Unlimited access >

Opportunities for Adult Pony Riders??

I recently acquired a large pony that I’d love to start showing Dressage withbut was told that ponies have limited options with adult riders. So, I guess my question is what level can they compete to? And/or what limitations are there for them with adult riders? Are there any incentive programs for ponies available? …any pony info is much appreciated! Thank you

Adults on ponies can do basically everything in dressage. It’s the hunter world where there are more restrictions. Adults can show ponies through grand prix at National shows, including Regionals and US Finals. Some competitions even have special ribbons or awards for ponies. The only restriction is that an adult can’t show a pony in a CDI. There is also a championship for ponies called the National Dressage Pony Cup.

1 Like

The California Dressage Society offers a “high score” pony ribbon at every show as well as an end of year “champion pony” award. Adults on ponies are eligible.

The National Dressage Pony Cup is an organization dedicated to supporting pony riders of all ages. There are end of year awards as well as their own big national show each year.

Adults on ponies can compete at all levels, including PSG/I1/I2 and GP. We just can’t ride them in CDIs. The “FEI Pony” class is for children only.

My friend happened into a Welsh Cob pony a few years ago that had fallen into bad circumstances (long story). Anyway—she bought him super cheap to get him out of his bad situation. She found he had former dressage training and started working with him with intent to show and do the pony cup etc. She has had such a blast with him—and she is a long legged adult —but still looks great on him. He’s 14. 1. She moved him up to 4th level at the end of this season and was getting scores in the mid-60’s. Most of the dressage shows have pony divisions—and some shows partner with the dressage Pony Cup organization, and give out special awards for ponies at those shows.

This pony has SO much swag right now, her tack room is filled with pony champion ribbons, pony cup neck ribbons, etc. She is currently in the top standing for the USDF breed awards at 3rd and 4th level for Welsh Cob. So, there are also breed based awards through USDF. And the National Pony Cup does year end awards as well. What’s ironic is that she also has a fancy, young horse imported from Germany, but he is sitting on the back burner for a bit because she is doing so well with her pony.

So yes, there are a lot of programs for adults on ponies!

1 Like

As others have said, there are plenty of opportunities for Adults on Ponies. I’ve been breeding welsh cobs for over 25 years. I have competed at FEI and so far have earned my silver. One of my ponies (all welsh cobs) is only 13 hands and we’ve earned 60s at PSG. I am 55. I have earned all breed awards (multiple times), many Dover medals, HOY awards from my GMO, perpetual trophies, etc - all on Welsh Cobs doing dressage. My current mount is a section D who is right at 14.2. If the Gods deem it so, I hope to take him to Grand Prix. Given that he’s only four, that will likely see me in my 60s, as an adult riding my pony in dressage competitions. As with any other mount of any size, the greatest limitation is usually the rider. A talented pony (who hopefully has short man syndrome because those will command the audience) can take you far.

6 Likes

I have a friend who owns several Welsh ponies. One showed thru I-1 and the other PSG. The youngster is not there yet, but will be. I might add that she got very good scores in central Florida under a range of judges and won some classes over the bigger equines.

Who told you that?

1 Like

Also, isn’t large ponies up to

Horses at all levels must have a height at the withers exceeding one meter and forty eight centimetre (1.48 m)

14.3 is 1.50m

So Large ponies could participate in CDIs?

ARTICLE P-3 PONY

1. Ponies’regulatoryheightatthewithersmustnotexceed148.0cmwithoutshoes(refVRs).
  2. PoniesbeingmeasuredatFEIEventsaregivenaheightallowance;theirheightatthe withers must not exceed 150.0cm without shoes or 151.0cm with shoes (Ref VRs).

My pony has a card at 149cm w/o shoes, and yes, he is above “pony height.” North Forks Cardi, for example, has a FEI number and is designated as “no” in the pony classification. Top Queen H, however, is designated Yes with a height of 146cm (obviously, since the pony europeans winner would have to be a pony).

The FEI classification states that a pony is 148cm w/o shoes, 149cm with. The measurement in (2) as you posted has to do with ponies having their measurements confirmed at an FEI event, in which case they are allowed to measure “over” due to atmosphere, etc.

148 is 14.2 1/2, so yes, if you can measure over 151 at an FEI event when the measurement is checked, you could in theory compete a pony at CDI.

So the OP’s large pony might be able to do CDI
s as well!!!

@Pacifically : I think you have nothing to worry about competing your large pony. :slight_smile:

Depends on how large is large. 14.1 is also a large pony and would not qualify. Anything over 13.3 is a “large pony.” Only those that are overheight of 14.2 would fall under this.

1 Like

and I wrote « might »! :slight_smile:

What ExVet says. She has been very successful with her ponies and I know of someone who purchased one of her ponies and is now showing and looking pretty fantastic (I saw a video). Nancy Hinz, a trainer I knew, has brought several Welsh ponies to FEI and/or GP. German Riding Ponies are quite popular and are shown by adults regularly at all levels. Really, the sky is the limit with ponies, and a good pony will get you noticed in a sea of 16.2-17 hh bay warmbloods with with white saddle pads. Good luck and have fun on your journey with your pony!!

Great thread. If I’m still able to ride after my three big boys age out, I’m going for a good large pony next.

1 Like

Just to correct a few things: Whoever said that to the OP doesn’t have a clue of what they’re speaking, I find that a LOT, unfortunately. A large pony is anything between 13.2±14.2. USDF does allow 148cm w/o shoes, which is approx 14.2 1/8", NOT anywhere close to 1/2", 149cm with shoes. Your pony either measures in or they don’t, you cannot waver between the 2 groups. If they are truly pony height, they cannot compete in CDIs, big deal, how many folks not only get to Grand Prix, but then want to take the extra step/expense for that!!! Not many. So…you really aren’t “limited” in any way by having/riding a pony, especially if it’s one with talent and a good work ethic. How about some pix, OP? :wink:

1 Like

I wonder if OP was talking to somebody that is a hunter rider not a dressage rider as that statement does hold true for hunters.

2 Likes

I understand, I guess I should have put “max 148/149”

the NDPC has worsened the confusion by adding “small horse” divisions.

Maybe, who knows? However, even though ponies have become quite popular, there are still a few holdouts that don’t deem them as worthy as their taller counterparts or simply don’t have any interest/knowledge in training/showing them. A big loss for them, in my opinion!! :wink:

LOL, I was thrilled when they added those!!! Not confusing at all, just detailed. :slight_smile: To simplify, if it’s over pony height, but under 16h, it’s eligible for the small horse division.

Same! I love the small horse division, since my hony is 14.2 1/2" thanks to his darn shark withers.

1 Like