Unlimited access >

OTTBs that are freshly off the track and new careers

So general question. I have brought along several OTTBs. Most have been 10+ years in age either due to long let down periods or they raced that long with let down, but in 2019 I got my first 3yo to bring along. He is going amazingly well. A bucket list item of mine is RRP, and my 2019 boy mentally and physically just wasn’t up to the challenge. But I recently came across another that “speaks” to me and I really like.

When I got my first 3yo, he came to me 4 months post track. His video was a 18 days after the track and he was somewhat hocky but again pretty fresh off the track with his plates on. I took the chance and its a once in a lifetime horse. I just took my time he had growing to do and we just entered the 1.0m height 3 years later.

The new guy is a newly turned 4yo, 2 weeks post track, plates still on and hocky as well. He has an overall very balanced way of going, still has some growing to do and of course needs some let down time to let his body adjust and become unstressed/unsore.

That being said, I’ve also had many people, reputable, that said to stay away, he’s hocky and could have all kinds of issues in his hind end. My personal feeling is that he needs some let down time to truly assess if that’s the case.

What are your thoughts on OTTBs and the hockiness that seems to show somewhat fresh off the track as future hunter/jumpers?

It’s really anyone’s guess whether that hockiness/trackiness you are seeing is from overall body soreness or from an acute injury. Only a PPE will tell you. Most horses that raced come off their career ‘hot’ in their hind end. Their SI and heels are usually sore. Their workload, stall time, and shoeing all play a part. Untangling each of these soundness knots by giving them as much turnout as possible, corrective farrier work, and even a month or so of Robaxin will help them jumpstart their new career.

9 Likes

Thats kind of what I figured myself seeing the ones get adopted and what they turn out to be later down the road. My plan for this guy is to give him several months to just be. I plan on pulling shoes and getting his feet squared away, give him time to grow and learn to be a horse. I will be giving him PEMF sessions weekly right away to help with soreness and DMG in his feed. Once he’s had the time off reassess what he is then as that would be a better time to give him a fair assessment.

Its just been interesting that those I reached out to on their opinion that are more TB people think with let down and corrective shoeing he will be quite the lovely mover and nice horse. Those that haven’t are very worried about early movement as a solid indication he has issues, I just feel its not fair to judge that now.

4 Likes

Judge the canter, ignore the trot.

15 Likes

@cswoodlandfairy I’ll take that boy off your hands :wink:

Can’t wait to see him in a few months after your good rehab.

2 Likes

Haha, I will definitely share! I am really excited about him!!

1 Like

Bingo. My current one came very, very tight and sore (trimmed way too short :woman_facepalming:) but a brief clip of him cantering free was enough to sell me on him.

Pull the plates—it will give his tendons a rest even if it means their feet are sore for a bit. Mine’s been getting loads of T/O, a few Robaxin smoothies, Keratex painted on his sole, and Reducine on the coronet band to grow out his poor feet.

2 Likes

For right off the track, I judge the walk more than the canter but yeah ignore the trot to start for more than even cadence.

Things I’ve learned

• they’re heel sore all the way around. Look carefully at the hind feet. If the hind hoof wall has a visible slight bulge to it then they likely have a tall front wall and negative palmar angle happening even though there’s heel. Both of mine came off the track with it. It puts extra strain in the hind ligaments and contributes to the tracky movement. My mare almost looked clubby in hind with it and she isn’t. (I see the same thing in the majority of OTTB photos, its a common issue)
  • the hoof wall is typically fairly fragile in the beginning from the running forces and the high sugars in the typical diet. It takes a year to grow out a new foot but you can get really good results from that point.
  • The more you make everything adrenaline free in training, the better the result.
  • Acting up is going to happen going right, and sometimes they forget how to turn that way, especially without the support of the rail. Definitely happens most when longing. All business to the left, though more likely to get quick
  • Once they settle and learn to horse? They can be the sweetest and most honest souls ever. My chestnut gelding is a labrador retriever in a horse suit.
6 Likes

@Jealoushe I feel like you might have insight into this topic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmm I hadn’t thought of it like that. Mine does that, though it’s getting better as we figure out her flatwork.

Right? My two have opposite reactions. The gelding stops when uncertain, so he would just slow down/stop. The mare (his dam-sister) gets quick. The number of times she’s zoomed off going right when there’s no rail with me calling out “You’re not on fire Ricky Bobby”?!

I have multiple friends with OTTBs and they all find the exact same thing.

This made me laugh. My current gelding does the confused “stop and ponder,” but my mares definitely haven’t been as considerate.

2 Likes

What do you mean “hocky”?

What looks like stringhalt?