Unlimited access >

Order esterone online?

My mare gets weekly esterone injections to keep her stifles happy. I used my last dose 2 weeks ago and called the vet for a refill. They’ve been out of it for two weeks now. I also got three bottles in a row from them that didn’t contain the full dosage. When I spoke to the clinic about it, they didn’t believe me. I’d like to find an alternative source, preferably online, but can’t find any online pharmacies that carry it. Any suggestions? (Yes, I know I would need a prescription.)

It is estrone, maybe you can’t find it because you are spelling it wrong. I would try Wedgewood.

Mine gets shipped directly from Wickliffe–vet calls it in and it’s at my farm sometimes by the next day. Easy pleasy! :slight_smile:

http://wicklifferx.com

I don’t think you can order it online. It is a steroid, and an anabolic one at that. In the past few years I’ve noticed many veterinarians in the area now practice administering it themselves instead of giving the owners the whole vial, like they used to.

When I used it, my vet allowed me to take the entire bottle and administer it myself, but that was several years ago. I recently looked into Estrone again (for the same horse) but the area I had moved to was very restrictive on allowing clients to have their own supply.

If you have a good vet/client relationship, I imagine they can place the order online and ship it to you. So yes, I still think you need a prescription. If the clinic didn’t believe you, maybe they are worried about its “extracurricular” use.

[QUOTE=beowulf;7381224]
I don’t think you can order it online. It is a steroid, and an anabolic one at that. In the past few years I’ve noticed many veterinarians in the area now practice administering it themselves instead of giving the owners the whole vial, like they used to.

When I used it, my vet allowed me to take the entire bottle and administer it myself, but that was several years ago. I recently looked into Estrone again (for the same horse) but the area I had moved to was very restrictive on allowing clients to have their own supply.

If you have a good vet/client relationship, I imagine they can place the order online and ship it to you. So yes, I still think you need a prescription. If the clinic didn’t believe you, maybe they are worried about its “extracurricular” use.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are thinking about Winstrol.

OP you should have no problem keeping plenty of estrone on hand for your horse. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I guess misspelling the name would make it hard to find. :wink:

[QUOTE=Herbie19;7381248]
I believe you are thinking about Winstrol.

OP you should have no problem keeping plenty of estrone on hand for your horse. :)[/QUOTE]

No, I’m talking about Estrone.

Estrone IS a steroid, and there are restrictions and regulations on clients handling steroids. Some vets do not allow their clients to have their own bottle - and some are more ‘liberal’ about it. Mine was, several years ago - but when I tried to get Estrone for the same gelding two years ago, it was available via vet administration only. I wasn’t really interested in paying 120$+ each week for single doses when the bottle itself is around 88$.

Having some on hand isn’t a problem, it’s getting it. If the clinic was in disbelief the OP was already out of Estrone, they may not allow the OP to get more. Estrone, IME, cannot be gotten without a prescription.

[QUOTE=beowulf;7381323]
No, I’m talking about Estrone.

Estrone IS a steroid, and there are restrictions and regulations on clients handling steroids. Some vets do not allow their clients to have their own bottle - and some are more ‘liberal’ about it. Mine was, several years ago - but when I tried to get Estrone for the same gelding two years ago, it was available via vet administration only. I wasn’t really interested in paying 120$+ each week for single doses when the bottle itself is around 88$.

Having some on hand isn’t a problem, it’s getting it. If the clinic was in disbelief the OP was already out of Estrone, they may not allow the OP to get more. Estrone, IME, cannot be gotten without a prescription.[/QUOTE]

What I was saying is that at least in my neck of the woods estrone is not and never has been a controlled substance. Lucky for me I guess! :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a problem getting it 90ml (in 3 30ml bottles, so 18 doses) at a time from any of my vets. I believe I pay around $100 for that amount.

[QUOTE=Herbie19;7381420]
What I was saying is that at least in my neck of the woods estrone is not and never has been a controlled substance. Lucky for me I guess! :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a problem getting it 90ml (in 3 30ml bottles, so 18 doses) at a time from any of my vets. I believe I pay around $100 for that amount.[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to move to VA! I’m sick of the snow anyway :yes: When I was training down in SC I inquired with my vet for a bottle and couldn’t get it… Unfortunately horses who could benefit from Estrone seem to be a common theme in my life.

Has it worked well for you? I’m always interested in other people’s experiences. It made my horse 110% better, but others that have used it at my old barn did not have the same success.

It is definitely not an anabolic steroid, it is a hormone. In my experience it either does absolutely nothing or works miracles and is always worth a try with stifles.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7381735]
It is definitely not an anabolic steroid, it is a hormone. In my experience it either does absolutely nothing or works miracles and is always worth a try with stifles.[/QUOTE]

It’s my understanding it is “mildly” anabolic? Or, that is what my vet told me when I called him asking why certain vets weren’t comfortable doling them out via bottle instead of syringe.

That I don’t know but it isn’t a steroid.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7381751]
That I don’t know but it isn’t a steroid.[/QUOTE]

Estrone is a steroid hormone. It is mildly anabolic.

I get 30 ml bottles from Wedgewood for $21. My vet has written me the prescription with unlimited refills for years, and she’s not super liberal with meds.

For the edification of others who’ve chimed in, I’ve been buying 20 ml vials plus 5 needles and syringes from my vet for years for about $50. At $10/ dose, It has been a relatively cheap and easily administered miracle-cure for my mare. I’ve tried reducing the frequency of the injections to every 10 days or every other week and she didn’t do as well. She’s a shrimpy little WB at 15’2, so I can I do a 4ml weekly dose instead of the standard 5ml. We can get a little off schedule (miss a week or go 10 days) without noticeable consequences, but she does the best overall when we stick with the weekly injections.