Unlimited access >

Paddock/Practice Boot Recommendations!

I work at a barn 5 days a week, usually ride multiple horses and do a lot of walking. I usually change out of my riding boots when I’m done riding but it would be nice if I didn’t have to. I currently ride in the newer Ariat Volants and am honestly sick of them. I need some new practice boots! I can do either tall boots or paddock boots and chaps, but I do want a nice and elegant look.
I have done quite a bit of online browsing for some paddock boots/chaps OR tall boots. The Parlanti paddock boots are beautiful but I know I would ruin them in no time. But has anyone worn the K Komfy boots? They would have to be pretty darn amazing to be $400… Please let me know if anyone has tried or knows about Ego7, Tonics, Equiclass, Tucci… whatever!
I need something that will be durable because I live in Montana where the seasons are severe and can be very tough on leather. I am willing to splurge on the right boot but I don’t want to drain my bank account on some boots that will disintegrate in a month.

Bueller?

Dehner paddock boots. They come in widths so you can get a great fit. With postage, just around $300. Order directly from the factory (these are stock boots).

I’ve had Kroop paddock boots for the past couple of decades or so. Classic look but pretty tough.

I bought my Tredsteps 3 years ago and they still look good.

If you want to go the paddock boot route look at Kroops. Pricey but elegant old school option that wears like iron. Any quality black 1/2 chaps will match well, I currently have Tredsteps and have had Ariats in the past. I wear through 1/2 chaps about the Kroops keep on going.

I like the Ariat Devon Pros. Look a little more traditional than the Volants, but still have a ton of support, cushioning, and water resistance. They tend to last a couple of years. If you want sleek, I’d invest in sleek looking half chaps. But if you do a lot of walking and riding, a comfortable footbed is important!

1 Like

Ariat has come out with a new paddock that’s almost identical in style to Tucci paddocks for close to half the price. Two zipper, cut out at front of ankle— very similar look. Called the Kendron Pro (matching half chap with Spanish top available).

1 Like

Good luck, I’m in the same boat as you on the paddock boot search. I typically ride 5-8 horses a day, 4-5 days/week, with lots of walking and bathing and wear and tear. Couldn’t get Tredsteps and general Ariats to last longer than 6 months. Had some inherited Sergio Grassos that lasted nearly a year but I couldn’t justify the price to replace them for 11 months of use.

I’m currently in a pair of Ariat Monaco paddocks that have lasted me 2 years with one repatch job on them - by far the most durable I’ve had in a long time. I got them for a screaming deal at the time; but before the first patch I got about a year of use from them…which I wouldn’t consider durable enough for a $300 price tag.

Interested to see what others recommend.

Would you consider the Blundstones? They aren’t really pretty, but mine have lasted forever, and I do all my barn work and riding in them. They are comfortable, and slip on - which is great because there are no zippers to break. I had my first pair resoled once, and eventually the leather cracked and soles wore out again, but they lasted so long! I’m now on my second pair and Ive had them for a couple years.

1 Like

I have the Tucci Marilyn boots, and though they are beautiful, I’m not sure they would hold up for that kind of use for a long time. I’m a 3X/ week rider and literally only wear them to ride. I change into sperry boat shoes or tennis shoes for anything else at the barn because I don’t want to ruin my paddock boots!

1 Like

I have Ariat paddock boots which look great with my Treadstep half chaps. They are comfortable and seem quite durable.

I’ve actually had my eye on those… I haven’t been able to find any reviews on them so I’m still deciding. They do look very nice though.

Those really are beautiful… I love the snap attachment on the paddock boots.

Yep I had some Ariat tall boots a while back that hardly lasted a year. Then I tried Tredstep tall boots and they lasted about the same! I have had 2 pairs of Volants now that, although comfortable, are just not great quality. So so frustrating trying to find nice looking and durable boots. I show in Parlanti tall boots… those things are definitely not made to last.

YMMV but I have had good luck with the Ariat Devon Pros. I think they are more durable than their other models. They are, of course, also more spendy.

Which Blundstone’s do you have? Considering them for barn work and riding, but not sure which ones would work best.