Unlimited access >

Paddock Vacuums

Didn’t want to hijack an earlier thread - seriously interested in the pros and cons for manure removal of paddock vacuums work vs. the tow and farm mini-collect(http://www.towandfarm.com/collect-mini-p-212.html). Both seem like they have their plusses, but I am concerned about start-ability of the vacuum. I’m bad at even pulling lawnmower starters!

Anyone have either and can comment?

I have the Greystone PaddockVac, it is now 8 years old and I absolutely love it. Mine is the older model and I have never had a problem starting it. My horses are on rotational grazing in the summer, once I move them from one field, I clean up all the manure. I would highly recommend it.

How heavy is the vacuum hose? Is it easy to around?

[QUOTE=bathsheba8542;7498127]
How heavy is the vacuum hose? Is it easy to around?[/QUOTE]

I have the Greystone Maxi vac; the hose isn’t heavy, however, it is bulky and a bit cumbersome to handle. I have arthritis in my wrists and shoulders so it does pose a bit of a challenge to work it from the garden tractor, which is what I use to pull it. It is a very handy thing to have, especially if you have multiple horses. The suction on it is awesome, it will pick up manure that is wet, dry, old you name it. I think having something like a 4 wheeler might make it easier to use since I have to reach over the mower deck on the garden tractor. Definitely a good investment for a farm.

I agree js, the hose is bulky to handle. I had to replace my original hose, I didnt store my machine properly one winter, something fell on it and split it. I bought a longer hose and have found it more manageable. I tow mine with my ATV. In the past, my three horses were turned out on 9 acres and by August, there wasnt much left in the field. I now use 3 acres and split the field into 14 small paddocks, I rotate the horses every day and clean up every day.

I have the Greystone too, and also love it.
The hose can give you a work out, but I’ve seemed to have gotten used to it. I pull it with a riding mower. It’s very easy to start.

I got the Greystone (the regular not the maxi) this week. So far Im very impressed. Yes the hose is a little tricky to handle (and too short for getting inside my stalls…:frowning: ) but overall I am satisfied. And I am glad that I did not get the maxi because my electric golfcart which I use for pulling it couldnt manage it. Its getting problems with the regulare size already when its getting close to be full.
One thing which I havent found out yet. How do I know when its full?? There seems to be no indicators for that…
And the machine is working beautiful. Very clear instructions how to start it. I am horrible with technical details but I was able to start it…

1 Like

Manni01, I know mine is full when it doesnt pick up anymore. My only complaint with the PaddockVac, it doesnt empty as easily as I thought it would, especially if the manure is wet. It really gets packed in tight.

I know mine is getting full when it starts blowing particles out thru the vents on the top (or maybe the filter is just full) but usually when it does that it’s a good time to dump. I keep a hand brush attached that I can brush the filter off each time I dump.

Don’t even have the horses here yet, but with a disc keeping me sleeping on ice, and stomach torn up with ibuprofen this week, I covet one of these already

http://www.towandfarm.com/collect-mini-p-212.html

Anybody have one? Looks awesome. We were considering one of these, but for a bit more, the mini looks like a much better product.

http://www.bigredbarnproducts.com/index.html

Very interested in the Tow and Farm. Will give a review if we commit.

Airhorse, I hope you do so I can benefit from your practical wisdom! I love the way this looks…can’t believe the price though. OUCH.

Interested in thoughts on this option…appears to be usable as a vacuum and it’s much less expensive: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_201882_201882?cm_mmc=Google-pla--Grounds%20Maintenance--Lawn%20Sweepers%20%2B%20Vacuums-_-250500&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=250500&gclid=CNe8wOngwr0CFRQS7AodQB4AWQ

Shoot. Just called and the customer service rep said the vacuum wouldn’t be strong enough…

airhors - I will be very interested in a review if you commit to one. I spoke to someone locally, who has the 1500 and a vacuum. He said they prefer the vacuum as the sweeper required very short grass. I still think the sweeper looks like a better option.

I checked with Tow and Farm to see if they had any used or demo models (hoping to get something a little cheaper), but the response was they had no demos or used models at this time. We are building the barn, putting in the sacrifice area, and outdoor arena this spring, so I need to be really budget conscious.

We have also been searching through Craigslist to see if we can find a used turf debris sweeper for a reasonable price and see if we can alter it to work for manure.

I have used our leaf vac for poop. It works very well, but is time consuming and hard on the arms.

I spoke with this gentleman about his mini, which he uses commercially. Nothing but good things to say after 4 years of hard use.

http://www.safesurroundings.ca/

airhorse, the feedback of the mini being used commercially , for 4 years still going strong is a VALUABLE input! thank you!

Another happy owner of the Greystone maxi vac. The only time mine got plugged is when I was picking a huge hardened clump of poop. It was too wide to fit through the flexible, bent hose. So my fault.

I will say it’s hard to empty if you have a situation where you can’t empty it down into a pile or bin from a drop or higher position. Because you have to tip the vacuum from its horizontal position to a vertical position in order to empty it, it’s ideal to dump down into a bin or what have you. Otherwise, if you are trying to dump onto a level surface the poop will pile onto itself and the vacuum will not fully empty.

1 Like