Unlimited access >

Paddock Boots for wider foot

I need paddock boots. I have a pair of Ariat Cobalts in Cordovan that are about 15 years old and are really starting to show it. About 5-8 years ago I bought the Ariat performer pro (2 I think) and they wore through faster than the Cobalts and were definitely less comfortable.

I have a slightly wider than average foot and am a super overpronater. The performer pros, after a few years, were giving me major pain along the outside of my left foot. The cobalts were better, and also had a rounder toe.

I also have a fairly high arch so need lace-up. And I insist on brown. My half chaps are brown so the paddocks need to at least be in the same color category.

I recently bought a pair of blundstones on sale and thought they were perfect until I tried to ride in them. They feel a lot looser than the Ariats- like I’m about to sling one into next Tuesday. They are pull-ons and I’ve tried riding in them in thicker socks and I do wear half-chaps over them. I’ve had them about a week and I’m trying to adjust but I’m not sure it is going to work out. They have also given me a nasty blister.

So lace-up, brown, and either come in wide or have a wider toe box. I know about the Heritage RT but unfortunately have only found them in black. Plus, I’m a bit skeptical of the foot support.

Well, there’s your first world horse-related problem not related to coronavirus.

I also have slightly wider feet and have found the Ariat Terrains to be wider than most Ariat models. They also come in a C width if needed.

Mountain Horse also tends to run wide, and their tall boots fit me well. I haven’t had a pair of their paddock boots, so can’t speak directly to those.

1 Like

My everyday boots are Ariat Terrains in wide. I replace the insole with a custom orthotic because I need better arch support. These hold up really well for me and are very comfortable.

The only other paddock boots that come close to fitting are the Ariat Heritage RT but they are definitely not comfortable enough to wear every day. I have two pairs - the 71/2 are the right length but a little too narrow and the 8 are too long but a good width. Yes, you can call me Goldilocks. :lol:

I typically buy men’s sizes, which come in wide and extra wide options. I order a men’s 9 which is roughly a women’s 11 and that works for me. I also noticed that the price was lower on the men’s black paddock boots versus the women’s style :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you. I was contemplating ariat terrains. But back in the 90s, when “riding sneakers” were a thing, I rode in those but the change on show day to my tall boots was quite the… discombobulator.

I also have a ridiculously small foot and slim ankles with a large calf. My tall boots are Ariat Heritage in a 6.5 extra wide calf and while perfect in the calf, I do get that pain on the left edge of my left foot. My old tall boots, which I’ve kept in case I lose weight 😂 were a 6 wide calf but in the higher end Ariats and do not cause foot pain but cut off circulation to my feet entirely.

What would a 6.5 be in a men’s size? And frankly I think I’m actually a 6 wide but a 6.5 will do.

In general, a women’s size 8 is a men’s size 6. Ish. Give or take a half size. Most men’s shoes and boats only go down to size 8, sometimes 7, very rarely 6.

There is no men’s size equivalent to a women’s size 6. That would put you into the children’s size range.

In some cases, if you have a smaller foot, you can find a “big boys” size that works - Sperry used to make a boat shoe in boys’ size 6 wide that could not have fit me more perfectly if it had been made for me. Of course, they discontinued it.

1 Like

No foot, no horse. We all know this. What we sometimes forget is “no foot, no rider.” Hobbling around in shoes/boots that don’t fit are likely one of the things one might find in one of the levels of Dante’s Inferno. (And who hear remembers Steve Martin’s routine, “The Cruel Shoes”?) What this means is buying quality footwear that fits is as important as having your horse’s feet trimmed and properly shod, having a properly fitted saddle, etc. If you can’t buy effectively “off the shelf” check custom boot makers. You may not need to go all the way to “bespoke” items (which can cost REAL money) but just get a standard combination of items that are sometimes not found on store shelves.

My right foot is almost one, full size different from my left. I can’t buy “off the shelf” boots for this reason. So I can go to Dehner or M.L. Leddy (companies I’ve done business with for years) and get what I need. It’s not cheap, but it’s comfortable and they last. My oldest, functional Leddy boots are going on 7 years of almost daily wear. They get new soles and heels annually (or maybe a bit more). My oldest Dehners (M1941 Three Strap boots) are 16 years old and functional if showing some age. I just budget $250/year for replacement boots. And I budget for good quality cleaning and polishing products, too.

Spend some time with Google looking for custom boot makers. You may find a good one in your area, you may have to mail order. Dehner has representatives in many areas and do a “traveling road show” a couple of times a year.

In all of this keep in mind an old saying: Quality doesn’t cost, it pays.

Good luck in your search.

G.

I bought a pair of the Ariat Heritage paddock boots a few years ago and they were a waste of money. They did not hold up at all, started coming apart and leaking along the sole. If you want “dressy” style paddock boots from Ariat look at the price tag. If they are Cobalts around $200 that’s the best you will find.

I’ve worn Terrains for years. I like the hiking boot style They tend to run a little bigger so I can do a 7 1/2 vs. 8 in the Cobalts. The Ariat Terrain waterproof insulated boot keeps my feet warm in the winter when temps are in the low teens. When I put on an uninsulated pair one day there was a noticeable difference. I wear heavy Smartwool socks year-round.
I almost ordered a pair of Ariat Extreme H2O Insulated paddock boots but wasn’t sure about size. I called the store (Adams Horse Supplies) where you talk to the regular staff. She told me the fit was tight, not like the Cobalt or the Terrain, so she passed.

I found a couple of 20-year-old Ariats and I think I’m going to have them buffed up. Their quality was excellent until they were sold. They still make nice boots but the quality has slipped some. I have sandals that I like, and a couple of pairs of sneaker-style shoes that are nice.

Would these work? Brown, wide, Ariats. I have wide feet and these work for me.

https://www.ariat.com/HRTG_IV_PADDOCK_W_FOO.html?dwvar_HRTG__IV__PADDOCK__W__FOO_color=BLACK

noble now makes a paddock and they have wide widths

That’s the boot I got and it didn’t hold up. The sole started to separate and it leaked. I used them for around a year, maybe, no where near as long as I have gotten from other Ariats. There is not much out there for wide feet, which is why I buy 8s in paddock boots and 7 1/2 in Terrain hiking style.

@Malda Thanks! You know, I checked their website yesterday and I swear I didn’t see anything that came in a wide. Silly that the round toe version doesn’t also come in wide!

Based on Walktrot’s review and my last experience with the performer pro’s I’m going to hold off for now and see if I can get these blundstones to work for me. Although, looks like I won’t be riding in the next week+ so we’ll see. I’m still a bit apprehensive about the footbed on the cheaper quality Ariat’s- I don’t know if the Heritage tall boots and performer pro’s hurt my foot because they aren’t wides or because the foot bed isn’t great.

Thank you!

I have the Dublin Venturers. They are pull on, but the foot is wide. I think they fit a little snugger than the Blundstone boot. I have had a pair for years…I don’t even know how old they are. Truthfully they have done more walking than riding, but I have just recently worn them out (sole is coming away from the boot). Not too expensive either.

I love my Ariat terrains. I bought them on a whim because they were on sale and they’ve become my favorite day to day shoe. I also have wide feet and they are so comfortable I don’t even realize I’m wearing them sometimes.