Unlimited access >

ORIF Ankle surgery to back in the Saddle...

Just over a month ago, my mare and I parted ways at a high rate of speed and I now find myself in a hard cast recovering from ORIF surgery (two plates, many screws). I’ve been reading old threads here and see that many folks say it took them about a year to feel fully recovered from similar surgical procedures…but I am wondering what that actually means.

Is that a physical recovery (no more pain/weakness when riding) or a mental one (personally, I have this irrational worry that I am going to put my heel down and the bones are just going to disintegrate around the hardware)?

A year from my injury puts me right at the start of formal fox hunting season in 2018…is it reasonable for me to expect to be able to hunt in the field next season?

By the time I will be able to get back on (at the earliest) it will have been 3 months since my injury, so I am expecting to be completely out of shape as well as weak on that leg in particular–no hunting for me this year. But I’m really curious about what other folks consider to be complete recovery…

I had a pilon fracture - which means it involves the weight bearing joint surface and orif surgery earlier this year. Lots of physio is necessary to build up your leg muscle after being non weight bearing for several weeks. I am back to riding, in my dressage saddle - I don’t have enough range of movement for jumping length stirrups (6 months post ORIF). I have to be very careful dismounting as my ankle will not tolerate much concussion. I’m not back to riding professionally again yet but as far as I see it any time in the saddle is better than none!

@OneFineMess did your achilles tendon shorten in the cast? My doc said that is likely and that it will reduce the range of motion significantly making heels down difficult.

@ecileh I am quite literally on the recovery route of this same surgery. I broke my tibia and fibula just above the ankle end of May this year. I also had ORIF, and now have 2 plates and around 8 screws in my tibia. I parted company with my coach’s horse at a show when mine happened. I also did some damage to my meniscus & MCL in my knee on the same leg.

I was 9 weeks completely non-weight bearing on that leg. They put me in an aircast boot about 20 days post-surgery, so I could take it off to shower, which was great. They also had me start some gentle ankle movement (up and down) around that time as well to try and get as much mobility back as I could.

I started being allowed to partially weight-bear on August 1 this year. My muscles were pretty well gone from knee down on that leg. One interesting tidbit - I found my foot was the most painful when starting to weight bear. All of those little foot muscles need to stretch back out and re-adjust and strengthen. I used crutches to help me during this phase, and was finally able to go airboot free by the last week of August - 3 months from injury/surgery. I progressed to a cane around this time too.

I am now just over 4 months post-injury, and am finding myself getting stronger everyday. I’m no longer using a cane, and I’m not limping as much anymore (only really when I’m tired or have pushed myself too much). I’ve been going to physio, and doing yoga almost everyday. Yoga has been the MOST beneficial thing for me.

In terms of riding - I got back on, basically the second I could partially weight bear. I wrapped my airboot cast in a standing wrap to keep it from scratching my saddle, took the stirrup off the right side, and with lots of help and my steady eddy horse, got back on. My horse was/is also rehabbing, so he and I were just doing walk/trot, and that was PLENTY! I’d not recommend this unless you have a lovely quiet horse - my surgeon basically rolled his eyes at me when I told him…I think he knew there was nothing going to stop me.

Once I had the cast off, I managed to get into my older pair of paddock boots…the really broken in ones…as I still have quite a bit of swelling in my foot/ankle. (Compression socks, and the Back on Track Ankle brace will be your best friends).

My heel in the beginning couldn’t get down at all. Lots of 2-point practice really helps stretch, and has been super. About of month of riding in (walk/trot only, as my horse is rehabbing too), and I feel like I could canter now. My heel still creeps up on that side sometimes, when I’m concentrating on something else, but it’s already WAY better. My riding muscles are coming back nicely too.

I can’t run yet, or do any jumping on that leg, and I prefer to dismount on to a mounting block. My balance is not back yet 100%, but improving. My range of motion is also not back to where it was, but it is improving everyday. I would say, that 4 months out, I am about 90% “functionally recovered”. I get sore…sometimes, it feels like I have wicked shin splits on that leg, and I have nerves that are not back yet along the inside of my ankle and into my foot. My knee still gives me grief, but has also improved a lot.

I don’t expect to be running or jumping/balancing well for another 3 months…but could be sooner! I’m fairly confident I won’t feel 100% normal for a full year. HOWEVER, as I am now, I would 100% try jumping my horse again (if he was allowed to at this point haha!). I feel like I have enough stability in the saddle that I could ride fairly normally, although perhaps not as “prettily” as I used to.

My other recommendation is to try and keep the rest of your body fit - modify yoga, lift weights etc. It will make a big difference as well.

If you want to chat about experiences…feel free to ping me/message me. It’s all still very fresh for me. I don’t envy you! Get some good books, find some Netflix to binge, and try and visit your horse. It’s a rough go, but if you’re like me, you’ll be back in the saddle before long. I find riding easier than walking some days!!

I am on the schedule to have the surgery next week. I am nervous, but I am glad I found this thread! i was cantering and the horse tripped and I got pinned under him. Not fun.

I had ORIF on my ankle in April of 2012 (bi-malleolar fracture with displacement; 1 plate, 7 pins and 2 screws still in my ankle). I was in PT but non-weight bearing until the end of May. I was finally out of the boot and walking on my own (still in PT) by end of July. Sometime in August I got back on a horse for the first time since my fall. I jumped little cross rails for the first time in January 2013 (still in PT). I was back competing at Novice level eventing summer of 2013 (still in PT). I never regained full ROM in my ankle and it will always be a bit stiff, but I can walk limp-free and ride just fine. It took a good 2+ years before it didn’t hurt to jog a short distance (like to cross a street quickly).

My recommendation is to start PT as soon as your surgeon allows it (my surgeon had me start with stretches at home 10 days after surgery) and make sure both your surgeon and PT understand you are an athlete. I’m not a spring chicken anymore and some surgeons seemed to think that once I hit 40 I stopped being active. Uh, no. I went with the surgeon who worked on professional football players and dancers because he got it when my first question was “When can I ride again?”.

1 Like

@sopha My life improved GREATLY once the surgery was done. I had to wait 10 days between my injury and the surgery for swelling to go down and it was so stressful to have an unstable fracture (three of them, actually) for that time. Once I had the surgery and a cast on, I felt more “safe”–even just sitting on my couch.

I was just taken out of my cast on Tuesday (about 1 month post-surgery) and cleared to start putting limited weight on the aircast/walking boot with crutches. @eh-equestrian is right–the most pain comes from putting weight on the FOOT, not the ankle.

My surgery wasn’t a bad experience. I did wake up in the middle of it and have a conversation with the anesthesiologist (about fox hunting) and it was a little disconcerting to be able to feel them screwing in the plates, but it was painless. I had a spinal block and opted for sedation rather than general anesthesia because GA really takes a toll on my body in particular and I wanted to just focus on healing the injury, not getting over the GA, too.

I haven’t really be able to go out and see my horses very much yet. Mine is my right leg, so I can’t drive, and they didn’t want me moving around a lot until the staples came out and they were sure the plates were stable (post-op xray at 2 weeks). That, and I was worried that my scooter/walker would terrify horses on cross-ties and get someone killed. I am really looking forward to being able to put all my weight on the boot so I can at least go out and groom them.

Good luck!

I was in a plaster back slab only for the first week or two, after that I was in an air cast. My Surgeons directions were to remove it a few times a day and do some range of motion exercises: point toes down, point toes up. The Achilles was thicker and not a flexible when I started Physio (9 weeks after surgery) but has come along well.

Update-- So far, so good. I have 2 plates and 12 screws. I have been pain free and am 50% weight bearing 4 weeks after surgery. I managed to get Thanksgiving dinner for 9 cooked and served without killing myself off! I want to go for a pony ride, but can’t quite figure out how to get on! I think I am happiest about being able to take a shower standing up!

1 Like

@sopha That’s great news!

I’m at 11 weeks out from my surgery and am now walking at home un-supported and out and about with just an ankle brace. I had really hoped to be back on by now, but my ortho wants me to wait until we are on the back side of the bone healing–so there is one more set of xrays to go before I am cleared.

So glad that you are up and around and on the mend!

I’m so glad to see this conversation on here as I had just logged in to start my own as all of the posts I could find when I was going through my ordeal were so negative and terrifying! I, however, have had very successful recovery. My story is below. Sorry it’s so long, but it’s stuff that I wish I would have read/known when I was going through it all.

On May 21, 2017, I broke my tibia and fibula at the ankle when my sweet, green mare decided she didn’t want to take a jump at a show and, instead of making the decision to circle out (hello, she’s a green horse, it’s a schooling show, AND it was the warm-up class - SMH), I tried to force her over the fence. We all know who is going to win that argument. When I finally came off of her, I landed on my left foot and thought, “hallelujah, I just landed on my feet and everyone will think I’m so cool!” Unfortunately, my foot stuck very firmly in the sand and my body kept going. And, well, it didn’t end well. At first, I thought (prayed) it was just a horrible sprain. I tried to walk out of the arena on my own, but that didn’t go well. My trainer ran out and sat with me for a few minutes while we figured out what might be going on. I decided that I could walk out of the arena using him as a “crutch” which was a HORRIBLE idea! One step was fine (even though I couldn’t feel my left foot at all), but the next time I went to put weight on that foot, everything fell apart. I will spare everyone the details of that moment. The medic came out, took off my boot, wrapped my ankle (out of position mind you - OUCH!!), and my trainer drove me to the nearest ER.

So, one thing led to another, and I ended up having to wait 10 days for the swelling to go down before they could operate. On May 31, 2017, I underwent an ORIF operation and they put in a plate, 6 pins, and 2 screws. During my follow up appointment with my surgeon, I learned that my trying to walk on my injury (twice) had crushed the fibula more than could be seen in the x-rays, so the plate was quite a bit thicker than anticipated. But, everything went great in the surgery and I was on my way to recovery.

After surgery, there was zero weight bearing allowed. I got my stitches out 10 days after surgery and a cast put on. The cast was taken off on June 30, 2017 and I was given the green light to slowly start putting weight on the ankle while wearing the fancy air boot. I probably pushed it a bit, but I was walking with just one crutch in just a couple of weeks. At my next appointment on July 24, 2017, my surgeon told me to start to “get back to normal life as much as possible” and, get this, actually gave me the green light to ride again!!! I couldn’t believe it. Almost every post I read about riding post-ORIF made me believe I wouldn’t even be on a horse again for 4-5 months. And, yet, here I was less than 8 weeks post-op with clearance from my surgeon to ride again! Granted, I was expected to “take it easy,” but I didn’t have to break any rules to start riding again.

I eased back into riding by starting off on a great friend’s sweet, sweet older mare who had just come off of stall rest. We were the perfect pair - both in recovery mode. I spend a couple of weeks riding her 4-5 days a week, and then decided it was time to ride my girl again. Getting back on her was like the best dream of my life coming true. The first day, we just walked, but I was so happy that I stayed on for an hour and a half. Then, we quickly progressed to trotting, cantering, etc. Now that I’ve rambled so much, I’ll sum up what has happened since.

She and I went back to our first post-break horse show on October 7, 2017. This show just happened to be at the same place where the accident happened. The funny thing is that I wasn’t nervous or scared. I was determined. We jumped around a 2’3" - 2’6" course like we hadn’t taken a break (no pun intended) at all. We also just wrapped up another show last weekend that went amazingly well!

Now, for a few tips and what my ankle future holds:

1. During your non-weight bearing period, get a knee scooter!! It was a life saver for me. Once I finally got one, I was so much more independent. I also invested in an Ariat backpack as carrying a purse while on crutches is just not pleasant, and it also allowed me to carry more things around the house. Oh, and if you are fortunate enough to have access to a swimming pool, take advantage of it. I was walking around in the pool within two days after the cast coming off, and it was glorious! It also really helped with getting my strength and mobility back.

2. If you have broken your left ankle, once you ride again, mounting is obviously going to be an issue. I talked with my trainer about trying to mount from the right side and he thought that might work. However, when he tried it on my mare to get her used to it (she’s such an angel that she had no issue with it at all), he found that he almost fell off just trying to find his balance that way. He didn’t think the risk was worth it for me (God bless our trainers!), so, every day I rode, someone would help me climb the stairs of our huge mounting block and, from there, I could get my right leg over my girl’s back and slide on. However, it only took a few weeks before I was able to mount again on my own.

3. I cannot tolerate paddock boots as the top of the boot rubs too much on the plate. The only tall boots that fit right now considering the size of my ankle are the boots I was wearing when I took my fall. Of course, they are my Parlanti show boots, but, hey, at least something fits! I find that compression socks (not the super compressing ones, but the middle of the road) along with some vet wrap around my ankle works better for me than the back-on-track ankle brace. It just did not give me enough support and made getting my boots on too tough.

4. My trainer has somewhat weak ankles and so totally understands ankle injuries and pain. He recommended that I ride with my foot almost all the way in the stirrup (not past the heel of the boot, obviously). As a hunter rider, this totally upset me as how could I possibly ride without putting my heels down!?! That led to a very helpful discussion with my trainer about it not really being about the position of the heel but more where your weight is distributed. Wish I would have known that at 8 years old when all I ever heard was, “GET THOSE HEELS DOWN!!!” Lol! I’ve been slowly backing my foot out of the stirrup and am almost back to my pre-break position. But, the hardware does get in the way of my mobility, which leads me to my next point…

5. This is a big one in my mind - if you have hardware in your ankle (or elsewhere), please consider researching getting it removed. And, talk to your surgeon about it as well. I am an attorney (lame!) and, because of that, am one of those nerds that actually enjoys researching anything and everything. During the 10 days I waited for my surgery, I researched everything about the surgery, weight bearing afterwards, etc. After my surgery, I spent the non-weight bearing weeks researching what happens after a surgery like this. I stumbled across a snowboarding forum where a ton of people had experienced this injury and had developed major problems with the hardware after a few years. That led me to do more and more research, and I found a rather recent medical study that recommends hardware removal if the patient is healthy. Then, I found more and more discussion boards all discussing hardware removal. Some of the biggest issues/concerns I read about were from people who had either never been given the option for removal or who had opted not to do so and who 10, 15, 20 years down the road, started experiencing issues with the hardware. Most often, a screw or pin would begin to back itself out of the bone and would require removal. Unfortunately, after a number of years, the hardware is so implanted in your body that removal is not as easy as it is early on. Now, this is all coming from someone who still has her hardware but…

My hardware removal surgery is on December 19, 2017 (10 days from now!!!). While I have moments when I wonder whether I really want to undergo another surgery when I’m walking fine, back to riding (at almost 100%), and really don’t have all that much pain, I am reminded why I’m getting the surgery when I put my boots on and feel the pins rubbing up against my boot. Unfortunately, I have rather skinny ankles and, once the swelling went down, the plate and pins became very prominent under my skin. Part of that is also due to the fact that they had to put a thicker plate in there.

Anyway, I talked with my surgeon and, seeing as I am not going to be retiring from riding anytime soon (or ever) and so will continue wearing boots on a daily basis, we decided hardware removal would be best for me. And, even though I’m no spring chicken, I’m just 38 and plan to stay active for a long time, so the thought of possibly having issues with the hardware 10 years down the road is just too scary for me. Luckily, the hardware removal surgery is only about 30 minutes, I get to go home the same day, and can start walking on it the next day!

So, if you’re reading this and are early in the recovery process, stay positive as it will go by quicker than you think, and you won’t be out of the saddle all that long. Promise! :wink:

2 Likes

As an update: I am now 15 weeks out from my accident and was just cleared to get back on again yesterday. I’m now walking without any sort of brace/assistive device and, for the most part, it’s fine. Two of the bones in my ankle “locked” (talus and navicular, or all things!) during the time it was in the cast/immobilized and that was really causing me issues when walking, but I had my chiropractor adjust the area and now that they are unlocked, walking is much less painful.

I second the knee scooter suggestion! Crutches, IMO, are bad for the rest of your body at best and dangerous at worst.

My plan re: the hardware (two plates and a bunch of screws) is to leave it in and see how it goes. My surgeon wants it in for at least a year and I figure that that time will give me a chance to get through a full season of fox hunting and figure out just how much (if any) an issue it might be in my boots. If it’s a problem…maybe I’ll get it removed, or maybe I will just get new boots made. :slight_smile:

Staying positive is also good advice. I will fully admit that during the 10 days between my accident and my surgery, I was miserable–and not just because of the pain. It’s hard to see out of a situation like that–when you’ve just done major damage to your body and you know it’s going to be a LONG time before life is normal again. I remember feeling like I was never going to get better, never going to be able to ride, never going to be able to return to hunting…it was bleak. 3 months seemed like forever. In hindsight, it actually went by fairly quickly, all things considered. Once the surgery was over, I could focus on healing, rather than on feeling like my life was over.

My husband and I actually set milestones to make the time seem less endless. In 7 days, you go for a followup. In 7 more, the staples come out. After the next set of xrays, you can go to the barn. Two weeks after that you start PT, etc. Having something to mark progress with was very helpful.

1 Like

@ecileh It sounds like you’re making great progress, which is awesome!! I go in for my hardware removal in just 6 hours from now and am a nervous wreck, but I think (hope) I’m making the right choice for me. But, if yours isn’t causing you any trouble, why go through another stressful surgery?! I’ll try to remember to report back how the surgery goes in the morning and, once I start riding again, whether I can feel any difference in mobility.

Keep on killing it like it sounds like you already are!!

1 Like

@chudy512 , good luck with your surgery!

1 Like

@chudy512 I would be tempted to screw it into the side of my wooden brush box…or tack trunk. :slight_smile:

Congrats on your easy day in the OR…here’s to a swift recovery!

@ecoleh thank you, and things are going great so far! I didn’t even have to start on my pain pills until last night, but I am definitely needing them today!

And, I totally agree with adding the hardware to my tack trunk somehow. My brother-in-law built the trunk and I’m sure he’d have a blast finding a way to incorporate the hardware.

I do hope your recovery is going well! Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the hardware removal, or anything else ankle ORIF related. I’m clearly no expert and have been just trying to go with the flow, but I’m happy to fill you in on any additional tips I may have or answer any questions I can.

Hang in there - it’ll all be a distant memory before you know it!

I broke my tibia and fibula at a horse show in September of 2015. Unfortunately for me, I had to wait 10 days for the ORIF surgery (it took that long to find a surgeon and schedule surgery when I returned from the show), so my non-weight bearing period was a little longer. I had the surgery (two screws on one side and a plate and six screws on the other) plus an allograft for the wound (one was an open fracture) October 1 of 2015 and was non weight bearing for about 6 weeks, then in a boot for another 6 weeks. I agree with Chuddy512 who said the most painful was getting the foot muscles and ligaments back. My leg and foot really did atrophy and did physical therapy (plus extra exercise bike) I also did chiropractic because my hip was out from the crutches and scooter. I continued to have some issues, so I had the hardware removed on May 8 of 2016, a little over 7 months after the original surgery. I was able to start riding about two weeks after the hardware was removed. My horse had surgery also (she fractured the tip of her coffin bone in one foot during the original injury and the chip fracture was removed) and had been in a rehab facility and we rehabbed together. We were fit enough to start back the road to training (dressage–I showed grand prix before the accident) in September of 2016 (a year after the accident). I had issues regarding straightness in the saddle, putting weight in the stirrup, etc., but eventually felt I straightened out through riding without stirrups. I believe it took about a year (until September of 2017) for both of us to reach our previous level of performance. Unfortunately for me, I continued to have issues and had an MRI in August of 2017, that revealed a complex perineal tendon tear. I finished the show season, finished my gold medal, and then had surgery to replace the tendon and tighten the ligaments, clean up the scarring and clean out the joint, on November 22. One months later, I am fully weight bearing and plan to get on my horse this weekend. Of the three surgeries, the original ORIF was the hardest recovery and I think the hardware removal was the easiest. Amazon is your friend, for stuff like a knee walker but also for an Even-up shoe when you are in the walking boot (it attaches to your other shoe to even you out), and other stuff. I bought a second boot, identical to the $800 one that the surgeon gave me, on Amazon for $29 so I have one for the barn and one for work! I think once you’ve had the surgery, it is uphill from there. PT is really important, however I have had three different physical therapists and find the current one is far superior to the other two, so that you should shop around a bit. The one I have now actually does therapy in addition to exercises (I get a heat wrap before, then massage of the lower leg, then warmup exercises, then supervised exercises that I will do at home, then magna wave or some other electrical stimulation and then ice. It makes a difference! I did PT at least twice if not 3 times a week. I also used my horse’s cold laser (helped a ton with the pain and stiffness), used a moist heat heating pad, epsom soaks, ice wraps (McKinnon makes a great ankle wrap). A major issue, for me, has been the swelling because that causes the stiffness, lack of mobility of the joint and pain. It is really important to elevate your ankle as high as you can for as long as you can to get the swelling out.

1 Like

Just curious how did everything go after your hardware removal??

It went very well, actually. Totally fixed the issues I was having while riding and was a relatively short recovery!

1 Like