

Phelps was barred from Worlds [in 2014? 2015? I forget which].
Le Clos set a WR at Worlds, and talked smack [as they all do] about it.
Less than 12 hour later, in Omaha {?} at Nationals {?} Phelps shattered that WR.

They’ve been ‘rivals’ for quite a while… and without him, you have to wonder how fast would Phelps have had to go, or how determined would he have been to find out how fast he could go, without Le Clos?
In many of these races, IMO, the medalists have those fierce, strong, smack talking opponents to thank for pushing them [or their buttons] to find their best.

meh, not worth it.

I don’t like him either, and I’m sick of him. I know he’s won a lot of medals (duh) but please spotlight some of the lesser known athletes.

I just watched the video…and maybe I blinked and missed it but what I am seeing is he isn’t sticking his tongue out like “nanny nanny boo boo” he is rolling his tongue in his mouth and over his (probably VERY dry) lips. I don’t know the guy, but I know that when I am about to get emotional and possibly cry, I suck in my cheeks and roll my tongue around to try and stop it.

He was laughing because someone in the audience yelled “O” during the Anthem. This is a long standing tradition for Orioles fans, and even Marylanders in general. I’m not sure I even think it’s all that disrespectful to do it…a little awkward maybe? Like, save it for the O’s game.

But, picture yourself up on the podium, after two really emotionally draining days for one if the most hyped up races and dealing with another swimmer trash talking, staring, jumping around in front of you like Rocky, then finally getting to the race and winning. Someone yells “O” during the anthem, it brings you back to where you grew up, the USA that you know and love. I certainly would giggle.

I love that a SWIMMER is so famous he’s dominating news. He’s allowed to have silly, off moments in the press, IMO. That’s what happens when so many cameras are on you.

Like others have said, it’s a Baltimore thing. Everyone screams the “O” during the national anthem at ballgames, and other places too. And we don’t say Rio, we say Ri-OOOHHHH!!!