Unlimited access >

Orogin aka Oroquin-10

Has anyone used this? Would you share your experience?

I’m looking for;

• duration of treatment
  • horse’s toleration of it
  • relapse
  • ongoing low dose and if so why
  • anything else you think I should know :winkgrin:

I’m not looking to stir a boiling pot (yes, I’ve seen the posts from a couple years back :eek:), just constructive information from someone that has used the product - no drama please. :no:

Thank you in advance! :smiley:

I prefer IV diclazuril (not approved in this formulation) for 5 days before starting Orogin (or in conjunction with). Good luck with your horse!

thanks for the reply!

I’d seen a bit on the Diclazuril as well, can you tell me why you chose it?

Do you remember the dosage?

I’m assuming this method worked for the horse. :slight_smile: How long has it been? (Looking on time frame without relapse.)

Thank you so much for your info!

My guy did orquin 10. He was treated with Marquis and sulfa cocktail years previous with not much luck. The o10 worked great for him. It was about 2 years ago now so can’t remember specific treatment now. But he has been great since treatment. Much more than with other treatments. He is retired because of arthritis issues but if he wasn’t I could ride him again when before he was just unsafe to ride. He was on a longer dose of levisolme because he had the highest numbers on the bw for inflammation they had seen at that point (I believe it’s a crp test) but his are 0 now when they were 36 and should be 0 to 4 or 5 can’t remember off hand. Getting this number down I believe was the biggest help for him and they think he had swelling in his brain at 36 which caused more issues. So when we got to 0 he has been great.

Hi, Steelsidedown.

I just saw your post about this. My mare was on Oroquin-10 for a treatment of EPM relapse and responded well to it. I documented her response to Oroquin with videos and almost daily blog posts chronicling her responses. The account of her EPM episode is here: http://ceffyl.net/wordpress/horses/isis-2011-epm-episode-guide-to-posts/

Ceffyl

Ceffyl, thank you so much for sharing Isis’ story, and condolences on her loss. My mare Honey was treated with the Oroquin and follow up Levamisole in Summer of 2013. She improved greatly, but in February of this year, started having seizures. The Vet and I believed that there was either too much residual neuro damage for a full recovery, or that in hitting her head against the wall in one of her episodes, she sustained new neurological damage from the blow to the head. She had a large hematoma above her eye, is how we knew she had hit her head. She too was euthanatized when it became apparent that it was the right and necessary thing to do.

We used Oroquin 10 and levamisole on our EPM gelding. He did a single course and then had to be re-treated with levamisole only for a ‘relapse’ a few months after the original treatment. He tolerated the treatment very well and has had a full recovery. We saved a ton of money using this treatment regimen and got a great outcome. We supplemented vitamin E for about a month after the relapse treatment, but I don’t perceive any benefit from that.

I am on day 6 of the treatment right now. We caught my mare early, she scored
1 1/2 on the Mayhew scale. I have already seen a huge improvement in her. We will recheck her titers 10 days post treatment.
This is the best site I found for information. http://www.epmhorse.org/default.html
Click on all the tabs at the top and there are pages and pages of information.
I am also using Vitamin E and Folic acid supplement like LisaO, can’t hurt and if it helps it will be worth it.

I’m starting my guy on this in a few days, hopefully it works.

Starting my horse in a day or so when the meds arrive. Can someone tell me how well horses tolerate the meds? Can it be mixed with feed? Thanks!

Meds should arrive tomorrow!

we just melted the pills in water and added to the feed

You could put the pill in a soft horse cookie or Pill Camo. :yes:

I was going to try the Oroquin, but two vets from two different practices advised against it. They were both very open to a new treatment, but after reviewing the literature and consulting with several other vets, they both said it was not something they could recommend. We started my horse started on Marquis last week.

Oh well, I feel that way about Marquis…I do hope it helps your horse though!

Day 1 of the Orquin given today, the pills are huge and smell.

How did you make out with this treatment.

It did not help my boy but I am not at all sure he had EPM – it may have been cervical degeneration, I never had him tested, just tried the treatment.

He was 28 when his unsteadiness really put him at risk for falling, and the barn did not have anyone monitoring the place except for feedings, didn’t want to risk him falling alone. So in Dec. '15 I made the tough decision.

Thanks for your response. They no longer provide the medication without blood test. My horse did not improve on it but is stable now.