OrthoVisc Injections?

I am a candidate for a left knee replacement. I have bone spurs on the outside, inside and under my knee cap. It is almost bone on bone with moderate osteo-arthritis. :frowning:

Because I would like to finish this showing season, the Doc is willing to let me try OrthoVisc injections first. There will be an injection per week for three weeks.

Is anybody familiar with OrthoVisc? Did it give you some relief?

I am getting the first one tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions to help me through the first one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :yes:

OK. Since nobody posted, I will answer my own questions.

The first injection only stung a bit. There was immediate relief. There was so much relief that I could feel more stiffness and discomfort in my right knee, than left.

I did not have any pain while sitting in the car for the 45 minute drive home, either.

Yay! :smiley:

I cannot wait for the next two weeks to get the injections. :yes:

The next test will be to see if I can sleep through the night, without getting up every two hours to stretch/slather my left leg down with BioFreeze.

So how is it today? I got my knee injected with cortizone and am going back in a couple of weeks to get Synvisc. NOT looking forward to it but if it provides any relief from my bone on bone OA I am game!

Today, I rode without a knee brace for the first time in about four months. My knee was fine. :smiley:

I was not a candidate for cortisone injections, because I am highly allergic to it.

Dr. Rolf, who is my Ortho Doc at Beacon Orthopedic in Cincinnati, OH, said that he is seeing the best results with the OrthoVisc brand.

Now, I am hoping that Dr. Rolf can find a fix for the huge bone spur in my right hip, which I got while compensating for the pain in my left knee. If so, then I will be ready to rock and roll. If it is not one thing, it is twenty. :wink:

Synvisc

I’ve had Synvisc injections every 6 months for the past 5 years. They work. Still have my knee with no further deterioration of the joint. (PS severe traumatic arthritis in the left knee.)

In my orthopedic surgery practice we administer a fair amount of OrthoVisc. The response is mixed, but many patients report relief, as you have. For many patients the Orthovisc series enables them to forestall a total knee arthoplasty, which is a good thing. For others, the only solution to their pain and suffering is a TKA.

The good news for those of you who are candidates for total hip or knee arthroplasties is that the success of the surgery, as measured by return to normal activities without pain, is phenomenal! Many patients bemoan the fact that they put it off as long as they did.

Try the OrthoVisc. I’ve never heard a single patient scream yet! Best of luck!

Just don’t search for Youtube videos lol

Four years ago I was diagnosed as bone on bone in my L knee. I was in extreme pain and my knee was huge and hot. I had not heard good things about returning to jumping after TKR and the rehab time seemed extreme so my ortho suggested a three shot series of Synvisc.
Since one of my old campaigners regularly received hock injections that kept him in work I said sign me up. By the third week I was almost pain free and riding again. The first series lasted 3 months, the second series lasted 4 months and these days a series lasts about 8 months. Once the knee was no longer swollen and hot, the doc had me start some knee exercises to help support it. He says that why the shots now last so long.
My only experience is with Synvisc but OrthoVisc sounds similar.
Good luck.

My second injection was given by a different person. My Doc was on vacation, so another Doc in the practice did it.

She told me that this one would hurt. It did. She told me that I would be much more uncomfortable, afterward. I still am, almost to the point of what I felt before the first shot. :frowning:

I had been riding without my brace. Now, I feel like I will need to use it again.

Does anyone know why the second injection would make the pain worse again?

What was your experience with the 3rd injection?

So does it feel better now?
I had my second Synvisc injection last week and will have the third tomorrow. It has been my experience with Synvisc. that the first injection makes the knee hot and swollen, the second less so and the third even less so. By the fourth week I have forgotten that my knee hurt unless I have to stand for a long time, carry bags of feed or ride for a long time.
Here’s hoping it was only temporary pain. Good luck.

Piney Woods,

I got my third injection yesterday. The difference is amazing. The PA gave the first and last injection. He is the bomb! Unlike the 2nd injection, when the substitute Ortho Doc gave it and left a bruise, Lee (PA extroidinaire) gave the injection and today my knee is feeling great. Yay! :slight_smile:

I plan to resume my riding tomorrow, sans brace.

I hope that your last injection went well, too.