Unlimited access >

Outdoor Arena Build

I’m in the process of spreading sand over fabric and was hoping someone might be able to share their experience and provide any recommendations possible.
Native soil, fabric, 5/8” gravel, level-best graded, rolled w/ 10 ton roller, fabric… Now I am ready to put the sand in, but worried about how to do this properly. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!

I used what I already owned. Distributed sand in small piles. Then spread out using a box blade (without scarifiers and taking care to not go too deep), and then using my arena groomer over and over and over to get smooth. Majority of the real work was the box blade, though.

If your box blade experience is limited, though, it is really not a job for someone on the learning curve of using a box blade.

I have watched the spreading being done with an excavator bucket sweeping back and forth, but my arsenal of equipment doesn’t include one of those.

I only have experience w a rolled and packed screenings base w sand on top. I would be worried about the 5/8 inch stone working up through the fabric and into your sand. I hope someone else has better information for you.

I would not add sand until I had a solid base to put the sand on.

You are going to get shifting from the rock below and cause your arena to be lumpy and never get the sand spread evenly.

Add a layer of limestone or bluestone and compact it. Then add your sand over it.

1 Like