Unlimited access >

Paid deposit now seller is ignoring?

Ditto gottagrey.

I would be collect all possible evidence up to this second, and be on the phone to the actual owner so fast that agent is going to spin. Don’t let them put you off. If they don’t talk to you, leave a message asking what the heck kind of scam this is, and you want to speak to them right away or you will consider them in collusion with the scamming agent.

Then, I would go to your lawyer, the police, everything. Let them rectify it. Or not. Don’t hesitate. I hope you have done all this all ready.

^^This.^^

Now that you’re sure of what kind of person you’re dealing with, it’s time to involve law enforcement. Get copies of the ad, save all text/e-mail messages, and get proof of where the cash came from (ATM withdrawal, bank statement, etc) for the deposit.

Good luck. Horse shopping is traumatic enough without dealing with thieves and liars.

If you don’t have any horse friends Who can speak the lingo, p.m. me and I’d be happy to call the cell phone number and inquire about the horse.

Good idea, Pennywell!

[QUOTE=ESG;8152646]
Good idea, Pennywell![/QUOTE]

Pennywell dons black cape and mask… :wink:

<ESG applauding Pennywell’s superhero alter ego>

Wow, op, any update?

This is upsetting for me, too, just to read about.

[QUOTE=Pennywell Bay;8152643]
If you don’t have any horse friends Who can speak the lingo, p.m. me and I’d be happy to call the cell phone number and inquire about the horse.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! Not a bad idea!

[QUOTE=Flash44;8153046]
Wow, op, any update?[/QUOTE]

Tried calling owner and agent multiple times yesterday as well. Nada! Finally received a text from selling agent saying people are trying him today and he will call me next week. When I responded with needing my refund, no answer.

I called the sheriffs office and they told me to wait till Monday for non-emergency and writing up a report. Also got all the paperwork for small claims court.

Thank you so much for everyones input. This whole situation has really made horse shopping miserable.

That agent has such nerve!! Someone is trying the horse you bought?? WTH! I so hope you get your money back. And I’m really sorry this is happening. Horses bring out the crook in some people.

Yikes. Maybe text him back saying that you have contacted the police to write up a police report and you will taking legal action against him. Time to go crazy horselady apeshit on him and get your money back.

[QUOTE=thoroughbred21;8153202]
That agent has such nerve!! Someone is trying the horse you bought?? WTH! I so hope you get your money back. And I’m really sorry this is happening. Horses bring out the crook in some people.[/QUOTE]
I think they are trying to sell him for more money. If your contract is in fact a document binding you and seller to the sale then let the agent know you are outraged at the unethical conduct and will be taking action.

Can you post this information somewhere public that will affect agent and seller. And let them know it’s going to happen.

However if you considered this a deposit pending further information, PPE, etc and not a done deal then they may think they have some wiggle room.

Awful people.

E-mails are great but it’s time for the Certified Letter, Return Receipt Requested. It’s slow but will generally cause a change in behavior.

You’ll likely have to contact law enforcement in the seller and/or agent’s county. They will likely call it a “commercial dispute” but the the report anyway.

Good luck in the project.

G.

[QUOTE=Guilherme;8153211]
E-mails are great but it’s time for the Certified Letter, Return Receipt Requested. It’s slow but will generally cause a change in behavior.

You’ll likely have to contact law enforcement in the seller and/or agent’s county. They will likely call it a “commercial dispute” but the the report anyway.

Good luck in the project.

G.[/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what you need to do next. Have this letter at the post office tomorrow.

For proof that you contacted them I believe Certified letter return receipt showing they signed is just about the only thing a court will accept if it goes that far. Hopefully it won’t… but you need to protect yourself.

:eek:

The nerve. I agree, they probably are trying to get more money out of the horse. Extremely unethical.

Certified letter ASAP. Though I would also be letting them know verbally that you have contacted the police and are filing a report. If you have a lawyer, having them send a certified letter might get the seller/agents attention.

[QUOTE=jennycash;8153183]
Tried calling owner and agent multiple times yesterday as well. Nada! Finally received a text from selling agent saying people are trying him today and he will call me next week. When I responded with needing my refund, no answer.

I called the sheriffs office and they told me to wait till Monday for non-emergency and writing up a report. Also got all the paperwork for small claims court.

Thank you so much for everyones input. This whole situation has really made horse shopping miserable.[/QUOTE]

I would have texted back demanding to know why somebody is trying a horse that you have a signed sales contract for!!!

Maybe COTH BB rules prohibit this, but if not, how about outting the seller/agent here? I could see how potential buyers might value this information.

I, too, would be contacting them why they’re showing a horse you have a deposit on without informing you.

And I’d out them and the story on every internet site available to me.

I would think long and hard before doing this, but here the horse community is small, and there are “beware” groups on fb. Also, you can tell your side on fb, and if people just happen to pm you for names…so be it.
I’d probably choose the legal route first though.:slight_smile: