Unlimited access >

Opinions on overhead trailer tie systems?

My Lusitano tends to paw, and I’m not happy with the idea of tying him to my trailer in a standard way.

Due to multiple doors, on my two plus one, the only place to tie him is also directly over the fender.

I like the idea of tying him away from sharp metal. Any personal experience with these items?

might want to cross post in the Endurance Trail Ride forum

What you posted was available back when we as a family did competitive trial (NATRC) but we always used high lines between two trees (trees were wrapped to protect the bark) This got the horses away from the trailer and allowed them lie down if they wanted …plus was they could turn 360 degrees to see if something caused them to be concerned

Some areas would not allow high line use

1 Like

Have you tried pawing anklets?

How about hobble breaking?

I’m familiar with the Hi Tie system, the one you posted looks similar. https://www.thedistancedepot.com/The_Hi_Tie_Trailer_Tie_System_p/echitie.htm

There are also DIY options – the mechanism is the same as the “pogo stick” that is used on big rigs to hold the wires and hoses between the cab and the trailer.

1 Like

Is it a bare metal edge? First order of business would be to to cover it with an edge guard. There are different shapes and sizes, here’s an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/22-ft-Black-Rubber-Edge-Guard-Edging-ER-EG-22/318164558

I second getting horse hobble trained. You don’t have to be rough with him to do it. He is just learning another form of “submission” in accepting kindly restraint to your requests. He will be a BETTER horse for this added knowledge and it could come in handy should he ever get tangled in something!

The other option is covering the wheels and fender with a large piece of plywood tied on somehow, so he can’t paw them or get caught/cut on fender edge. Have seen this happen a couple times.

I consider relentless pawing while tied to be a bad habit. He could hurt himself and damage the trailer, flatten your tires! So horse then is taught to hobble while tied. No one gets hurt, horse gains knowledge, PATIENCE, and I am happier! Sometimes trailer is the only place we can tie to, he needs to tie and stand WELL for us.

I use burlap hobbles, not the strap with buckle types. Strap types are harder to get on and off fast, not wide enough for our big, broad- chested horses. Burlap hobbles easily adjust to size of horse, have never left a mark, can be cut fast if horse gets in trouble and are home made cheap.

1 Like

I’ve been around a fair number of Iberians. They are very busy with their front feet. Expressive. They paw and even just wave their front feet more than other breeds, and npt even just when they are anxious like a normal horse. I remember being in the barns at the local Iberian breed show and the amount of pawing echoed around. I’m not familiar with hobbling so not sure if you can hobble a Lusitano like you can a QH.

A portable corral is around $1000. More work for you but probably safer for the pawing-prone horse.

I prefer this option to hobbling. If the horse is pawing a lot, he is likely doing so as a way to combat boredom or nerves and he is likely to pick up another vice or anxiety if you just hobble him without giving him another outlet for his energy. Have you ever tried standing in one spot, on your own, without moving for 10+ minutes? I would lose my mind.