Unlimited access >

OTTB as First Horse

Thank you everyone! Not sure how to delete a post so

Congratulations and how exciting!
Do you value your trainers opinion and if so, what did they say? Are you in love because of the way she looks alone or are you willing to objectively evaluate her temperament, movement and suitability for the job you’re asking her to do?

A great trainer can help you understand the perfect match for your ability and personality type. They can sometimes deliver the unwelcome bad news that you’re not compatible. Be prepared to listen and you’ll get a match.

Its fun to fall in love with shopping for horses, you should consult your trainer about pursuing her further with an open mind and someone’s more experienced eye and you’ll do well.

Your enthusiasm will guide you to something special!

I would caution you not to fall in love with photos. You need a functional horse with a good temperment much more than you need a pretty one. If you are going to shop at the track, go into it with your eyes open.

Take someone with you who has shopped at the track before. Talk with your vet before you go to decide what health issues you can live with. Plan to vet more than one horse before finding one that is acceptable to you.

Understand that if you buy a horse you have never ridden, you can’t guarantee you will be able to ride it. My #1 advice for first time horse purchasers (and all amateurs and juniors) is to buy a horse you can ride NOW (not a horse you think you can learn to ride). If you buy a horse you can’t ride now, you need to accept going in that it may not work and you may need to sell the horse in a year.

Accept that it may be weeks, months, or more before you actually get to ride the horse. Some horses are managed well, have no issues, and settle in to a new life fast. Others take 6 months or more.

Accept that you may spend more than the purchase price in the first week - between the PPE, shoeing, chiropractor, Gastroguard, and whatever else needs work - it adds up fast.

Have a plan (and a budget) in mind in case you end up in over your head. I can think of many OTTB’s that could easily be brought along by someone with four years of daily riding experience. I can also think of some that needed daily pro rides for a month or more.

Make sure your trainer is on board with your plan. He or she will be vital to your success as a pair.