Unlimited access >

Opinion on Fiberglass trailers

I am looking at a 92’ Triton and from my understanding is made of fiberglass. I’ve never hauled in one (or even seen one for that matter). What’s the general consensus?

Are they safe (like say in a crash)?

TIA

1 Like

Please post a link to the trailer you are asking about. Triton was a player in aluminum trailers but I believe the company was sold recently.

1 Like

Edited to add: this was an FRP trailer.

We had a fiberglass equitrans for over 25 years. Heavy. Quiet. Warm in winter cool in summer. Careful, regular caulking a necessity. The panels cannot really be repaired, they need to be replaced. We did the ramp and it was a bugger. Loved that trailer but it was getting to the point the panels were deteriorating around the windows and doors. Check all cut/joined surfaces carefully.

1 Like

here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/914220603089364?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A53a779be-0e00-44d4-a5b3-08d3f4feb1b5

after digging deep into coth, I think ive been scared off. It seems like the FRP is great until its not.

2 Likes

I love my fiberglass Brenderup, but 1991 is definitely older than I’d go.

Equitrek are now made from a moulded fibreglass shell.
I’m a year in with mine and I’d say it’s pretty robust. Used weekly, no splits or cracks.
My horse had an absolute paddy in there one day - it was the day I found out you HAVE to load and go, no nipping to the loo once he’s onboard. 🫣
He created merry hell in there bouncing backwards off the rear wall and forwards into the breast bar then semi rearing followed by a kick out. He kept that up for 20 minutes! There was a bit of scuffing on the kickboards but no damage at all to the trailer.
Its a bit off putting when you can see the light shining through the composite but I’m happy that its as safe as it needs to be.

I contacted the owner and she was not the original owner and didn’t know if it was ever caulked. And to add insult to injury it’s in an area that had horrible floods (like an event in the same town had their lower level cross country course wash away).

I am steering clear.

2 Likes

You’re looking at a 92’ (92-foot) trailer?

What’s your tow vehicle?

I believe she means it was manufactured in 1992.

2 Likes

Yes, 1992 :joy:. Im glad someone could decipher my grammatical errors.

5 Likes