Unlimited access >

Opinions on Current Good Quality Paddock/Jodhpur Boots - Plus ZIP or PULL ON??? :)

Hi there everyone!
For quite a few months now, I’ve been trying to find a pair of Paddock/Jodhpur boots that are good quality without the $200+ price tag…
I have been on here searching as well as all over the good old internet, but most posts I’ve been reading are quite a few years old!

I usually only ride 1-3 times a week (or am planning to start doing so again when I can find time outside of the 9-5 and household jobs)…
I don’t compete and live in a usually very dry area. I have a pair of Dublin Easy Care half-chaps and would like to start wearing them again (hence the need for paddock boots) :slight_smile:

I have a pair of Requisite Neoprene tall boots (similar to these - http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mza1kFRx6lGEgdGzr2sMfeQ.jpg) and they are pretty darn good for the $20 I paid for them :winkgrin: I love the spur rest on them - it’s a decent size and my spurs never slip up or down!
They are good in winter as the neoprene is VERY warm, but I’ve found that I get too hot in them, so want a pair of short boots to wear with my chaps for those warmer days.

I do have a pair of Ariat Heritage Western J Toe boots, but I find the toe too long when I’m walking around the yard (the toe scrapes on the ground unless I high-step like a horse who’s never worn float boots before! :D) Plus I can’t wear my half-chaps with them :no:

So here I am!
I want a pair of Paddock boots that are really comfortable, easy on/off and lasts a decent amount of time (a couple of years at least as I have no need to be buying expensive boots 1-2 times a year!)…
I really like the idea of zip paddock boots, but many posts and reviews I’ve seen have made mention of zips breaking all too soon and zips coming down whilst riding…
Opinions please!! :winkgrin:
I will only consider laces if absolutely necessary and I’d like a zip at the back for easy on/off…
I will most likely only be wearing the boots when I actually ride - I have some damn comfy, cheap Wellies that I wear any time I’m outside at home - surprising comfort with added height for snake protection!!

Here are some of the boots I’ve been looking at and an idea on my price range…
Can anyone make any recommendations if you have owned them or had quite a bit of experience with any of them?
Any other recommendations are welcome too! :slight_smile:
1: Dublin Intensity Jodhpur Boots (Zip or Pull On)
2: Ariat Volant XT Zip Paddock Boots
3: Tredstep Giotto Front Zip Boots

Can anyone recommend any of the Ariats at the moment - Heritage III, Performer etc…

I’d also be interested in recommendations for paddock boots with a decent spur rest.
I’ve only not bought the Dublin’s as the rest is just a little bubble and I’m not sure how well it will stop “the slip” :slight_smile:
My first pair of paddock boots didn’t have a rest and I was forever stopping to push the spurs back up or down…
I am planning on getting some rubber coated spurs if this will help with the slipping issues and lessen the need for a decent spur rest (therefore widening my boot options further!)

Please forgive me for blabbing so much, but I feel that a bit of background is needed as I’d like to get he best I can for my price range.
I don’t plan on giving my boots absolute hell, but I don’t really plan on taking too much care of them either - the odd clean and a polish once or twice a year would do me…
I’d like the boots to last at least 2-5 years or more if I can get a good quality pair - keeping in mind that I only ride for about an hour a couple of times a week (if that), but I will wear the boots into the ground if they are going to last!

Any recommendations, help or comments are most welcome if you can help me out!!
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I got these for Christmas. They’re really comfy and REALLY warm. http://www.smartpakequine.com/solstice-winter-paddock-boot-9714p

Blundstones all the way. The 550 is excellent and what I generally ride in, the waterproof one is what I wear around the barn for chores and such as well as traipsing through this dang snow we have had lately. I LOVE them. Always bought your traditional paddock boots prior and they just didn’t last. Even ariat sports (which I really liked the feel of) just didn’t last like I wanted. I am in them alot and they take a pretty good beating, so I wanted something that would last longer than a year. I bought my previous blundstones in 2002 when in canada riding, and I got off my horse, took a step and the entire sole of my boot fell off. Were less than a year old and NOT cheap. I needed new boots ASAP and one of the girls had a pair of blundstones. I fell in love, immediately bought a pair from Apple Saddlery in Ottawa. I had those until late last year - had them resoled once in 2009 and they lasted until almost Nov of last year. Found a store in NH (Sugar Rive Outfitters) that was going out of business and were selling 3 for the price of one. I stocked up and now will have plenty to last me quite a while. As far as I’m concerned can’t beat em. Bought my husband a pair and now he’s a fan. Can be expensive depending on where get from, but worth every penny as they LAST.

I really prefer laces. I have a pair of zip up Ariat cobalts, and I find the ankles too big for my halfchaps. I make it work, but I have to squash the ankle to get the zipper done up.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone!! :slight_smile:
Has anyone had any experience with the boots I mentioned in my original post?
I really like the Dublin Intensity boots and I’d be interested in hearing opinions on the Ariat Volant XT (or the newer jodhpur style Volants)!! Especially since the Volant XT’s are disappearing off the internet and I have somewhere I can get them from in my size if they are OK to go with… :slight_smile:
I’m definitely looking for a jodhpur-type boot as I do not need these boots out of the saddle (I prefer my comfy Wellies as they protect higher up my leg if a snake suddenly appears - plus they’re good for washing the horses in!) :wink:

OH!!!
I was just on the Tredstep website and discovered that the Giotto Front Lace boot actually has a zipper at the back as well, so the best of both worlds right there!!
I have an issue where my ankles roll inwards when I walk, which turns my knees and hips in as well. If I can get the convenience of the zips, but the support of the laces - that would be incredible!
Also, the spur rests on either side of the boots is an interesting feature… Has anyone had any experience?

Please keep in mind I want a more jodhpur style boot, specifically for riding (not the workboot types) and I need to be able to wear my half chaps and spurs with them.
Also, as I live in Australia - it gets ridiculously hot and I’m looking for a pair of boots WITHOUT the warmth factor :slight_smile:

The Tredstep boots are FANTASTIC. Mine are about a year old now, I wear them 5-6x a week, sometimes bathe horses while wearing them, and they still look just about new. I have the zip-fronts, but whether you get zip or lace is up to you, I’m sure the quality is the same! I find them very comfortable, hold up wonderfully, and they look great, too. The little spur rests on either side don’t really make a difference at all in how your spur sits. Go for the Tredstep!

These aren’t on your list, but my FAVORITE pair of boots are the Dublin Venturers. With an application of lederbalsam or mink oil, they mold to your feet, and I find them incredibly comfortable. I have arthritis in one of my feet, and the toe boxes on these are generous. There are no spur rests, but because of the shape of the boot, I’ve not had any trouble with my spurs sliding. They’re definitely not formal footwear, but mine have taken a couple years of abuse and still clean up great. They also fit nicely with the Dublin half chaps you mentioned.

[QUOTE=caradino;7393333]
The Tredstep boots are FANTASTIC. Mine are about a year old now, I wear them 5-6x a week, sometimes bathe horses while wearing them, and they still look just about new. I have the zip-fronts, but whether you get zip or lace is up to you, I’m sure the quality is the same! I find them very comfortable, hold up wonderfully, and they look great, too. The little spur rests on either side don’t really make a difference at all in how your spur sits. Go for the Tredstep![/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks :slight_smile:
I’ve heard great things about the Tredsteps and I think the Laces with a back zip would be a pretty good option :slight_smile:
How did you find the sizing? Do they run small, large or are they true to size?
I’m a Euro 39, UK 6 or a AUS/US 8 in every shoe I have…

I think deep down I was always going to go for these, but I wanted to be sure :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KnightShadow1728;7394149]
Wow! Thanks :slight_smile:
I’ve heard great things about the Tredsteps and I think the Laces with a back zip would be a pretty good option :slight_smile:
How did you find the sizing? Do they run small, large or are they true to size?
I’m a Euro 39, UK 6 or a AUS/US 8 in every shoe I have…
I think deep down I was always going to go for these, but I wanted to be sure :)[/QUOTE]

I’m the same size. :slight_smile: I think they run very true-to-size, but are definitely built for a more narrow foot, so if you have wider feet they may not work for you.

Look like you are leaning toward the Tredsteps, but here’s my thoughts anyway:

1-Avoid zippers.
Anywhere they are placed they are going to eventually get full of grit and fail.
If you’re lucky a local shoemaker will be able to replace them, but some have zipper sizes peculiar to that maker and cannot be so easily fixed.
My custom Dehner paddock boots went to Nebraska for new zippers 3X before I just reordered a pull-on pair. The pull-ons lasted over 10yrs.

2-Blundstones are super-comfy for riding, but if you have a high instep they have zero support and will hurt your feet walking.
I got a pair, wore them once & sold them to a flat-footed friend.

[QUOTE=caradino;7396820]
I’m the same size. :slight_smile: I think they run very true-to-size, but are definitely built for a more narrow foot, so if you have wider feet they may not work for you.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou!! :slight_smile:
That’s good news - I remember my mum saying something about narrow feet whenever she took me school shoe shopping when I was younger!

Now just to find somewhere to buy them - we don’t have many options in Australia for Tredstep!

[QUOTE=2DogsFarm;7396897]
Look like you are leaning toward the Tredsteps, but here’s my thoughts anyway:

1-Avoid zippers.
Anywhere they are placed they are going to eventually get full of grit and fail.
If you’re lucky a local shoemaker will be able to replace them, but some have zipper sizes peculiar to that maker and cannot be so easily fixed.
My custom Dehner paddock boots went to Nebraska for new zippers 3X before I just reordered a pull-on pair. The pull-ons lasted over 10yrs.

2-Blundstones are super-comfy for riding, but if you have a high instep they have zero support and will hurt your feet walking.
I got a pair, wore them once & sold them to a flat-footed friend.[/QUOTE]

I’ve only ever had pull-on jodhpur boots, so I think this laces with zipper type is going to be a new experience and possibly a “learn-the-hard-way” learning curve!
I never plan on wearing the boots without half-chaps and will change into them just before jumping in the saddle, so hopefully that will keep those zippers safe at least for a good while.
We have an excellent boot maker in town who owns/runs the local tack store as well (from the same shop) so if anything goes wrong with the boots, I should be able to get them fixed up within a few days!
Thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated! :slight_smile:

I’ve had Ariat lace-ups with zippers in the back (the Performer Pro) and I’ve always thought they were great. I’ve never had the zipper fail; I think having the zip in the back keeps them a bit cleaner since they’re vertical and often covered by the back of the half-chap.

I have to say too that I love the Ariat footbeds which to me are the most comfortable. They have more support and also have a bit of cushiness that I like; they don’t feel like you’re wearing old-style riding boots.

I know a number of people have said that Ariat’s endurance has gone downhill, but I’ve been happy with them.

[QUOTE=Posting Trot;7399186]
I’ve had Ariat lace-ups with zippers in the back (the Performer Pro) and I’ve always thought they were great. I’ve never had the zipper fail; I think having the zip in the back keeps them a bit cleaner since they’re vertical and often covered by the back of the half-chap.

I have to say too that I love the Ariat footbeds which to me are the most comfortable. They have more support and also have a bit of cushiness that I like; they don’t feel like you’re wearing old-style riding boots.

I know a number of people have said that Ariat’s endurance has gone downhill, but I’ve been happy with them.[/QUOTE]

Hi!
I’ve just had a look at the Performers on the Ariat website and they look pretty damn good! :slight_smile:
I looked at the “Performer Zip” boots as there doesn’t seem to be any others with the lace/zip combo…
It’s a tough choice between the Ariat Performers and the Tredsteps, but I think I may be leaning for the Ariats!
It’s hard to get both Tredstep and the Ariat Performers in Australia, so I am trying to find online stores that will ship to AUS at decent prices!
Thanks for your input - I love my Ariat Western boots for their comfort and durability and was definitely trying to get another pair of Ariats if I could. I hope the new “durability issue” is not going to be a problem for me!!!

First though, I have to find a retailer!! :yes: