Unlimited access >

Optimum Time App for Apple Watch

Hi - I’m officially starting development for an optimum time app. I’ve seen a lot of people wanting to use their smartwatch, but it not having the right settings or accessibility options is a roadblock.

I’m hoping to gauge some interest and grab some suggestions to make sure the app reaches its potential.

Features so far:

• Independent app. Aka no companion app on the iPhone, so you don’t need your phone nearby to use it. Or any sort of wifi/cellular connection. Just you, your watch, (hopefully a horse), on course.
  • High contrast and large time format For visibility reasons. I can’t make your screen bigger, but we can use the whole thing. Plus, make it bright. Adjustable color options, so you can adjust the contrast to your needs.
  • Big Button and delayed start I’m thinking that one would enter the optimum time, and then it would move to a screen with one Very Large button to start. Users would have the option to adjust the amount of time before the optimum time countdown starts. So one would hit the start button, 5-10 second countdown, and then the optimum time would start counting down.
  • Minute Markers An alert at every minute while counting down. More frequent alerts after __ mins. Options to turn this off as well.

Currently planning for a beta release no later than March 2024. (Just in time for event season!)

9 Likes

Sounds great!

I’d like a function showing current speed in MPM for training, though that may run up against USEA rules for competition.

EV116 Radios and Cellular Phones says adios and cell phones aren’t allowed in competition and because Apple watches can be connected to a cell phone that might present a problem? Hope not!

1 Like

Now this would be extremely helpful! If permitted, of course.

1 Like

Ahh, that is an interesting concept. I doubt it would be allowed, but I could possibly reach out. Or add it in as an optional feature. There are plenty of speedometer apps already, but I never thought of using them for training.

1 Like

As someone that sees better with a dark background and light letters/numbers aka dark mode option might be helpful.

For alerts could an option be to offer a sound alert, vibrate only alert, or both.

1 Like

I feel like my watch doesn’t last long enough to be reliable enough to trust at a show.

Frankly I’d like a head-up display with a mic and speaker for helmets - on xc with current speed shown. In fact, it could be used for learning dressage tests, jump rounds, all sorts of things.

Why we’re still trying to look at a wristwatch in this day and age is daft (tho $ I’d for sure a component) Hmmm… I wonder if a glasses version of this already exists?

Oh honey, it might be time for a new one! My Apple watch goes 2-3 days without a charge.

1 Like

I’d absolutely love to see this, but a bit more high-tech than my abilities.
It could be very useful for training, especially if it could be used alongside products like Ceefit, Polar, CWD’s iPulse, or Voltaire’s blue infinite.

1 Like