Unlimited access >

Orange County CA riding schools - looking for recommendations please

I’m currently living in OC and am considering my options for a riding school. Looking for any recommendations for a great place - I’m open to places in Coto de Cara, San Juan Capistrano, Peacock Hill, the Oaks etc.

I don’t want to be super competitive but I do want to continue gaining a solid foundation in hunters/eq (maybe jumpers but not Grand Prix level) and go somewhere where the culture is friendly overall, not too pushy, safe and fun. I am starting the search for my own horse (first horse, oh how long I have wanted this!) so a trustworthy trainer to help me look is essential.

any and all recommendations welcome! Thanks!!

Peacock Hill is currently closed for construction after the fire, but Le Cheval works out of peacock typically. Lauren is great and super nice and so is everybody at Le Cheval. They are currently at Serrano creek Ranch in Lake Forrest you should give her a call! If you are ever interested in eventing San Juan Capistrano is the place to go! So many awesome eventing training including Lisa Hall and Sara Blann! Good luck!

1 Like

Elvenstar Orange County in Huntington Beach, Hayden Show Jumping in Laguna Hills or Edgar Pagan Show Jumpers. All have good programs, I have personal experience with the first two and a good friend who rides with Edgar.

2 Likes

My friend rides with Lauren and loves her. This is her blog:

https://susanfriedlandsmith.com/

if you scroll through you can read about the barn fire. I think they will be moving back in a few weeks.

1 Like

It’s an eventing barn, not hunters & eq, but if you’re interested in riding foundations and in aiming to jumpers, I’d heartily suggest checking out http://www.saboeventing.com at the OC fairgrounds. Brian & Lisa Sabo are amazing teachers and horsemen and you will be a better rider for any time you can spend with them.

Thanks everyone! I met with Lauren at their temporary location and I’m going to scout out the rebuild soon! Lauren was super sweet and responsive.

I got a little claustrophobic at their temporary location - I’m used to a lot of traffic but more open space where I’m currently riding.

Horses are moving back to Peacock Hill next week should you be interested in Lauren or Edgar. I ride with Edgar and we have a really fun supportive group of people but it is not a riding school, as there are no lesson horses. But if you are ready to purchase, he can assist. You certainly couldn’t go wrong with either, it just depends on what you are looking for. Edgar is more of a pro’s pro and an exceptional horseman. He has a fantastic assistant that will teach and train while he is away or work on basics with all level of riders. I’d encourage you to meet with both and see where you think you would fit in better. The best part of Peacock is that all the trainers get along and are supportive of one another, probably because they never really compete for clients and the programs are different enough.

1 Like