Unlimited access >

Our Cactuskate donation to charity

I vote for 50/50, too. United Pegasus also purchases foals from the PMU auctions – a new life beginning, perhaps?

I was just reading the article about how the Horses In The Hood and how they were doing, as I admit I have not read much on it since Kathy Kusner suggested it.
I think a 50/50 to Horses In The Hood would be fabulous.

I vote for donating it to what Kathy’s family has chosen.

Superheroes of the universe, unite!

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

is indeed a racing TB based charitable organization. The founders of UPF and the founders of NYHR are friends, that’s how I became familiar with UPF.

Here’s the site: UPF

=^+^=

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Like the 50/50 idea as well.

But another suggestion regard the horsey one:

While in Kentucky last week, I read about the Horse Parks Foundation that runs a drill team for the inner city kids. I was very impressed with the story and the success of the children that have participated.

Can’t help put think that money could buy another mustang (that is the only “type” used by the kids)

A form of rescue in it’s own way. Saving a horse from the wild and a child.

Just another suggestion.

There is a very large and well respected theraputic riding program here in the Phoenix area called Horses Help. They have been around for years and always need donations.

Donate it to the Hospice.

OK, folks… the contributions are (mostly) tallied, and Lisamarie is hard at work on our ad.

In total, I think we have collected somewhere around $2400-2500. The ad will cost about $1350. That leaves us with at least $1K (!!!) to donate to a charity in Kathy’s name.

The charity her family had mentioned to me was the Hospice of Yuma (Ariz.). Or, we could decide on a different charity, like the American Cancer Society, an equine rescue group, or something like that.

So… we need suggestions! Lisamarie wants to put our decision in the ad.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(BTW, for those who missed this round of threads… Cactuskate was a frequent contributor here who died of cancer last month. COTH BB’ers chipped in all this money to memorialize her in an ad in the COTH, and also to make a donation to charity.)

Hospice for me too! If a horse rescue charity is chosen I think it would be best to find one in her area. Even a local humane society needs help in dealing with livestock rescue.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Another vote for the 50/50 idea. Does the COTH Rescue horse need any additional funds to help offset the surgery he had? Just a thought and my .02.

Member of the VA/DC/MD clique.

Yes, Ms. Kusner has a very worthy project. I believe that someone earlier posted a reference to another like program in the southeast.

If you feel the family is in agreement, then I vote Horses in the Hood as well as the local hospice.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

My vote would be for Hospice.

I do love the idea of a 50/50 split, but if I am reading between the lines correctly…I think the family would want it to go to Hospice.

I think that if her family wants us to donate to the Hospice of Yuma, then that is what we should do.

Hospices do wonderful work, and certainly deserve to be supported.

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle

I’m for the 50/50 too. Thanks, Erin!

Another vote for the 50/50 idea.

It would be nice to find a rescue in her area, but it would also be nice to make this kind of donation to a well known and established organization, so the idea of it has a better chance of being remembered, publicized, and perhaps copied. Wouldn’t it be a nice trend to have started?

Horses In The Hood website

Horses In The Hood and the Hospice

Only because my non horsey family, if this were me, would say Hospice and my Animal Friends would say Horses In The Hood.

I had a hunting friend who passed away, and her family asked for donations to PETA, because they knew she was an animal lover.

I’m all for the Hospice donation…but we’re all also horse people…and so was Cactuskate. Perhaps a 50/50 split is a more fitting memorial? 1/2 to the Hospice and 1/2 to a horse rescue (like NYHR who would most likely be be very willing to name the rescued horse after her). That way, we would be recognizing the two parts of her life most of us shared…our common bond through horses and our growth through her illness.

Just a thought…

=^+^=

I just haven’t been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Any Arizona cliquers know of a rescue in that state?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
50/50 split is a great idea…Hospice and a Rescue…Erin do we know which Chronicle it will be in yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey All!

We’re shooting for the dressage issue on June 21st. Bill is working on the ad no and as soon as he has the laytout done I’m going to lasso Erin in to writing some copy for it We have to have it to COTH by June 7th.

I Dig the 50/50 idea as well

– Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.