Unlimited access >

Paddock/Pasture Size for a Yearling

Hello. I am in the process of buying a yearling and I want to make sure I have an appropriate environment for the little one to grow up in. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the cost of land is pretty insane and because of that there is essentially no pasture board within an hour of where I live. Fortunately, my parents have some land that they keep their horses on and are willing to let me board there. The paddock that they have open is 1/3rd of an acre. However it may be possible to increase the size to 1/2 an acre. The yearling would have access to play with and learn manners from other horses. They would be out 24/7 with attached covered area. I know that this size of paddock is on the smaller side so I would do frequent hand walking, ponying, etc to make sure they are moving their legs enough.

I just wanted to hear opinions on if this area is too small to raise a young horse in. I wouldn’t want to risk them not developing healthy bones and feet.

All of the breeders and trainers I have talked to but one have said that they think this set up would be totally fine. But I think they may be biased because this space is considered very large for our area (much larger than most would be able to provide). But I don’t want to do it just because it is better than other places in this area.

Additionally, if anyone has links to research done on this topic that would be helpful. I have seen many studies comparing the health of young horses in stalls vs pastures but I haven’t been able to find anything on the size of the pasture required.

1 Like

There was recently a study (don’t have a link) that every acres increases the likelihood of soundness and decreases the likelihood of injury by a significant margin. I saw it on a FB Warmblood Breeder Group I think.

For me, that is a very small space, but sometimes you have to make do. It’s a risk.

My yearling and his yearling buddy have 8 acres, but for the first 3 months had 2 acres because of circumstances and he is very healthy.

2 Likes

we have a yearling who is with a six year old mare, there is really no concern about them Moving as they run from place to place often or when ever the mare gets tired of the young lad. He is a fairly happy lad, always interested and comes running when he sees its time for food.

We like you are in an area where raw land is worth six figures per acre, we have these two in a irregular shaped paddock of about 2/3rd an acre with one long side of about 300 feet

coming back because I found that link for you:

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/study-foals-with-extended-turnout-less-likely-to-experience-injuries-later-in-life

8 Likes

Thanks for your response. It’s nice to know that there are others in a similar situation. I’m glad your little guy is doing well! Wishing you both the best. :slight_smile:

He was little once but now is a 14.2 pushing 14.3 as a long yearling. One advantage of our setup is he is handled daily. He has been to a national show as a weanling where he was not impressed with all the going on but did very well.

1 Like

Thank you. I just read through the original study that this article references and it was exactly what I was looking for! I do agree it would be a risk so I am weighing my options. I have decided to increase the size of the paddock to 0.5 acres. The yearling I am considering purchasing is currently in a 0.8 acre “pasture” with 3 other yearlings. So I feel like coming here isn’t much of a step down but I will keep an eye out for better boarding options.

Where are you located? There might be some COTHers in the area that know of boarding options. I find that big show barns are the only ones that really market, so there may be some private facilities with pasture near you that you haven’t seen or heard of.

Regarding the 1/2 acre, it is small, but if it’s truly the only option then you’ll have to make do. I would definitely get him out at the very least every other day for hand walks - you’d be shocked how much that can do, and is a great way to teach them about the world. I used to hand walk them around the neighborhood - they saw trash cans, dogs, pigs, goats, etc, and came out of kindergarten as well rounded citizens. If you have a trailer, hauling to trail ride locations with a buddy is an excellent way to keep him fit as well. When you start riding him, trail riding is one of the best things to do right off the bat, so he’ll already know the routine and be much quieter.

1 Like

The feature you get with size in pasture, is horse self-developing body and movement skills. A horse who runs often, for longer distences, will develop better muscling, brain connections to manage over different surfaces.

Babies can’t learn to move well, walk BIG, do various speeds of trot, gallop or canter WELL, if he never practices doing that while young. As a rider, you get tired fast if you never practice different gaits and speeds. ESPECIALLY cantering and galloping distances. It builds strength and wind in both of you! Ha ha

Taking baby out ponying will definatly help him develop better in learning movement, adjusting speed to match the ridden horse and building bone strength with impact exercise going straight over distance. Not huge distances, but a couple miles a couple times a week should not be overkill. Bonus is getting him exposed to things away from home, will be easier riding out as he is later trained under saddle.

2 Likes

I’m in the bay area. I’m on the waitlist for a few pasture boarding options but they might be a year + and are not very close to me. I have also found that a lot of places have an age limit. I’ve done a lot of research by asking everyone in the area if they know anything and joining facebook groups without much luck. I would love it if anyone had any other ideas though!

Thanks. That’s a good point that they need to be able to move around not just for proper musculoskeletal development but also to learn how to use their body. There are lots of trails nearby so I plan on hand walking or ponying at least 5 times a week. There is trail access from my parents property and I also have a trailer so I can trailer to other nearby trails for exposure to a variety of places and for trailer practice.

1 Like

I’m also in the Bay area, I will PM you :blush:

1 Like