Unlimited access >

OTTB pedigree and conformation critique

Edited- Got enough info on him. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

When I recently went OTTB shopping with my trainer I was advised to be careful of Storm Cat being too close in the pedigree. I am also an ammy on my 2nd ottb so not exactly super experienced. I did note that Deisis never ran. Usually I equate lots of european blood with long distance grass horses, so you may want to look at some of the past performances on his Dam’s side.

That’s a good looking horse. Nothing in his pedigree up close is super impressive. Nice having the Minstrel somewhat close. But it really doesn’t matter as he is a gelding.

He is a storm cat grandson and some people do not like them…they tend to be very athletic and smart but not the most forgiving. That said, to me, I really don’t care. I’ve known some really good ones and he is far enough back in the pedigree that I wouldn’t worry about it.

I care much more what he looks like than his pedigree. And he is a good looking horse. Built up hill and very balanced looking–he looks like an athlete. If he is sound…he is certainly a nice type to take a chance on.

Actually, Diesis was a highly-regarded champion 2 YO in England, but I believe was injured early in his 3 YO year.

I love the pictures! Have you bought him yet?

Totally my type of horse. What kind of brain does he seem to have. I’m one who doesn’t often go for the Storm Cat grandkids, but could probably be convinced to make an exception for a horse with these looks, unless he was known to be difficult.

[QUOTE=kcmel;7423362]
Actually, Diesis was a highly-regarded champion 2 YO in England, but I believe was injured early in his 3 YO year.

I love the pictures! Have you bought him yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I’d not heard of him from a sport horse perspective (yet).

He looks really impressive. If he were a few inches taller I’d scoop him up. Now that you’ve posted him, I’d act fast. It wasn’t that hard to find his sale page.

I have a Storm Cat grandson and adore him. He’s not the horse for everyone though. He’s dominant, full of energy and can be anxious. In regular work he settles nicely and he’s got a ton of heart and is frightfully intelligent.

There’s 7/8ths more to that pedigree than Storm Cat.

Diesis is the damsire of a 2* horse in Australia. Sire of Halling xx who is the sire of a German approved TB stallion named Duke of Hearts, and sire of Husband who is the sire of Martha McDowell’s Gaelic Marriage. Duke of Hearts has a few cross bred jumpers at the L and M levels and one L1 level dressage horse.

IIRC, he’s the full brother of Keen and Kris, both stallions. Sharpen Up is an decent sport horse line, but the brothers aren’t the most highly productive for sport.