Osteo-Arthritis & daily pain

Does anyone else have to deal with the pain of Osteoarthritis on a daily basis? If so, what do you do and how do you cope?

My hands are the worse, I also have pain in my sciatic area and low back and neck along with lovely, wonderful migraines…

But, waking up with my hands hurting so bad my fingers feel like they are going to break if I move them is the worst…

Any tips or ideas?

Ibuprophen (sp), Aleve, Tylenol…Tried them and no relief, I also take fish oil and Choronotin (sp) Sulfates and Glucosamine daily…

Your post could have been written by me. Yup, my fingers are a mess, and they are so distorted I call them my Halloween Hands. I’ve had sciatic pain for years, as well.

I’ve had many root blocks and facet injections. They can be quite successful for a reasonable period of time, but do wear off. I had been on Voltarol (diclofenic) for many, many years but had to come off about 2 months ago because of possible heart irregularities. Since I’ve stopped taking the drug, my cardiac problems are gone. Nothing else seems to touch the pain. I’m now on Naprosen, tramadol, and paracetamol (like Tylenol) and I might as well be taking sugar pills. I’ll be seeing my rheumatologist next week, so I’ll keep you posted.

Me, too.

Right now a combination of these things seems to be working for me:

1. Zyflamend http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend/zyflamend-whole-body

2. DL-phenylalanine http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1101&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=80-100&keyword=VS-1101&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping--Product+Listing+Ads--80-100-_-VS-1101&gclid=COKJkLu6ibgCFdOe4AodqUoALQ#.Uc7tJztJMfU

3. Penetrex http://www.penetrex.com/

Glucosamine & Chondroitin did nothing for me. The Orthpaedic doctor who replaced my hip laughed when I told him that I had been taking it.

I was taking ibuprofen (2400 mgs per day) and then nambumetone (relafen) but I stopped after I got an ulcer from taking prednisone after an allergic reaction. I found out that those NSAIDs really weren’t helping as much as I thought. Now occasionally I pop an arthritis strength tylenol, when I have flare ups, but otherwise, just Zyflamend, dl-phenylalanine and Penetrex which is the best daily combination that I have found.

I have spinal stenosis and have gone the epidural injection route, but don’t want to do it any more than I have to.

I take two prescriptions drugs - diclofenac, which is an NSAID, and tramadol which is a pain reliever.

The tramadol can be prescribed in combo with Tylenol or ibuprofen, which makes it more effective, or you can supplement on your own - carefully, as there are limits my doctor does not want me to exceed.

Chondrotin and glucosamine didn’t help me either, I suspect my arthritis was to far advanced for it to help. Other than that, I swim and try to keep moving.

I have had multiple surgeries on both knees and one ankle, including one total knee replacement, and periodically have cortisone shots in the one replaced knee and the bad ankle.

Right at this moment, I am in a good place, with the right balance of exercise, movement and riding, and minimal medication, and I am really enjoying it. When things are not in balance, it gets pretty bad pretty fast - can’t sleep, not much quality of life, and need Vicodin and Percocet to manage the pain.

This is a great idea for a thread, I am looking forward to what others have to say.

Have you looked into/tried Gallium Nitrate? A client sent me info on it as it is supposed to help horses with Navicular, but apparently a “side effect” what that it helped the horse’s owners with Osteoarthritis that were also soaking their hands in the stuff.

I had bad pain in my fingers which felt like being stuck by a million little pins. I was also getting nodules on the joints of my fingers. I started taking liquid glucosamine/chondroitin, evening primrose oil softgels, fish oil softgels, and tumeric capsules. This worked for me and got rid of all my pain. Even more surprising, about a year ago, I went on a trip to France and did not take these supplements because it seemed like too much trouble to lug them all around. I did not hurt once on that trip, nor for months after I returned. It makes me wonder about the food in the US. I do think the foods are processed differently here and in Europe, and perhaps something in the foods here stir up the inflammatory process in the body.

Sorry I haven’t replied in a while! but life has been very busy here! I work FT and go to school 3/4 time :eek: Yes I need my head examined. But that’s another topic. :slight_smile:

I also take Tramadol and 800 Mg ibuprophin for pain. I am allergic to codine as well as hydocodine so can’t take either of those for pain.

I am trying to eat more natural foods, ie veggies, chicken, fish, etc. I eat very little that is processed anymore.

I have osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis. Take sulvazine (sp) and RA doc started me on enbrel. It is alot better in my hands and fingers.

jumping in on this thread as I’ve not been officially diagnosed with OA but had my left knee replaced a year and a half ago because I was bone on bone at age 43 and rapidly losing my quality of life. I’ve noticed my ankles, fingers and neck start to have similar symptoms in the past few years and I take ibuprofen throughout the week but it never really goes away. Do you find that diet and exercise play a major role in managing your OA in general and if so what do you avoid and what seems to help? Will be following along to learn more from all of you, thanks to the original poster for starting this thread!

Name the joint, and I have OA there. I have a great surgeon and a great sports medicine doctor. Everyone agrees that the goal is that I do not hurt enough to keep me from doing what I want to do. I used to take diclofenac daily, then switched to mobic. Right now, I’m trying a vacation from the mobic, and so far, so good. There’s things I can do, things I can’t, and some days are worse than others. I also have hydrocodone for times when I’ll be up and active and need to be able to go all day — hardly ever take it, but it’s nice to have as a backup. It takes a lot of experimentation to find just what will work for you. Exercise (whether it’s mowing the grass or lifting weights or walking or cleaning stalls) to a point, but you need to figure out that point where doing more makes the pain worse. I’ve had 4 knee replacements (I’m anatomically gifted), 2 shoulder surgeries, and 2 wrist surgeries — all for OA. Good docs who don’t just say NO are critical to dealing with it.

I have a really arthritic knee so I take Advil or Aleve first thing in the morning just to get moving. In the afternoon when those start to wear off I have been taking a nifty little product called Curamin. Dang if that doesn’t give me as much or more relieve than the NSAIDS.

[QUOTE=lucky dog farm;7117318]
I have a really arthritic knee so I take Advil or Aleve first thing in the morning just to get moving. In the afternoon when those start to wear off I have been taking a nifty little product called Curamin. Dang if that doesn’t give me as much or more relieve than the NSAIDS.[/QUOTE]

That’s really interesting, lucky dog. I take Zyflamend (basically a tumeric supplement) and DL-Phenylalanine every day. I looked at the ingredients of Curamin and it looks like a combination of those two ingredients–and the tumeric may be in a more bioavailable form. This Curamin might be more economical (and maybe even more effective) for me than taking both supplements every day. I wish that the Curamin website stated what the amount of DL-Phenylalanine is in each capsule. Does it say on the bottle?

Also is Curamin the sort of thing that you can take as needed? Or do you need to take it continuously for a certain period before it has any effect? I’d appreciate any more information that you have. Thanks.

Wanted to add this for general info -

I have been struggling with knee pain in my replaced knee on and off for years, since 10 months after the surgery. Finally had it diagnosed correctly as pes anserine bursitis. (If you Google that, you’ll discover middle-aged, overweight women with a history of arthritis and recent changes in activity level are most prone to it - I’m sure they’ll be adding my photo soon.)

I caused this painful and limiting problem myself - I took the doctors, PTs and literature a bit too much to heart, and was doing tons of quad and hamstring strengthening exercises to support my knees, so much so that I overtightened the hamstring and gave myself bursitis.

So I’ve backed off on the exercises some and made sure that I do as much stretching as I do strength work, and the bursitis has disappeared and my knees are better than they’re been in years.

Prolozone maybe?

I’m looking into Prolozone, a kinder-gentler from of prolotherapy.

Unfortunately, no one in my state offers it, though at least next door/over the border…

I’ll report in if/when I go through with it.

Electric horseman,
I only take the Curamin when I need it. The bottle says to take three tablets but a lot of the time I only take one or two, wait a 1/2 hour or so and whalaa! I just don’t want to load up on more NSAIDS if I can help it. I figure I take enough of that stuff. This is the only supplement I have tried that actually works on my nasty knee pain.

Sorry but it doesn’t say how much DLPA is in each capsule. Maybe you could call the company to find out. I personally love the stuff. Could you possible buy a bottle and see if it helps you. I see you live in Mass, as do I, if you are anywhere near me I’m happy to give you a few. I live near concord mass. Pm if you want to

McGurk,
How was it to get your knee replaced? I’m scheduled to have it done the end of this month and am curious about your experiences with it. Thanks

Thanks, lucky dog farm. I am up on the North Shore, so really not close, but thanks so much for the offer. I will definitely try the Curamin. Do you get it online or does some place like Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods have it?

Lucky dog,

The knee replacement itself was a piece of cake. I had mine done under a spinal block, which was wonderful. PT wasn’t bad, the home care PT discharged me to out patient PT early because the home care was tired of chasing me down outside to come in and do the PT. I was riding within 4 weeks and back to work in 6 weeks.

At 10 months out, I started to have problems with what I now know was bursitis, and the next three years were up and down as I struggled with swelling, disability and pain. I had fluid drawn off it a couple of times, and had it scoped to remove scar tissue, went back to PT twice, and I don’t what all to try to manage it.

Looking back, the diagnosis of bursitis seems obvious. Once I decreased the strengthening exercises and added the stretching, my knee went back to trouble free.

Electric horseman,
I get mine from Deb’s natural health store in west Concord and I make the Hubs go get it since he gets the senior discount. :). Most of the other people I have told about it order it online. It’s not cheap but I figure even if it gives me temporary relief without taking the nasty NSAIDS, I’m doing well. Let me know what you think of it.

McGurk,
You are my hero and I hope my knee replacement goes as easily as yours did! It seems if you talk to 100 people most will tell you how awful it all was. Very refreshing to have someone say otherwise. Can I just say I’m NOT looking forward to it

Lucky dog,

I was pretty miserable before I had mine done. Cortisone was only giving me weeks of relief, not months, I was walking with a cane, taking the max and more on the NSAIDs and pain meds, taking hydro
condone for break thru pain, planning my day around trips up and down stairs, and occasionally going down stairs on my butt like a toddler because walking down was so painful. AND my ortho didn’t really want to do it at all because of my age (51 at the time of the replacement.)

I was what is referred to as a highly motivated patient. :slight_smile:

I do have some lingering bitterness that no medical professional anywhere, at anytime, in the three years the replacement wasn’t working, ever looked at my chart and the notes and wondered ,“I wonder if this lady is SO highly motivated that she is overdoing everything to the point she’s creating more problems.” But, hey, it’s better now, and I just got back from a two hour pain free ride.

I wish the same for you!

McGurk,

VERY JEALOUS that you just got back from riding!! I’m in the same pickle you were. TONS of Advil/Aleve , Tramadol for pain ,although the Curamin does allow me not to take anywhere near as much. Not riding and not walking my dogs or my boarders. Need to lean on the carriage when I go grocery shopping. Yada ya da. I’m only 52 and I am going in on August 26 th to have it done.

My big problem has been not being able to take any pain meds for two months. My surgeon wanted me off any and all pain meds for that long. Oh ya… That’s been a real joy especially when I have six horses and a plethora of dogs, so my job is a pretty physical one.

Sucks when doctors don’t take into account what kind of person you are. I, like you, am a VERY motivated person, so its good to know what to lay off.

May I ask where you got yours done?