Unlimited access >

Paddock Boots to Support Ankle Pain?

So, I’ve had a pair of Ariat Brossard Zip boots for about 4 years and since there pretty worn, I think it’s time for a new pair.

I’ve posted before about my ankle and outer calf pain so now that I’m in the market for a new pair of boots for lessoning/hacks, I’m looking into getting a new pair in hopes that I could find something that gives substantial ankle and arch support.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

I’m following for the same reasons, I fractured my ankle in a fall last Oct and its been a “pain” ever since.

I will say that I have noticed that tall boots have supported my ankle much better than what I currently use, paddock boots and half chap combo. So from my experience I could only suggest getting tall boots instead of paddock boots since it is one solid piece of leather versus the break between the paddock boot and half chap.

[QUOTE=cswoodlandfairy;7495450]
I’m following for the same reasons, I fractured my ankle in a fall last Oct and its been a “pain” ever since.

I will say that I have noticed that tall boots have supported my ankle much better than what I currently use, paddock boots and half chap combo. So from my experience I could only suggest getting tall boots instead of paddock boots since it is one solid piece of leather versus the break between the paddock boot and half chap.[/QUOTE]

I do have tall boots, but they don’t help much.

I sprained mine twice within 6 months (the second time due to an on ground horse incident). I had to ride without stirrups for a while and then rode in my Ariat VX and close contact half chaps…the CCs are very stiff and tall boot like. I also used KT tape which helped.

Try lace ups. They are taller than zips and you can lace them pretty tight. And I concur, use KT or some other support bandage.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7495271]
So, I’ve had a pair of Ariat Brossard Zip boots for about 4 years and since there pretty worn, I think it’s time for a new pair.

I’ve posted before about my ankle and outer calf pain so now that I’m in the market for a new pair of boots for lessoning/hacks, I’m looking into getting a new pair in hopes that I could find something that gives substantial ankle and arch support.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great![/QUOTE]

Did you end up finding what causes the outer calf pain? I sometimes get that, but in just my right leg. If you found any exercises off the horse that help, let me know.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7495893]
Did you end up finding what causes the outer calf pain? I sometimes get that, but in just my right leg. If you found any exercises off the horse that help, let me know.[/QUOTE]

No, I haven’t gone to the doctors yet. Trying to get an appointment and then hopefully a referral. The head trainer at my barn (had my first lesson with her last week) told me to stretch out everyday: stand on the stairs with the balls of your feet on the edge and let your heel drop down to stretch your muscles, hold for 30 sec. rest for 10 sec. and repeat a couple times. So far, I haven’t found any difference. She also recommended using a TheraBand to strengthen my ankles.

I so believe I might be having this pain because I get very tense with my leg muscles naturally when I ride because I used to dance. Maybe even ballet could be a reason why I’m having so much pain.

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;7495876]
Try lace ups. They are taller than zips and you can lace them pretty tight. And I concur, use KT or some other support bandage.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think a KT bandage or some kind of tape would help? I don’t want to end up cutting off my circulation.

Check out KT tape…it isn’t like an ace bandage (or vet wrap which I have used). No worry about losing circulation.

https://www.kttape.com/

I have ankle pain as well, and that annoying outer calf pain. For me it’s because I have hyper mobile joints (double jointed) and my ankle rolls under on me. I have found using the tennis show like Ariat Volant paddock boots. Not the new ones that flip up, the older ones. The low tops allow me to wear an ankle brace. A nice proper ankle brace that I can adjust and has boning in it. I also use wedge stirrup pad. Not the kind that angles front to back, but side to side. These I put the high side on the outside and it helps to support my ankles. They are the best thing I have found, and I have tried just about everything. I recommend them to most folks with ankle issues. Even if they don’t work for you they are an inexpensive trial.

I have had more ankle surgeries than I care to count. When I’m riding and have my tall boots on, I’m fine. For barn chores etc. . .I really like a boot I can put my compression ankle sleeve on with. I really like my Tredstep zip paddock boots, and if I’m having a swollen ankle day I will throw half chaps on and ride with them. The brace I wear is a compression brace with gel that runs behind my ankle on both sides, it helps prevent the swelling and pain that I get from being on my feet all day. (Heres the brace http://www.medibrace.com/assets/images/gelforce_ankle.jpg) Hope this helps!

stick with lace up boots, they provide a lot more support than zip ups. I have terrible ankle issues and have tried slip ons and zip ups, but the lace ups are the only ones where I dont feel like Im dying.

Perhaps different stirrups might help as well? I found that jointed stirrups hurt both my ankles and knees and when I switched to the lightweight royal riders (not the flexible ones) - ankles and knees felt markedly better (and I was able to keep my heels down - bonus)!

[QUOTE=LoriW;7497857]
Perhaps different stirrups might help as well? I found that jointed stirrups hurt both my ankles and knees and when I switched to the lightweight royal riders (not the flexible ones) - ankles and knees felt markedly better (and I was able to keep my heels down - bonus)![/QUOTE]

:yes: :yes: :yes: non flex stirrups help tremendously with ankle issues. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but the lack of flex gives your ankles more support so you arent over flexing them.

[QUOTE=LoriW;7497857]
Perhaps different stirrups might help as well? I found that jointed stirrups hurt both my ankles and knees and when I switched to the lightweight royal riders (not the flexible ones) - ankles and knees felt markedly better (and I was able to keep my heels down - bonus)![/QUOTE]

I thought this to be true, but it just didn’t work out for me. In August, I broke my tibia, shattered a piece of my fibula, and dislocated my ankle. I have always used jointed irons but got a pair of the non-jointed wide bed composite stirrups. They caused me so much pain that I sold them after 2 rides.

I also have always worn Ariats, and had a pair that I had purchased since my old pair had to be cut off. There was such a lack of support through the foot that I just wound up riding in sneakers. (I know that’s a no no.)

My barnmate had a pair of Tony Lama paddock boots - which I had no idea even existed - and I swear they are heaven on the feet. Luckily she took my Ariats in trade for her new Tony Lamas and we’re both happy. :slight_smile:

https://www.bootbarn.com/Tony-Lama-Women's-Paddock-Boots/2010532,default,pd.html?dwvar_2010532_color=Black%20Stratford

I did get a pair of Ariat Volant tall boots and they seem to support in the foot much more similarly to a sneaker, so I plan to wear those as well.

After I broke my ankle - I found that lace paddocks gave me more support initially but I liked the convenience of a zipper. Frankly though with having 1 broken ankle and spraining the other twice when I feel I need more support I get an ankle brace from the drugstore - that’s what really helps the most IMO - some are better than others and easily fit w/ shoes or boots - I go thru phases where I need to wear one all the time at work etc.

http://www.walgreens.com/q/ankle+supports