Pacemaker/defibrillator

Anyone else riding with one? I won’t get into my tales of woe yet just hoping I’m not the only one!!

Hhmm, maybe I am the only one.

I don’t know any horse people who have a pacemaker/defibrillator but we do have a regular :wink: friend who has one. He got it after a serious heart attack and has had it for a few years now. He is doing great! He is very active, always on the go - long hikes with his dog, plays golf all the time, deep sea fishing, etc., etc. The device has given him back a totally normal life and he has had absolutely no problems since getting it put in.

I don’t see any reason why you cannot continue your normal horse-life. What do your doctors have to say about it? Maybe if they are discouraging you might want to seek out a doctor who is also a horse-person (they would understand!). :slight_smile:

Doctors are encouraging me to pursue anything and everything I want to. The problem I am having is my doctor has told me my maximum heart rate can only be 140. Now a normal person my age its 185-190. When I first get on my horse and start that nice easy, long rein trot, my rate goes right up to like 142. Jumping, forget it.
Seriously, anyone with an active life style, 140 is unrealistic!

No defribillator, but restricted by a heart defect from any activity that runs the heart rate higher than an easy walk and on beta blockers to keep the heart rate low and steady.

You learn to manage, because you can feel the difference, when your heart starts acting up and/or you get dizzy if you overdo it.

As my doctor told me, be thankful you can do what you can do, don’t think about what you can’t do.:wink:

[QUOTE=Coobie;4921694]
Doctors are encouraging me to pursue anything and everything I want to. The problem I am having is my doctor has told me my maximum heart rate can only be 140. Now a normal person my age its 185-190. When I first get on my horse and start that nice easy, long rein trot, my rate goes right up to like 142. Jumping, forget it.
Seriously, anyone with an active life style, 140 is unrealistic![/QUOTE]

What is your current fitness level? If you are out of shape, your heart rate will go up faster and higher with exercise. But as you become more fit, you should find that you are able to do more intensive exercise while maintaining a lower heart rate. Also, if you are stressed about your heart rate while riding, just the stressing can raise your heart rate.

Lots of things to consider, but I’m sure as your fitness and level of anxiety improves, so will your ability to do the things you want to do while riding. Look on the postitive side - you’ve had the surgery, the pacemaker/defibrilator are in place and will do their job if/when ever needed. And you can ride and do whatever else you want. Those are all great things.

Talk to your doctor about a fitness program to improve your overall level of exercise endurance. And relax and give it time. How long ago was your surgery?

Hey, lucky me! Not only am I a Grade IV Para Rider after an incomplete spinal cord injury, but about 9 years ago I had to have a pacemaker inserted for tachy-brady syndrome. No one ever remembers (including me) that I have a rate responsive PM, except when it is really hot out and then I know I have a “cardiac” issue. I am truly not the same person in the heat.

I am very aerobically fit so I don’t think I am having an issue with the upper heart rate limits–my problem with the heat I think has to do with fluid loss and then a drop in blood pressure. All year round I drink tons of water and load up on the salt, but for whatever reason, this isn’t enough in Maryland’s hot, humid summer weather.

My only riding precaution by my doctor with the PM is to avoid falling on it. Seems like good advice. LOL

Good luck with your new “equipment.” I hope like me you will soon forget you even have the PM and enjoy many good rides in your future knowing your PM is on the job 24/7.

[QUOTE=srg;4922441]
Hey, lucky me! Not only am I a Grade IV Para Rider after an incomplete spinal cord injury, but about 9 years ago I had to have a pacemaker inserted for tachy-brady syndrome. No one ever remembers (including me) that I have a rate responsive PM, except when it is really hot out and then I know I have a “cardiac” issue. I am truly not the same person in the heat.

I am very aerobically fit so I don’t think I am having an issue with the upper heart rate limits–my problem with the heat I think has to do with fluid loss and then a drop in blood pressure. All year round I drink tons of water and load up on the salt, but for whatever reason, this isn’t enough in Maryland’s hot, humid summer weather.

My only riding precaution by my doctor with the PM is to avoid falling on it. Seems like good advice. LOL

Good luck with your new “equipment.” I hope like me you will soon forget you even have the PM and enjoy many good rides in your future knowing your PM is on the job 24/7.[/QUOTE]

do you have a lot of support:)

I have a pacemaker for Mobitz II Heart Block…basically the bottom of my heart doesn’t get the “message” to beat 99% of the time.

Struggling right now with atrial fibrillation, which may mean a PM/Defribulator insertion…

That said - once I got through the initial recovery - I LOVE my pacemaker! I was dealing with a heart rate that could go down below 25bpm…the fatigue, the breathlessness, the blacking out vision, when stand too fast - only one faint (wrecked from my horse - got pacemaker!)

I live my life how I want and never worry about the pacemaker. I doubt I even think about it more than once in a great while. Get it checked over the telephone line every 2 months, get it “downloaded” every 6 months.

My leads are screwed in b/c my doctor knows I ride and is VERY supportive of me being young and active.
He said, even if I have a big wreck, those leads will stay in!!

Did the doctors SAY you can only go up to 140???

OR

Did they say the pacemaker SHUTS OFF after 140??
Mine shuts off after I’m at 150 for 30sec. (just in case fibrillation and NOT exercise)

JMHO!

Coobie, How long have you had it? Sometimes docs want you to not jostle too much for about 3 months after insertion so as to not jostle the lead from the heartwall where it’s up against it. It can take a few weeks or so for some nice scar tissue to form at that point that kinda seals it or attaches it to the wall of the heart better.

Another good source of info is a cardiac rehab program. They are the BEST at advising you on exercise programs and limitations that are appropriate to YOUR situation. They aren’t all the same. PM’s/DF;s are put in for many reasons and your other diagnoses/age/meds etc. may also come into play. Keep asking! Go for it!! Take your pulse and work with it!

You’re not the only one with a pacemaker! I had one installed 2 yrs ago due to complete heart block following a valve replacement. The best thing is to talk to your surgeon…no one knows your situation like he/she will. Luckily, mine is an avid horseback rider and recommended i hold off riding for a while after getting it installed. Just to give myself time for full recovery. She didn’t mention how soon i could ride afterwards so check with your surgeon.

The big problem she had with me riding is the potential of injury to the pacemaker or the leads if i fell from the horse. Pacemakers tend to be very resilent. Apparently the only repair to someone’s leads she’s had to do was because he got attacked by someone wielding a 2 x4. haha She recommended i wear a safety vest so I wear a Charles Owens vest whenever i ride. It’s safety rated and was the only vest i found that covers the entire pacemaker area. It is a little hot wearing it though.

It’s a little scary riding with a pacemaker…and like you I don’t know anyone else in our situation. But I wear my helmet/vest and stick to horses I can handle. Gotta enjoy life!

Okay to answer questions

Its been three yrs. My doc isn’t worried about the PM if I fall off. Yes my surgeon said my maximum HR can’t go over 140. My fitness level needs to improve big time. I’m looking into working with a cardio trainer.
I have already been shocked while riding. 5 times in less than 2 minutes and then ended up in the ER. Its not fun and not something I want to happen again.
Its definetly physical excertion that is the problem. I’ve done things that are nerve racking but not all the physical and been fine.
But I guess its true, its not so much the PM that is the problem but the reason we have it.

Hmmm - the shocking is exactly why I’m resisting getting PM replaced by PM/Def… my heartrate has been jumping up to 210, randomly, when I exercise…

I can see how not knowing WHEN you’ll get shocked could be anxiety provoking!!

Other than that, I think you’ll get so used to your PM that you’ll nearly forget it - I did!

As for getting in shape - I think you’re smart to work with a trainer. Take it slow and you’ll get there!