Unlimited access >

Paddling in the trot

I’m thinking of getting my young Hanoverian mare inspected this fall. She’s a big moving mare with an active hind leg and has a lot of reach in her shoulders with a lot of knee action. Unfortunately that creates paddling with her front legs in trot. Is this more acceptable these days or considered to be a major flaw?
Thanks!

Do you have video?

When having potential horses vetted for eventing and fox hunting paddling was reason for rejection advised by several of the vets I have used. Concern was undue stresses on the shoulder and potential for injury.

I uploaded video to YouTube. Here’s the link.

https://youtube.com/shorts/eKZBBMDK81I?feature=share

I use Cavallo boots on her front hooves since my arena surface is abrasive. Maybe that exacerbates the paddling?

There is a score (or part of a score) for correctness of gaits. That includes winging and paddling. But there are other factors that are considered for gaits - like elasticity, sitting ability, suspension, etc. That has been my experience at inspections.

3 Likes

Lovely big bodied mare! I would think boots could exacerbate movement irregularities in some horses. Could you try putting shoes on her for a few cycles to see if it makes a difference ?

2 Likes

I’d like to see her trot without boots on too, and see her trot straight towards the camera if possible. Circles can make their legs follow a slightly different flight pattern

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m trying to delay putting shoes on her at this point but can see how she moves barefoot.

1 Like

what has you using hoof boots now?

My abrasive footing. I don’t want her to get sore so I was being proactive.

She is hideous. Quick, hide her in my barn.

9 Likes

ok, I get that, not a bad idea. Boots are a funny thing, you have to make sure they are providing the best breakover for the footing and the foot. Not all of them have a good breakover, but one can be rasped in. Some are better for harder footings, some better for softer. Are you working with a hoof care provider to find the best one? Using one that doesn’t work well enough, will alter her way of going and eventually start causing problems

2 Likes

Good point - thanks!

My jumper bred mare paddles a bit up front too and scored 7s and 8s at her inspection last year and is a Premium mare candidate. She’ll do her MPT this year.

As mentioned by SusanO, there is also a “correctness of gaits” score but there are other scores as well.

From the AHS website:
"Gaits – Movement as seen from the front and the rear must be straight with no paddling, winging, or crossing over.

Impulsion and Elasticity – Impulsion must clearly emanate from the hindquarters, traveling through a relaxed back swinging in rhythm with the gait. Movements should be big, yet light and springy.

Walk – The walk must be ground covering, relaxed, and regular. Strides must be even, and footfalls must be correct in their sequence–not lateral or pacing. Freedom of shoulders and haunches and a supple back must be evident."

Paddling will be taken into account, but that doesn’t mean your mare can’t still score well. In my opinion and experience, it would not be a “major” flaw.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The inspectors will look at WHY she’s paddling. She’ll get dinged more if it’s due to limb deviations, and less if it’s due to her inherent movement

1 Like

As others have said, the boots are accentuating the problem. She should theoretically move a bit better without them at her inspection.

However, paddling is a result of a structural defect (toeing in). It will be judged accordingly at any inspection.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I lunged/rode her without the boots today and the paddling was almost nonexistent. The farrier is coming Tuesday so I’ll discuss shoes vs continued barefoot with him.

1 Like

we had a Morgan western pleasure horse who paddled on the left front, it was not a fault in her discipline, she was a very competitive horse who won many overall championships

as for durability she was also used in competitive trail competitions in rides up to 55 miles over a two day period. She did several thousand miles of these rides never to having failed a vet check. Also was a divisional regional champion and nationally ranked in the top five

1 Like

@Amberley that’s infuriating! Inspections aren’t a competition between the horses, they are about each individual on their own merit. Good for that inspector for marking that mare down

That’s not cool that inspectors in general have been ignoring lower leg conformation. That is SO important to long term soundness!