Unlimited access >

Overreach shoe grabbing duct/electrical tape back of shoe protection method

I am searching for a visual aid (video or with pictures) on how to apply twisted tape to the heel/space between shoe and heel.

I’ve read a couple of descriptions from reiners on how they use this technique to prevent shoe grabbing and loss at shows.

I feel like i need to see this rather than attempting to twist the tape then haphazardly filing the gap.

Anyone have any experience for this method? Or maybe the most descriptive reply I don’t need visual aids?

I’m commenting to follow this, as I have a chronic heel-grabber. I watched my farrier do it once and it seemed so simple; she held the end of the tape, spun the roll a few times, wedged it in the gap above his shoe, wrapped a few times, and voila. Worked great, horse went ripping around on turn out and came back with both front shoes.

I tried it, even threw in a few extras, built it up as a padding of sorts, and I watched the beast throw both sets of bell boots as the foot-sized wad of high-end duct tape went rolling across the paddock. He came back without that shoe and it was so badly torqued, that it couldn’t be reset; it was a brand new shoe and he usually gets 3 resets out of them (if he doesn’t destroy them by pulling them).

I’m not sure this fun-loving man child will slow down any time soon, so I would love to know how to perfect this technique too.

The first one has pictures, but is way more involved than I remember, the last time I did this.

A farrier local to me posted a video on this, let me see if I can find it.

It looks like they’re making Grab Boots out of tape.

Jack’s Grab Boots | Dover Saddlery

Rubber Grab Boots | Horse Boots | Horse Protection Big Dee’s Horse Tack & Vet Supplies (bigdweb.com)

Which also gives me the idea to order some to try on my TB this summer.

Very common practice in the reining world. I’ve always known about the tape method, but found the “grab boots” shared above as something new I’ve learned! lol Had no idea they made something like that.

I’ve never used them, I just remembered seeing them in a multi-discipline/breed horse supply catalog years ago and have occasionally seen reference to them since then. I think they are mostly used with saddlebreds, but I am not sure about that.

1 Like

Hmm, I dont know. I grew up showing Saddlebreds and Morgans and I never saw them.

I tried some of those from Big D and didn’t like how they fit. I worried about them slipping up on his cornet band and rubbing. Mine is on 24/7 turn out so it’s not like he would just wear them for a short turn out, then have them removed when he comes in.

1 Like

They are made out of rubber and used often in road horses/ponies. If you put them in a bucket of hot water before putting on they stay on better. They mold to the hoof better.

Saddlebreds use over reach or bell boots instead not these type of boots.

I have a pair for my hackney pony when he would clip the back of his front heel when he would get rolling in his road trot.

1 Like