Unlimited access >

Osphos caused my horse to go into acute kidney failure

My horse has been hospitalized for 5 days. Anyone have positive outcomes after dealing with acute kidney failure? His creatinine is lowering, he’s eating,drinking, peeing. Although his urine is still pigmented. Vets can’t tell me long term prognosis because it was the Osphos that caused his issues and their isn’t much literature for them to go on.

As I recall, @PNWjumper had this happen. I believe you can find her thread about it around here somewhere or she may see this and respond.

It has long been recognized in humans that all forms of bisphosphonates can cause kidney issues as it is cleared through the kidneys.

In patients with renal compromise dosages must be reduced and infusion times extended.

I have always had an issue with the use of bisphosphonates ever since we researched them for NASA to see about preserving bone for astronauts on orbit.

I would advise anybody looking at this treatment have the kidney function of their horse checked prior to administration, just like is considered in humans.

Tell your vets to read the human literature, at least. This issue has been known for decades. Many forms of bisphosphonates are toxic to kidneys.

8 Likes

We did a blood test before administering the Osphos. Everything was perfect. It’s heartbreaking

1 Like

Jingles

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your horse. My horse had a reaction to what we think was OSPHOS last spring. He may have had ulcers already, and the OSPHOS injection may have pushed his body too far. I am not 100% certain as he had shockwave at the same time. All I know is that he was incredibly fractious 24 hours after the treatment, and a wreck during rehab. His blood was recently tested as part of a rescope for ulcers, and he is slightly anemic, but otherwise very healthy. I am hoping your horse continues to heal given the kidneys were healthy pre-injection and with the added hospital support. Keep us posted. Hugs to you and yours.

Jingles!!!

So sorry to read this. Jingles for a full recovery.

What a nightmare. Jingles for your boy!